PDA

View Full Version : Where to hike Saturday?

Wasatch Rebel
03-18-2009, 07:45 PM
I basically have five hours to leave home, hike and return on Saturday. My son-in-law who is going with me doesn't want any hiking in the snow. I live in SL Valley and my SIL lives at University Village. So, where can I go in the time allotted that won't have snow? I've thought of Antelope Island. Any other suggestions?

Scout Master
03-18-2009, 08:50 PM
I have been hiking along the Bonneville Shoreline trail between Kaysville and Bountiful it is 95 percent snow free. Antelope Island would also be great. but will take an hour to get out there.

asdf
03-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Unless you are headed down south I am with Scout Master ... BST or Antelope are your best options right now.

Wasatch Rebel
03-19-2009, 12:40 PM
So how do I get to the Bonneville Trail? I've never hiked it before.

Wasatch Rebel
03-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Here's something interesting about the Bonneville Shoreline Trail we hiked today. At first, we couldn't find the trail, and then we did, just below the Bountiful Lion's Gun Club. We were on the trail when some shooters up above us yelled at us, that we were on gun club property. Not being exactly sure that we were on the right trail, as it wasn't labeled, we backtracked, and drove around until we found another way on to the trail. We talked to a guy at the other access point and he said that the trail we were on below the gun club was indeed the right trail and that if those shooting would've been nice guys, they would've just waited until we went on down the trail. He said that BBs do land on the trail area sometimes, but have lost velocity and aren't deadly.

Anyway, the trail was nice, and we found three geocaches, one by accident, so it was a great day to be out and about. :rockon:

Scout Master
03-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Well If you had told me you were Cachers I would have just given you the coords. I have also hiked below that gun range and could hear the bird shot hitting the leaves close to me. Unfortunately through all of Davis County the BST is a disconnected network of roads and trails running from Weber canyon all the way to Bountiful those of us who live up here have learned to hike and Cache all through the area. Sometimes it is diffacult to find the trail heads then when you do they dead end at the next canyon or someones back yard. Any way, glad you had a good hike. Maybe next time we can hook up and do some caches.
see you on the Trail

Wasatch Rebel
03-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Well If you had told me you were Cachers I would have just given you the coords. I have also hiked below that gun range and could hear the bird shot hitting the leaves close to me. Unfortunately through all of Davis County the BST is a disconnected network of roads and trails running from Weber canyon all the way to Bountiful those of us who live up here have learned to hike and Cache all through the area. Sometimes it is diffacult to find the trail heads then when you do they dead end at the next canyon or someones back yard. Any way, glad you had a good hike. Maybe next time we can hook up and do some caches.
see you on the Trail

Actually, I'm not used to hiking with caching in mind--I just took up the sport last year. Then I thought, well, since I'm going I may as well see if we can find some caches along the way. My son-in-law who is a bit out of shape, twisted his ankle, so we stuck to the main thoroughfare--although there were some caches shown higher up in the canyons that looked like they might be fun to try for some time. Thanks for the info!

tmartenst
03-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Good stuff.

BTW, for something closer to SLC, the Pipeline trail in Millcreek Canyon was 95% snow free when we did it last week. Since it hasn't snowed, it would be even more snow free by now.

Wasatch Rebel
03-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Good stuff.

BTW, for something closer to SLC, the Pipeline trail in Millcreek Canyon was 95% snow free when we did it last week. Since it hasn't snowed, it would be even more snow free by now.

Thanks. I was wondering what the snow level was like in the local canyons, but when you hear that there are still near 90 inches up at Alta, Snowbird, and the rest, you kind of lose hope that the trails won't have some pockets of deep snow still on them, even down that low. It's good to know that it's melting up there.

Wasatch
03-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Maybe up Mt. Olympus to at least Tolcat Canyon.