PDA

View Full Version : From Moab to Page and beyond

Hatchcanyon
03-11-2009, 01:36 PM
For sure this is not exactly the place to post this story, but I can`t find a better place at Bogley

Reedus
03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Wow! Best sequence of pictures I have seen in a long time. Love to see places from the perspective of a couple of thousand feet in the air. Thanks man!

moab mark
03-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Those rocked. Thanks for sharing.
:2thumbs: Mark

Cirrus2000
03-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Beautiful! That is a total dream to me. When I got my pilot's license current, after being lapsed for a number of years, I went out and bought all the charts to fly from home to Canyonlands field. Sadly, flying kept getting more expensive, and I just can't afford to keep current - never made the trip. Still, I'd love to overfly the area, one of these days...

Those photos are great incentive to do so, one day!

JP
03-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Love those shots :2thumbs:

Really liking this one :2thumbs:

http://hatchcanyon.eu/Inhalt/Cross_Country_Flights/Eagle/Flight-2006-005.jpg

Cirrus2000
03-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Love those shots :2thumbs:

Really liking this one :2thumbs:

http://hatchcanyon.eu/Inhalt/Cross_Country_Flights/Eagle/Flight-2006-005.jpg
Seems to me I remember a geocache right there! :2thumbs:

denaliguide
03-11-2009, 11:37 PM
thats a great flight. awesome shots. i have done a flight similiar but started in kingman, az. it was when i was working on my long solo x-c flight for my commercial license. flew to green river that on day 1, overnighted then to canyonlands airport for fuel and back to kingman on day 2. you obviously had better weather. the days i did it it was pretty hazy.

Hatchcanyon
03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Thank you folks for the terribly nice comments!

A big part of the credit is due to Tim Martin!

No doubt, the flight was awesome. He

Sombeech
03-12-2009, 02:21 PM
very cool shots! :2thumbs:

ststephen
03-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Bravo on a fine collection of photos! :2thumbs:

My first visit to the Needles was with friends that flew me to the Outpost runway from LA. Sure brings back some great memories seeing your shots. We too flew low and slow. At one point a little too low to some boaters in Lake Powell. What can I say, my friend was a bit of a rebel :ne_nau:

Back then the runway was dirt. It made for a very interesting take off that we had to abort a few times because the fine red powder caused too much drag right at the point when the nose would lift up. The wind picked up a bit and then we made it up.

Did you loop around the confluence? It seems you are always shooting from the right side and I don't see any pictures of the Maze. I remember being very impressed with the view of the Chocolate Drops from the air.

The other impressive feature I remember that you didn't post was the Grabens in the Needles. The geology really comes to life at altitude, doesn't it? Great shot of yours, for example, of the Waterpocket.

A couple of months ago I was flying commercially cross-country, PHL to SFO. Normally, the route would be quite to the north of this area, but a big storm caused the pilot to re-route more to the south.

I was lazily staring out the window when some canyons caught my eye. I'm trying to puzzle out what I'm looking at when a second river comes in to view and I suddenly realize we're directly over Island in the Sky! The people sitting next to me thought I was nuts as I was getting so excited and calling out (to no one) the features I could recognize. OK, so maybe I am a bit nuts, but it *was* very cool to see... :ne_nau:

Hatchcanyon
03-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Most shots are goint to the right due to the fact that I was placed in the Copilots seat. For more pictures click at "The whole Story" below the last picture. (Soyrry, story is in German!)

We looped around Rainbow Bridge but we didn

Jaxx
03-13-2009, 09:17 AM
beautiful shots. Thanks for posting them. I keep coming in to get another look. Such a cool view that you don't normally get to see.

psl53
03-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Hatch,
Every post you've made has been outstanding. It's a pleasure to have you posting on the board. Please keep it up. Have you lived in the SW at any point in your life? Your love for the southwest and Utah is amazing, I love it!!!!!!!
Peter

Hatchcanyon
03-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Hatch,
Every post you've made has been outstanding. It's a pleasure to have you posting on the board. Please keep it up. Have you lived in the SW at any point in your life? Your love for the southwest and Utah is amazing, I love it!!!!!!!
Peter

Thanks, Peter!

Living in the southwest? Yes and no! We were at no time permanent residents but spent a lot of time there. Everything started 28 years ago as a side effect of my career as an electronics engineer. Nowadays we are travelling for pleasure only. And yes, we love the country with all our hearts.

Rolf

Rob L
03-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Great photos...what an opportunity! Thanks, Rolf.

I have done a lot of flying in the States, and done many hiking trips to the southwest...but I've never flown over the southwest.

Note to self: hire a plane next trip!