PDA

View Full Version : College Papers

blueeyes
04-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Ok it has been two years since graduating. I kept everything 8 file size boxes full of homework. Do I just toss it? :ne_nau: I plan on keeping the books I do use those frequently and anything chemistry as I sometimes teach the chem labs.

Did any of you regret tossing all your blood, sweat and tears?

Mtnman1830
04-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I have kept my college papers. In fact, I was cleaning out my shed and came across a play I wrote in highschool english. (circa 1992)

BruteForce
04-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I still have some of my High School papers. Nothing like going into the way-back machine 20+ years later.

A month ago, I discovered some Dungeons and Dragons stuff I made in 1982! Talk about going back! WOW!

It was cool showing my kids what I did way back then..

cachehiker
04-04-2009, 07:11 PM
I kept maybe 1 file size box of stuff but college was a lesson in persistance for me. A lot of the material was obsolete long before I managed to graduate.

I kept the 20 page computer program that beat the rest of the class in Score Four. I kept the 70 page paper on software engineering after the professor said it would've been enough to satisfy a thesis. There's a few other things but 10 years later it's down to a relatively fat file folder.

On the other hand, I look at what remains and wonder "Who programs in Pascal on a VAX 11/780 anymore?"

BruteForce
04-04-2009, 07:37 PM
On the other hand, I look at what remains and wonder "Who programs in Pascal on a VAX 11/780 anymore?"

When I went to University, it was all about Pascal, Machine language and Cobol!

KapitanSparrow
04-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I kept all my papers, essays, exams, quizes. Books I kept some. Well all of them but recently I told my mom to throw out everything if she needs space.

greyhair biker
04-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I still have some management training books & some Bradley First Responder manuals. Honestly, I get more out of the many, many bicycle instruction manuals & schematics than anything else...........except for my BoyScout manual...that comes in handy still :lol8:

Sombeech
04-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I've completely thrown everything out from college; books, reports, papers, and thoughts. I've never looked back.

I don't have a high opinion of college anyways.

cachehiker
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM

I can officially claim to have played with an Altair, the first personal computer available on the retail market. No keyboard and no monitor, programmed with switches on the front panel and programs loaded off of a cassette tape. I heard my junior high science teacher eventually made some upgrades involving a monitor and keyboard though. God that makes me feel old.

A COBOL program to sort records according to the frequency of orders on an IBM 360 was my first taste of programming. It was entered using punch cards in a batch system at Weber State. Mine was the only one of about 15 that compiled without an error. Although it ran, it basically fubared the database, duplicating a bunch of records instead or sorting them. It was still good for an A- as a senior in high school.

Iceaxe
04-06-2009, 08:39 AM

I learned to program in Fortran on punch cards. My first programing class was 1979.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2831963/2/istockphoto_2831963_punch_card.jpg

You had to sit at a key punch machine to write your program...

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/images/4506VV4002.jpg

cachehiker
04-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I learned to program in Fortran on punch cards. My first programing class was 1979.

You got me beat by 2 years. :moses: You must be really old! :lol8:

My first experience with a computer was 1978 but my first programming class wasn't until 1981 on Apple II's in Applesoft Basic and on the IBM mainframe in COBOL with punch cards.

Iceaxe
04-06-2009, 11:11 AM
My first programming was with the HP 67 and 97 introduced in 1976. I was 16 and writing engineering programs for just about every engineering and detailing firm in SLC. My dad had the first programable HP's in Utah and I was fasinated with them. I tought myself to program them and made a lot of money in my spare time for about a year doing nothing but writing programs for the 67/97. Did the same thing a few years later when the HP 41 was introduced. My first 41 was serial number 5.

Cirrus2000
04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
You had to sit at a key punch machine to write your program...

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/images/4506VV4002.jpg
Jeez, I didn't even recognize you in that photo. Sure looked respectable...

1979/80 for me - 10th grade, pencil on the cards, BASIC. Basic, basic, BASIC.

Iceaxe
04-06-2009, 12:03 PM

If that was me I would have probably been wearing big bell bottoms and platform shoes about that time....

:five:

Wasatch Rebel
04-06-2009, 12:46 PM
There's one paper that I've missed a lot over the years, and that was a comparison paper on types of sleeping bags for a Wilderness Survival class. Then again, maybe I should just rewrite it as things have changed so much since the late 70s that it would be outdated for sure--although it would be a good starting point. I kept all of my English papers (I was an English major), and have never used them.

Oh, I just remembered another paper I wrote which was a comparison/contrast paper on societies around the world. The two I chose were the Blackfoot Indians, and the Afghani tribes. I remember mentioning to my dad that I had written that paper (about ten years ago is when I mentioned it), and he wanted to read it. I couldn't find it, so I must have chucked it.

Ih8grvty
04-06-2009, 12:57 PM

If that was me I would have probably been wearing big bell bottoms and platform shoes about that time....

ME TOO!
but of course I was 8 or 9 (79/80) and I wore what momma bought.
You had a choice, please tell me atleast that it was not the same plaid crap I was wearing.

CrazyFinn
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM

That dude worked for IBM I'll bet. Thats the way they dressed back then. Shirt and Tie. :nod: