PDA

View Full Version : Hike(s) worth moving to Utah for?

Bad Karma
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok I have this issue. My girlfriend will be coming to Utah, from DC, in mid to late May for two weeks and then a weekend around the 24th of July. While I may end up moving back East I would at least like to put the thought in her head that moving to Utah would be a cool prospect.

So considering she

Iceaxe
03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
These should all be really good in May, visiting ruins in Cedar Mesa might really hook her on Utah:

Angels Landing - Zion National Park

Calf Creek Falls - Escalante Grand Staircase

Citadel Ruins - Cedar Mesa

Corona Arch - Moab

Delicate Arch - Arches National Park

Devils Garden - Arches National Park

Fallen Roof Ruins - Cedar Mesa

Fiery Furnace - Arches National Park

Fishmouth Cave Ruins - Cedar Mesa

Funnel Arch - Moab

Horseshoe Canyon - Canyonlands

Little Wild Horse - San Rafael Swell

Moon House Ruins - Cedar Mesa

Mule Canyon Indian Ruins - Cedar Mesa

Procession Petroglyph Panel - Cedar Mesa

Sheets Gulch - Capitol Reef National Park

Sulphur Creek - Capitol Reef

Tower House Ruins - Cedar Mesa

For the 24th of July the Zion Narrows or Subway

Everything listed above can be found here in detail
http://climb-utah.com

Good Luck
:2thumbs:

http://climb-utah.com/CM/Files/monarch1.jpg

asdf
03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Is diving an issue?
How many days do you plan on going out in may?
Camping? if so... Hotels, Campground, primitive, or backpacking?

denaliguide
03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
day hikes or overnights?

anything in arches.

drive up the colorado river from moab to where the dewey bridge used to be. some great views. lot of movies were shot in castle valley/fisher towers area.

canyonlands. great views from island in the sky. needles district you can do day trips and overnights. the colors are fantastic.

cedar mesa. go look for ruins and rock art in the canyons around grand gulch.

those are the easy ones. easy car camping or you could do overnighters.

a road trip through from hanksville to torrey is very scenic.

it will be getting warmer in late may but just carry plenty of water when you are hiking and it shouldn't be to bad.

and everything iceaxe beat me too. :2thumbs:

Deathcricket
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Well the one that convinced us to move up here was Hidden Canyon. Maybe she'll feel the same magic we did gazing upon the wonders that are Zion. But I would second Angel's landing, Subway, or even Orderville. I would not recommend the narrows though. It's gorgeous and amazing, don't get me wrong. But the sheer number of people that will be walking that trail in July will suck. It kinda loses it's magic with all japanese photographers, crying babies, and rednecks spitting on the sidewalk.

Also get her involved in the process and I think she might be more into it. Just say something like "hey I want to have an adventure with you when you come out" and show her the spots you chose (Ice's site has awesome descriptions and pics) and let her decide between 3 or 4. That way she has more of a stake in it. The less she feels "dragged into it" the better a time you will have of convincing her.

Oh almost forgot... Kannara Creek is an awesome short hike too. That place is pretty magical as well. It's almost tropical.

DiscGo
03-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I agree with IceAxe's list, unless you are saying as a "flat lander" she wouldn't want to deal with the steep altitude rise in Angel's Landing. My out of town friends always struggle with that hike because of the elevation change (coming from sea level).

Devil's Garden and Delicate Arch are great recommendations!

asdf
03-16-2009, 04:02 PM
As great as Zion and Arches can be nothing screams "lets get the F#@& outta here" more then permits, packed parking lots, and people asking you "how much further is it" every 100' long the trail.

Deathcricket
03-16-2009, 04:50 PM
As great as Zion and Arches can be nothing screams "lets get the F#@& outta here" more then permits, packed parking lots, and people asking you "how much further is it" every 100' long the trail.

Dude you owe me a new keyboard. I just spit soda all over mine reading your comment. Cause it's true!!

:lol8:

DiscGo
03-16-2009, 05:02 PM

:roflol:

The last time I did Angel's Landing I had someone ask me that as we passed them after the 3rd switch back (not on Walter's Wiggles but at the very start of the hiking). They surprisingly did not make it to the top :)

Mtnman1830
03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I will give a multiple choice answer.

A. Utah isn't really all its cracked up to be. All the pictures you have seen have been photoshopped. Might as well not even bother with it.

B. All the trails are worth doing.

ststephen
03-16-2009, 08:54 PM
How about some spots along Hole-in-the-Rock road? Camp at Dance Hall and explore some easy spots like Devil's Garden or Peakaboo & Spooky.

If you are looking to mix luxury with hiking & camping there's a nice B&B in Escalante and the Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder.

Bad Karma
03-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Turns out it won't be a problem though as I got the boot (like a swift kick to the nuts). :eek2: :ne_nau:

But I do appreciate the help. You all rock! :rockon:

offpiste
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
After I read your last post good luck. Still, Calf Creek go hike it.

Cirrus2000
03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Turns out it won't be a problem though as I got the boot (like a swift kick to the nuts). :eek2: :ne_nau:

But I do appreciate the help. You all rock! :rockon:
Errr, that seems sudden. Didn't even get a chance to make any suggestions... (All the best ones were taken, anyway.) Best of luck in your future endeavors?

:popcorn:

ststephen
03-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Well now you have time to do field research to be ready to plan something spectacular for the next opportunity. :2thumbs:

DiscGo
03-18-2009, 06:13 AM

Sorry to hear that man. I was out geocaching last night with Udink and I was thinking about this post, and I was going to suggest that you find someone else before you leave Utah. So I am sorry for your current misery (because breaking up sucks) but I do kind of think it is great that you will now stay in Utah.

DiscGo
03-18-2009, 06:15 AM
I will give a multiple choice answer.

A. Utah isn't really all its cracked up to be. All the pictures you have seen have been photoshopped. Might as well not even bother with it.

B. All the trails are worth doing.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj294/DiscGo/ca7d8def.jpg

B! Unless this picture is the only picture of you have seen of Utah.... because then "A" because this picture is indeed very photoshopped.

Cirrus2000
03-18-2009, 09:19 AM
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj294/DiscGo/ca7d8def.jpg

GREAT photo, DiscGo! :hail2thechief:

Wasatch Rebel
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Well--sorry about the kick you received. But I'll suggest a hike that's a reason to live in Utah anyway--Naturalist Basin in the Uintas.