PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering - Getting some Skills

Iceaxe
03-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I few items I have noticed over the years that will make you a better canyoneer......

When pulling down your rappel line do it in a nice, slow smooth action. Once the rope begins to move try and maintain a slow constant speed. I watch a lot of canyoneers pull the rope down in big handfuls. This causes the tail end of the rope to move around and I have seen the tail catch in cracks. I once watched a rope being pulled down in big handfuls actual tie a knot in itself just as the tail was about to whip through the anchor.

When retrieving your ropes watch the tail end of the rappel line as it leaves the ground. Make certain the rope has no twists or knots. You would be amazed at the number of times I have stopped a knot or problem twist at ground level. Nothing worse then watching a group try and figure out what to do about the knot in the end of their rope that is now 30' in the air. This is double important for groups using eights, Piranha or other rope twisters....

Always test the rope pull before the last man down. This extra 5 seconds will save you lots of trouble.

Beginners carry way too much crap... why do they do this? Because they don't know what they actually need. The worst offenders are the guys who took a canyoneering class and only have a couple of canyons under their belt. So.... if you are a grey bread make it a habit to check the rookies packs before leaving the trailhead. If you are a rookie and your pack weights move then the big dog in the group you are carrying to much crap and you need to toss some junk. If you are a group of rookies, consider holding a group meeting and at least decide on group gear. One set of ascenders, one first aid kit, one yada yada will do in must cases, not everyone needs to be carrying one of everything. Light is right and lighter is righter....

Learn to climb with your pack on. Nothing slower than a group that has to pass packs up and down every drop and obstacle. Learning to climb with your pack on is easy, you will master it after a few canyons and it will make you much faster. One other advantage.... you will always have your pack (which means all your gear) with you at all times.

Learn to rappel with your pack on. Learning to rappel with your pack on is easy, you will master it after a few canyons and it will make you much faster. One other advantage.... you will always have your pack (which means all your gear) with you at all times. Watching people who hang their packs annoys the hell out of me. In addition to it being agonizingly slow I have witnessed several accidents where the hanging pack knocked rocks on those standing below.

Do your own navigating, even if you are not the leader. Navigating is something everyone gets better at with practice. And it's always good to know where you are at and what your escape plan is in case of an emergency.

This is something for the real noob's... When on slick rock your foot goes flat on the rock. The more rubber on the rock the better your traction. Learn to walk in what mountaineers call a "French Step" (Flat-Footing). Learning to hike this way will also save your calf mussels.

If you are strictly a Zion Canyoneer and want to improve your skills at a much faster clip visit an area outside of Zion. Visiting a place like North Wash, Robbers Roost or Poison Springs will really open your eyes and broaden you experience and education.

There are exceptions to everything I posted above....

I'm sure I'll think of some more things to add.... or feel free to add your own thoughts or ask questions....

:cool2:

Brian in SLC
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM
This is something for the real noob's... When on slick rock your foot goes flat on the rock. The more rubber on the rock the better your traction. Learn to walk in what mountaineers call a "French Step" (Flat-Footing). Learning to hike this way will also save your calf mussels.

I likes my mussels steamed in a nice white wine sauce with some fresh parsley and shallots...

It's "French technique", literally, pied

Iceaxe
03-23-2009, 11:45 AM
And I like my calves barbecued..... :lol8:

Iceaxe
03-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I split "The Sharp End" into it's own thread....

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165191

price1869
03-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I few items I have noticed over the years that will make you a better canyoneer......

Learn to rappel with your pack on. Learning to rappel with your pack on is easy, you will master it after a few canyons and it will make you much faster. One other advantage.... you will always have your pack (which means all your gear) with you at all times. Watching people who hang their packs annoys the hell out of me. In addition to it being agonizingly slow I have witnessed several accidents where the hanging pack knocked rocks on those standing below.

Shane, I find this part interesting. I agree with you that rapping w/ the pack isn't hard, but I always thought that those who hang it do it as a safety precaution. It keeps your balance low and prevents you from flipping upside down in an awkward situation or accident.

As per the other suggestions, they're pretty spot on. Especially down climbing w/ your pack. In fact, just keep that thing attached to you as much as possible. I've been in a couple spots when I've not had the gear I needed because of the laziness of a pack toss.

Iceaxe
03-24-2009, 11:24 AM
As I said, there are exceptions to everything I posted. If I'm doing the 300' free air Heaps rappel I'm hanging my pack....

...But....

I have seen dozens of accidents and near accidents caused by hanging packs. I can't remember ever personally seeing an accident caused by not hanging the pack. The problem with hanging packs is the packs are hard to control and often knock rock and debris loose and rain it down on people, ropes and gear below. Yeah, I know you are supposed to stand outside the splash zone. But objects falling from the sky are dangerous. Beginners like bottom belays, beginners are more likely to knock debris down, beginners are more likely to hang packs in the wrong situation. I don't like hanging packs....

The items I posted are just things I've noticed over the years. YMMV...

:cool2:

Iceaxe
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I always thought that those who hang it do it as a safety precaution. It keeps your balance low and prevents you from flipping upside down in an awkward situation or accident.

The flipping upside down on rappel thing is usually a problem with overweight people and/or heavy packs because the center of gravity is so high. If that is a concern try this little trick instead of hanging your pack...

Take a quick draw and attach it to the haul loop at the top of your pack. After you have hooked up your rappel reach behind your head and grab the free end of the quick draw and clip it into the rope over your shoulder..... now you will never flip upside down.... and even better.... you have created a back rest for the ride down the rope. this trick works really sweet....

:2thumbs: