PDA

View Full Version : Groceries along way south from SLC

ststephen
03-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Soon I'll be needing to stock up on food for car camping and backpacking after we fly in to SLC. I plan to stop at the REI in Sandy for things like iso-butane and propane.

Does anyone have a favorite grocery store close to I-15? I understand I may not have the gourmet items I'm used to in CA, but at least I hope I can find the staples for camping. You know like foie gras, black truffle oil and artisanal goat cheese :roflol:

Seriously, just looking to make an efficient stop along the way with a good selection of stuff. Oh and I'll need some good beer too!

I would say that something like a Trader Joes would be very nice, but I see they are not yet out in UT.

denaliguide
03-21-2009, 10:33 PM
theres a super walmart south of slc. i think its in spanish fork, is that right? it's just right next to the highway.

CarpeyBiggs
03-21-2009, 10:35 PM
theres a super walmart south of slc. i think its in spanish fork, is that right? it's just right next to the highway.

there is one off university avenue in orem. also one close to I-15 in springville. not sure about SF.

denaliguide
03-21-2009, 10:51 PM

there is one off university avenue in orem. also one close to I-15 in springville. not sure about SF.

springville, thats the one i was thinking of. :2thumbs:

blueeyes
03-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Harmons

I am falling in love with Harmons. They have awesome homemade bread selection, cheese monger (sp??), good produce, great meat selection.

But I only know of the one up in Ogden. Out of your way. Maybe those in SLC area could tell you where a Harmons is.

ststephen
03-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Harmon's has a website and shows a location right off the Fwy at Bangerter Hwy in Draper.

Walmart will be good for name brand stuff and even maybe a cheap propane grill to use and give away ($20 according to their website), then Harmon's for special bread and cheese and other treats to keep us happy for the week.

Now if I can just finish up taxes so I can file before we leave...

Mtnman1830
03-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Harmons

I am falling in love with Harmons. They have awesome homemade bread selection, cheese monger (sp??), good produce, great meat selection.

But I only know of the one up in Ogden. Out of your way. Maybe those in SLC area could tell you where a Harmons is.

Harmon's is great. They have a big selection of cheeses from all over the world. (I would suggest the Roaring 40's Blue Cheese). Besides, it's a 'local' store.

They don't have over-fed goose livers, but you should be able to find something.

Don
03-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the tips!

Harmon's has a website and shows a location right off the Fwy at Bangerter Hwy in Draper.

Walmart will be good for name brand stuff and even maybe a cheap propane grill to use and give away ($20 according to their website), then Harmon's for special bread and cheese and other treats to keep us happy for the week.

Now if I can just finish up taxes so I can file before we leave...

I have lunch from that Harmons salad bar a couple times a week. Great salad bar, beautiful cheese selection and they make their own bratwurst in house! That's the place you want to go.

ststephen
03-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Harmons

Harmon's is great. They have a big selection of cheeses from all over the world. (I would suggest the Roaring 40's Blue Cheese). Besides, it's a 'local' store.

I love a good Blue. I make a killer burger out of ground sirloin, mixed w/shallots and smothered in a Blue like Roaring 40's. :naughty: