PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Caving Association Regional

teancum
03-15-2009, 01:29 PM
http://www.caves.org/grotto/wvg/regional/

Over Memorial Day weekend there is going to be a caving convention just outside of Portland OR (trout lake, WA). I expect some great caving going on there.

Right now southwest is selling round trip tickets to Portland for $152 and some people in the local grotto will be able to pick you up from the airport and take you to the camping site; so you wont even need to rent a car. If you are interested I would suggest getting the tickets now.

Tony

teancum
03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Here is a copy of the last email I got from the event planner of the regional (Claude Koch).

We had our grotto meeting tonight, and talked about taking folks that would be flying into Portland for the regional. Various members of the grotto are open to that situation. I personally will probably not be able to accommodate, as I will probably be tying up loose ends a few days early in Trout Lake preparing for this great event.

I've attended a few regionals lately, and they have been good times.
The only down side to some of the regionals that I've attended was they were a little short on caving for a number of various reasons (an hour or 2 from camp, high clearance vehicles needed, too many daytime workshops-not enough caver interest in going to caves-which equaled me solo caving, not enough trips scheduled-which equaled trips that were too large, long walks to caves, etc.

This regional will feature lots of different caves trips offered, plus they will all be accessible with low clearance vehicles that are also close to the campground, with no long or steep hikes.

Thanks for your interest in checking out the caves of southern Washington. Keep in touch, if you do decide to register, so that arrangements can be made to pick you up at the airport with one of our members.

jumar
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I went to the one in WY last year and had a good time. :five: