PDA

View Full Version : Too Early for Englestead???

qedcook
04-13-2009, 09:34 AM
A group is heading down to Zion. We were thinking of two fo the following: Behunin, Spry, Misery, or Englestead. I'm not too worried about Spry or Behunin, but not sure about the other two. If we did Englestead, we probably wouldn't take Orderville out. Any word on the current conditions on any of these canyons, or Zion in general? I was there in February and there was still a ton of snow on the ground. What's it like now?

ratagonia
04-13-2009, 10:13 AM
A group is heading down to Zion. We were thinking of two fo the following: Behunin, Spry, Misery, or Englestead. I'm not too worried about Spry or Behunin, but not sure about the other two. If we did Englestead, we probably wouldn't take Orderville out. Any word on the current conditions on any of these canyons, or Zion in general? I was there in February and there was still a ton of snow on the ground. What's it like now?

I'm not sure the North Fork road is open to Orderville, yet. Engelstead can be hazardous with lots of Ice overhanging the canyon bottom, falling down on a regular basis. It is still freezing at night up here these days.

ACTUAL reports of conditions would be nice, if anyone has them...

Tom

nelsonccc
04-13-2009, 01:14 PM
We tried Englestead the last week of April last year and we turned back. The ice cone coming up from the bottom of the big rap looked to be 15-20' tall. During melt-off there is a small stream that occurs right next to the tree that anchors the first rap and this had formed an ice face most of the way down the 300 foot rap. I'd been in there several times before and I could see that where the 2nd rap starts was completely under ice and snow and it looked from the rim that you would be on snow bridges about 15-20 feet above canyon floor after the 2nd rap. So we did Birch instead and there was a lot of snow in there too.

Good luck.

ratagonia
04-13-2009, 02:01 PM
We tried Englestead the last week of April last year and we turned back. The ice cone coming up from the bottom of the big rap looked to be 15-20' tall. During melt-off there is a small stream that occurs right next to the tree that anchors the first rap and this had formed an ice face most of the way down the 300 foot rap. I'd been in there several times before and I could see that where the 2nd rap starts was completely under ice and snow and it looked from the rim that you would be on snow bridges about 15-20 feet above canyon floor after the 2nd rap. So we did Birch instead and there was a lot of snow in there too.

Good luck.

This year is drier and warmer than last year. Kinda sorta...

T

Alex
04-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I just came back from Zion Pondorosa, not sure how close it is to the canyons, but we got an inch of snow on Saturday.

ratagonia
04-13-2009, 02:58 PM
I just came back from Zion Pondorosa, not sure how close it is to the canyons, but we got an inch of snow on Saturday.

Any Intel on the North Fork Road? snow on the ground, in the woods, up there??

Tom