PDA

View Full Version : Roost Conditions and Trip Report

AJ
03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey all,

So we did end up getting out to the Roost and did most of the Robbers Roost Canyon system. For the first time, I fell prey to the different naming conventions. I didn

ratagonia
03-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Excellent, thanks for the report...

you still have the Middle Fork, Lost Spring Forks, all too many North Forks and the several forks between Mind Bender and Not Bindbender to do - Almost, Maybe and Unlikely... before you can claim the tick on the Robbers Roost Canyon System! :nod:

Tom :moses:

CarpeyBiggs
03-29-2009, 10:27 PM
dammit tom, don't give him any ideas! he'll have 'em done by thursday.

Iceaxe
03-30-2009, 08:05 AM
[quote=AJ]For the first time, I fell prey to the different naming conventions. I didn

CarpeyBiggs
03-30-2009, 08:38 AM
+1 Ice.

You should set up a dummy account and include the name and password in your TR so we can see those damned photos. I hate signing up for crap.

AJ
03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Excellent, thanks for the report...

you still have the Middle Fork, Lost Spring Forks, all too many North Forks and the several forks between Mind Bender and Not Bindbender to do - Almost, Maybe and Unlikely... before you can claim the tick on the Robbers Roost Canyon System! :nod:

Tom :moses:

Yeah, I know. We got a bunch of it done though. Had I figured out that NMF and LMF were NMB and Mindbender; I would have gotten some of the other ones done. Oh well, gives me stuff to look forward to on another trip!

Do you have info on some of those? Almost, Maybe and Unlikely? I've upclimbed a few of the forks on MB and NMB, as well as other Roost canyons; but would love to know the ones I'm missing. I'm sure there's plenty...

Thanks!
A.J.

trackrunner
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
+1 Ice.

You should set up a dummy account and include the name and password in your TR so we can see those damned photos. I hate signing up for crap.

He did. maybe he can repost the username and password again.

AJ
03-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Don't say I didn't try to warn ya..... :lol8:

Yeah, I looked on climb-utah; and it just didn't register. Had too many details going on in my mind at the time I guess. Feel free to slap me upside the head if you think I'm about to do that again... ;)

Thanks for the update on conditions. :2thumbs:

I wish you would use something other then snapfish to post your pictures. They make you join up to view the pics.... so I never bother. I'm guessing I'm not the only one....

Happy you had a good trip....

:rockon:

C'mon guys. I already set up a dummy account; didn't know I'd have to post it with EVERY trip report... ;)

snapfish09@yahoo.com
pwd:
photos09

Enjoy!

goofball
03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
nice pics.

we were on our way to do sfrr all the way down and out angel trail a couple weekends ago, btu when passing devils canyon area decided we couldn't wait to get on the ground so stopped there. no regrets, but still need to do sfrr !

i was disappointed in the nmb slot, but those huge, sweeping, tiger striped walls of the narrows were fantastic.

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/42819/2621724730054335321S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2621724730054335321nBTVcD)

AJ
03-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Glad you liked the pics.

You should definitely do SFRR. I thought it was a good canyon. I'd definitely go the one day route too. Nice to not be carrying heavy packs for the hike. Now that I know we can do it in less than 10 hrs, it's definitely the way I'd go if I do it again too...

Yeah, the walls in NMB are definitely beautiful.

Take care,
A.J.

nice pics.

we were on our way to do sfrr all the way down and out angel trail a couple weekends ago, btu when passing devils canyon area decided we couldn't wait to get on the ground so stopped there. no regrets, but still need to do sfrr !

i was disappointed in the nmb slot, but those huge, sweeping, tiger striped walls of the narrows were fantastic.

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/42819/2621724730054335321S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2621724730054335321nBTVcD)

CarpeyBiggs
03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
what do you expect? if you use a crappy image host, you are going to have to help us out if you want people to look at them. i'd say post the dummy account every time, because i sure as heck ain't gonna look for it.

:five:

AJ
03-30-2009, 11:16 PM
what do you expect? if you use a crappy image host, you are going to have to help us out if you want people to look at them. i'd say post the dummy account every time, because i sure as heck ain't gonna look for it.

If you want to move my 6K+ photos, I'll switch hosts. :wink:

I'll try to remember to post the dummy account for you every time, your highness... :roll:

Joking aside, you around the Roost the weekend of 4/16 Dan? If so, I'll have a group at Motel 6. Would be great to see you again and catch up. We'll be doing the evening potluck and fire. You are welcome to hit some canyons with us too. It's been a while...

Later,
A.J.

CarpeyBiggs
03-31-2009, 07:47 AM

If you want to move my 6K+ photos, I'll switch hosts. :wink:

I'll try to remember to post the dummy account for you every time, your highness... :roll:

Joking aside, you around the Roost the weekend of 4/16 Dan? If so, I'll have a group at Motel 6. Would be great to see you again and catch up. We'll be doing the evening potluck and fire. You are welcome to hit some canyons with us too. It's been a while...

Later,
A.J.

i won't switch your hosts, but consider using picasa. it is so dang simple, even if you uploaded to snapfish and picasa, it would take like 12 more seconds.

as for 4/16, i will be in cedar mesa. it has definitely been awhile. when you going back for the cricket again?

CarpeyBiggs
03-31-2009, 07:48 AM
btw, great photos. glad i got to see them :2thumbs:

so what's the story on lost spring forks? anyone done them?

Iceaxe
03-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the dummy link.... you have to remember that most of us on Bogley are mentally challenged.... that's why we are here... :haha:

So yeah... you probably need to post the dummy account every time.

The pics are nice. :thumb:

Iceaxe
04-01-2009, 12:01 PM

I'll try to get the Lost Springs routes added to Climb-Utah within the next week. They are currently sitting in the to-do pile that is building up fast on my desk.

:2thumbs:

ratagonia
04-01-2009, 12:36 PM

I'll try to get the Lost Springs routes added to Climb-Utah within the next week. They are currently sitting in the to-do pile that is building up fast on my desk.

:2thumbs:

Are you the only person in recorded history to actually go all the way through the slot?

Tom

Iceaxe
04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Are you the only person in recorded history to actually go all the way through the slot?

Don't be a retard.... just sayin' I'll post a route description within the next few days for anyone who might be interested.... for those not interested please feel free to skip ahead to the next post.

:cool2:

CarpeyBiggs
04-01-2009, 01:53 PM
lol. he's not being a retard. he is asking you if you have actually made it all the way through the slot, as there is a history of folks only looking at it... (i.e. kelsey)

Iceaxe
04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
My apologies.... I guess I missed the memo...

Scott P
04-01-2009, 07:42 PM
My apologies.... I guess I missed the memo...

It was a hot topic in the canyons group today and yesterday.

ratagonia
04-01-2009, 10:55 PM
lol. he's not being a retard. he is asking you if you have actually made it all the way through the slot, as there is a history of folks only looking at it... (i.e. kelsey)

Kelsey with Scott P, I think. I went out there with the Talboys a few years ago, and we looked in at the rappel, but it looked like there was water down there so nobody was game for going down. So count me in on the "look, but better not touch" cru.

Stressful day - getting the light and dark sides confused...

T :moses:

AJ
04-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Glad you guys liked the pics.

i won't switch your hosts, but consider using picasa. it is so dang simple, even if you uploaded to snapfish and picasa, it would take like 12 more seconds.

Sorry. Just going to stick to my original system. I added the dummy account to my website for you though. www.adventure-geek.com - in the heading under Trips.

as for 4/16, i will be in cedar mesa. it has definitely been awhile. when you going back for the cricket again?

If your plans change, and you are closer to the Roost, feel free to drop by. We'll be doing a potluck on Fri and Sat nights. If our plans change, and we end up in North Wash (bad weather) then maybe we'll swing your way. Where you going to be? (If we are in the wash, we'll be at Sandthrax.)

Hoping to do Cricket again this year. Likely fall. Definitely want another shot at that pothole...

Take care,
A.J.

kd7kmp
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
AJ,

You probably saw my group as we were heading down the South Fork Friday and Saturday. We had about 15 people ranging in age from 11 to 55. It was a great trip and everyone (well, almost everyone) really enjoyed it. We didn't get up to Angel point until about 7:30 pm due to the size of our group and the numerous rest stop that were made.

Kevin

AJ
04-13-2009, 08:22 AM
AJ,

You probably saw my group as we were heading down the South Fork Friday and Saturday. We had about 15 people ranging in age from 11 to 55. It was a great trip and everyone (well, almost everyone) really enjoyed it. We didn't get up to Angel point until about 7:30 pm due to the size of our group and the numerous rest stop that were made.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Yep, I'm assuming it was you guys that we ran across. Picked up and gave back a biner and a glove, etc. (Didn't see any other groups and/or vehicles that weekend, so it was likely just our two groups in the canyon...)

Some of your guys looked a little pooped; we were wondering if you guys were going to make it out on Saturday or not... We saw you guys pick up your vehicle from the SFRR start, so we were glad that you made it out on Saturday. Hope everyone had a great time!

Take care,
A.J.