PDA

View Full Version : What does "beta" mean when used in hiking/outdoors

brookiekiller
03-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't mean to start a trolling thread - but I must be showing my age as I see the word "beta" showing up on outdoor sites used as (I assume) a synonym for "information". I have looked up the word on dictionary.com and other web sites and cannot for the life of me find out why it is being used. In Backpacker magazine I noticed this word for the first time - is it just the hip thing to use that word, or is there a new definition of it that I am not aware of? I just don't want to start using it and find out I don't know WTF that means.
:haha:

Deathcricket
03-16-2009, 10:28 AM
beta means "new but known to work decent". So trail beta is new information where alpha information would be a first descent. So it means that someone has been down the trail, logged info and passed it on to you in a credible state. It's been tested a couple times, but there could still be a couple "hitches" and should not be treated as "the bible". Which would be like a guidebook for instance. So it means that "we think this info is pretty good, but when you proceed, do so at your own risk, this is new information and we havent worked out all the bugs yet, just most of them". It also usually means that if you find the info to be wrong, they would appreciate you to contact them and let them know any corrections. More of an active feedback loop, you help them, they help you, where as a guidebook would carry the stigma "you published this and it's wrong, you jerk, check you facts".

Hopefully that makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Beta' is a nickname for software which has passed the alpha testing stage of development and has been released to users for software testing before its official release. Beta testing allows the software to undergo usability testing with users who provide feedback, so that any malfunctions these users find in the software can be reported to the developers and fixed. Beta software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss.

A 'beta version' is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety.

The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software. They receive the software for free or for a reduced price, but act as free testers.

Beta versions test the supportability of the product, the go-to-market messaging (while recruiting Beta customers), the manufacturability of the product, and the overall channel flow or channel reach.

Beta version software is likely to be useful for internal demonstrations and previews to select customers, but unstable and not yet ready for release. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, a prototype, a technical preview (TP) or as an early access. As the second major stage in the release lifecycle, following the alpha stage, it is named after the Greek letter beta, the second letter in the Greek alphabet.

Often this stage begins when the developers announce a feature freeze on the product, indicating that no more feature requirements will be accepted for this version of the product. Only software issues, or bugs and unimplemented features will be addressed.

Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a select group of individuals for a user test, while open betas are to a larger community group, usually the general public. The testers report any bugs that they found and sometimes minor features they would like to see in the final version.

Iceaxe
03-16-2009, 10:36 AM
From the Bogley Canyoneering Glossary
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2443

Beta - Insider information or advice about a route given by one (or quite often 6) self-proclaimed experts. From Betamax, and an article in Rock and Ice Magazine by Neil Cannon, circa 1987. That of which Climb-Utah.com is king.

:cool2:

brookiekiller
03-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks - it makes perfect sense to me now - and helps me when undertaking some hikes with info used from the web.

Deathcricket
03-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Betamax? Gonna have to google that one. Learn something new everyday here.

ststephen
03-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes I had to go dig this up too.

Quoted from wikipedia:

The original use of the term Beta in climbing is generally attributed to the late climber, Jack Mileski. "Beta" was short for Betamax, a reference to an old videotape format largely replaced by the VHS format. This was actually a play on words, as Jack would often ask, "you want the beta, Max?"

Iceaxe
03-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Some more from Tradgirl
http://www.tradgirl.com/climbing_faq/other.htm

Interesting reading....

If Brian in SLC see's this he will probably have the 411... he is a walking encyclopedia of useless climbing information...

:cool2:

denaliguide
03-16-2009, 03:21 PM
you should also be familiar with the term "sandbag". defined as the intentional giving of misleading or even just plain wrong beta.

most often offered at the bottom of a crag when a climber comes up and says "what kind of gear do i need to protedct this route?". and you reply "oh you won't need anything smaller than a # 2 cam. when actually you don't need anything larger than a # 2 cam. then everyone stands around to watch the show. :haha:

Deathcricket
03-16-2009, 03:24 PM
*Shocked*

Iceaxe
03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Sandbagging is also pretty common in canyoneering.... at least among some of the chest thumpers.

ratagonia
03-16-2009, 06:11 PM
you should also be familiar with the term "sandbag". defined as the intentional giving of misleading or even just plain wrong beta.

most often offered at the bottom of a crag when a climber comes up and says "what kind of gear do i need to protedct this route?". and you reply "oh you won't need anything smaller than a # 2 cam. when actually you don't need anything larger than a # 2 cam. then everyone stands around to watch the show. :haha:

Uh, not really.

While there is 'black humor' in climbing, sandbagging usually involves understating the difficulty, not deliberately leading another into danger. Sandbagging is usually reserved for well-protected climbs - the objective is to humiliate a melon-headed climber, not kill him (or her). Or for climbs that are really hard off-the-ground, where the melonhead can be humiliated right away, preferably with a good audience.

See City of Rock - "Bloody Fingers"

Tom :moses: