PDA

View Full Version : St. Paddy's celebrations

savanna3313
03-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Anyone doing anything fun today besides Shane getting annihilated at his local Irish pub? :friday: Let's hear if there are any special traditions. Do they hold a St. Patrick's Day parade out here in SLC? If they do, there's not much publicity about it. In New Orleans, there is a very large Irish population that descended from immigrants of the 1800s. They resided in an area of the city that is still known as the Irish Channel. There is a big parade every year and it's almost like a Mardi Gras parade where the parade float riders and the marchers throw beads and trinkets, etc. In addition, they throw carrots, potatoes and cabbages (nothing like getting hit in the head with a flying cabbage when you're not looking!) :ne_nau: The whole reason behind the produce throwing is that you are supposed to collect enough of the different items in order to go home and be able to make an Irish stew for everyone. Lots of fun and economic too! :2thumbs:

ststephen
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I'll be heading up to another little town here in the Santa Cruz mountains to play drums for a bunch of local drunk crazies. The last time we played this bar a fight broke out and they called an ambulance for someone else who was having respiratory problems.

We're hoping for fewer fights and less ambulances this time!

Our singer says that Boulder Creek is like a twisted version of Mayberry.

ststephen
03-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Our gig went well and even had a bogley-esque aspect:

After we loaded up I'm hanging out back with a bandmate and he starts telling me about a backpacking trip he going to do down into Haleakala in Maui. So of course, I have to start pumping him for beta on the trail :haha: