PDA

View Full Version : Metolius BRD Belay/Rappel Device

ratagonia
03-13-2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/brd_belay_rappel_device.html

Anyone using this? Like it? Don't like it?

Thanks.

Tom :moses:

ratagonia
01-21-2011, 10:30 PM
http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/brd_belay_rappel_device.html

Anyone using this? Like it? Don't like it?

Thanks.

Tom :moses:

I guess that would be a no??? T

Bo_Beck
01-22-2011, 06:53 AM
I guess that would be a no??? T
I've talked with quite a few climbers that have used it as a belay device, and it seems that the general concensus was a "positive". I know that doesn't say much? Maybe I'll have to pull one off the shelf and give it a go. Maybe I'll just go ahead and grab it and use it at training in Zion this tuesday. Maybe I can give you a little feedback next week?

ratagonia
01-22-2011, 08:30 AM
I've talked with quite a few climbers that have used it as a belay device, and it seems that the general concensus was a "positive". I know that doesn't say much? Maybe I'll have to pull one off the shelf and give it a go. Maybe I'll just go ahead and grab it and use it at training in Zion this tuesday. Maybe I can give you a little feedback next week?

This year's post was mostly a joke. My real question was how many people are using it, is it something I should carry in the store? I think I got my answer, which was "no". But thanks Bo.

Tom

hank moon
10-22-2013, 05:37 PM
I bought one and used it in a couple canyons.

Initial report: LOADS of friction - significantly more than any other tuber/plate device I have used. Tried with well-used Canyon Fire (stiff) and PMI EZ-Bend (supple). As expected, less friction with supple rope

Might be a good option for a heavier person (> 200 lbs w/o gear). I weigh ~165 w/o gear. Any linebackers out there tried it?

USofCS
10-23-2013, 09:46 PM
We bought several this September for our school and hate them all! They don't slide well at all for rappelling. Love their carabiners, but not their belay devices.