Associated Press
Published: Sunday, March 1, 2009 11:51 p.m. MST

LOS ANGELES

rockgremlin
03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
damn! that's a helluva goal!

LOAH
03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
That kid probably gets his ass kicked all the time.

:haha:

DiscGo
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
That kid probably gets his ass kicked all the time.

Jaxx
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
This song will get stuck in your head. don't say I didn't warn you.

http://www.nocussing.com./images/NCC_Music_Video.wmv

accadacca
03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
F*ck that sh*t! :lol8:

Don
03-03-2009, 11:45 AM

Yeah, getthef-ckouttahere! :frustrated:

:roflol:

Scott Card
03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Good for this kid :2thumbs:

JP
03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.newenglandturbodieselpower.com/Forums/images/smilies/wtf2.gif :mrgreen:

DiscGo
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Yeah, getthef-ckouttahere! :frustrated:

You guys are idiots :roflol:

Sombeech
03-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Setting his hopes a little high.

Seriously, start with a cuss free hour or something. If you get 30% participation, stop on a high note.

DiscGo
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Setting his hopes a little high.

Seriously, start with a cuss free hour or something. If you get 30% participation, stop on a high note.

Good call.

I think his club may actually ironically cause more cussing than it prevents. I posted this article on my family website and it led to the first example of foul language I have seen on my family site.

It really is true that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

KapitanSparrow
03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Good for the kid. I am doing my own part by trying not to use foul language. I usually say a bad word once or twice a day. Having dirty thoughts is another thing :naughty:

denaliguide
03-03-2009, 12:54 PM
this would leave a lot of people with absolutely nothing to say.

live2ride
03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Start with a week of using LDS similar swar words...FREAK!!! SHIZ!!! DAAAANG!! GOSH!!!

stefan
03-03-2009, 01:05 PM
LDS teen asks LA County for cuss-free week

hey if he wants cuss free, i certainly would expect him to refrain from using euphemisms as well. it's all the same.

live2ride
03-03-2009, 01:09 PM

hey if he wants cuss free, i certainly would expect him to refrain from using euphemisms as well. it's all the same.You've got a great freakin point there...For heck sakes..

asdf
03-03-2009, 01:15 PM

hey if he wants cuss free, i certainly would expect him to refrain from using euphemisms as well. it's all the same.You've got a great freakin point there...For heck sakes..

freak yeah, shizzzz...

stefan
03-03-2009, 01:24 PM
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

DiscGo
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM

x2 :)

Scott Card
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
The English language has taken a beating over the past several decades and it appears to continue its downward slide with email and text messages. There was a time where creativity ruled the day. I am sure many have seen this list before. It was sent to me under the title of "When Insults Had Class". Here are a few from the list.

"I have never killed a man, but i have read many obituaries with great pleasure" --Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary" -- William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"--Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know" -- Abraham Lincoln

"I have had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -- Groucho Marx

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." -- Mark Twain

"He had the delusion of adequacy." -- Walter Kerr

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; other, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

I have a few more. And not a single bit of cussing!!

stefan
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM

x2 :)

but seriously, i think euphemisms aren't any better than the real words themselves.

Sombeech
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
but seriously, i think euphemisms aren't any better than the real words themselves.

One could make the argument that the certain words would offend people more than the others.

They may be spoken out of the same amount of anger, frustration, or even humor. But I guess it all comes down to the amount of offense you're giving your fellow bystander.

Gee Willackers can be spoken with the same amount of surprise as Holy Sh*t, but there's a nice way of putting it.

For the record, I think Shizz is the most stupid word out there.

DiscGo
03-03-2009, 02:17 PM

I can totally see what you are saying and for the most part you are right. I think some euphemisms are solid enough words on their own that I don't associate them. For example saying "shoot" by no means bring "Sh#@" to my mind. So I consider "shoot" a perfectly acceptable word for voicing frustration (but only if you are really mad :) ). Other euphemisms are arguably worse or at least as bad as the real profanity because it brings the word to your mind, and then you think about what they just said causing your mind to be occupied for a greater period of time with filth.

fouristhenewone
03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
in my opinion people who are offended by language clearly have nothing better to do than spend there time finding ways to be offended. As far as it goes, I find it ridiculous that a fair share of people who claim to be offended by "swearing" find it fine to use not only euphemisms for those words, as well as other terms that many find offensive. I don't know how many times I've heard someone who'd freak out if I dropped the F bomb refer to something/someone as gay - in a derogatory manner. If you are going to be the language police, first police yourself.

asdf
03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
causing your mind to be occupied for a greater period of time with filth.

If there was no filth everything would be squeaky clean and bland. I myself enjoy a bit of filth just to add perspective, depth and, variety to my life. :haha:

DiscGo
03-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Here is kind of a side tangent:

My mother is a squeaky clean, saintly woman. She really is one of the greatest people to have ever walked the earth and she is (surprise surprise) a good mormon woman.

Well there was a while there where if something bad happened, my Mom would say "oh, bad words". So instead of saying any foul words, she would actually use the phrase "bad words".

She was driving to Salt Lake one morning and a semi-truck came right into her lane and she was forced off the road. My mom really believed that she was going to die and as she was going off the road to avoid the truck that had just ran her off the road the thought came to her mind "Oh, SH@#". Then as she starts freaking out about how the last words to come to her mind before she dies are profanities. Anyway, you probably have to hear her tell it (she is fine obviously) but you never know what is going to happen in stressful situations.

Deathcricket
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I used to cuss quite a bit until my son (who is 2) started cussing. Now I try my best not to, but still slip up pretty often. The funniest though was my wife's slip up. We have a new puppy who pee'd on the floor a couple weeks back. My wife yelled "god dammit Bella, outside!" and then of course mopped the floor to clean it up. Now anytime she is mopping the tile in the kitchen, our son says "God dammit Bella??" in a questioning tone.

denaliguide
03-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I used to cuss quite a bit until my son (who is 2) started cussing. :roflol:

i just tell the wife "as long as he uses it properly in a sentence". :haha:

Deathcricket
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Haa! Somehow, I just don't think that would fly.

fouristhenewone
03-03-2009, 03:13 PM
I realize that children often simply imitate their parents, and especially children of that age, but I find it hard to believe that at a relatively young age most people couldn't simply have a intelligent conversation with their children, educate them about swearing, when and when it's absolutely not appropriate, what your family's personal beliefs are, and give them some credit that they are smart enough to figure it out.

I guess maybe I'm a dreamer, but I feel the same way about most things, sex, drugs, alcohol.

I find it hard to believe that "protecting" your children from those things is a better solution.

Don
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I used to cuss quite a bit until my son (who is 2) started cussing. :roflol:

i just tell the wife "as long as he uses it properly in a sentence". :haha:

I remember the first time my boy cursed. He was 4, maybe almost 5 years old. He was at the top of the stairs, coming up with a big arm load of toy cars when one slipped loose and bounced all the way to the bottom. He turned, leaned to look down over the big arm load he was still holding and said Oh, damn it. I laughed so hard. His mom was pissed but even she could appreciate that he used the word properly.

Deathcricket
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I realize that children often simply imitate their parents, and especially children of that age, but I find it hard to believe that at a relatively young age most people couldn't simply have a intelligent conversation with their children, educate them about swearing, when and when it's absolutely not appropriate, what your family's personal beliefs are, and give them some credit that they are smart enough to figure it out.

I guess maybe I'm a dreamer, but I feel the same way about most things, sex, drugs, alcohol.

I find it hard to believe that "protecting" your children from those things is a better solution.

Maybe when he gets a little older. But I believe in leading by example first. If you're a hypocrite, you children will easily see through that. Like when you cuss but ask them not to. For example, my father smoked pretty much my whole life until I was about 16. So when he would tell me it was bad to smoke, I remember thinking how when I got old enough I probably would too. He would sit around the campfire and smoke with his friends having a good time, and I recall distinctly being 10 and thinking he was "cool". But then when he tried to actually quit, I saw how hard it was for him. Took him 3 or 4 years to kick the habit. So seeing that really woke me up and I have never smoked a single cig in my life. So I'm not a fan of asking your kids to "not do" something you "do do". Granted I do drink alcohol pretty frequently around him (never been drunk), but when he turns 21 I'll take him to the bar myself and buy him his first drink. If he wants.

:2thumbs:

fouristhenewone
03-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I suppose I may have not been quite clear on what I meant by my last comment...I'm not talking about asking your kids to not do something that you do..I don't think that you should expect your kids to do that. None of the things I listed - swearing, sex, drugs, alcohol, ROCK N ROLL!, are things that I think are inherently bad, or things that I would tell my kids not to do. But I do think that all of those things require parents to have intelligent discussions about the positives and negatives, risks and rewards, etc, in order for their kids to make smart decisions.

For instance - I was raised in a very religious house, but as far as language, my parents weren't necessarily "don't swear" people, but they taught me when I was young that intelligent people didn't need to swear to get their ideas across, and then when people swore all the time, it made them seem like they weren't intelligent enough to get their ideas across otherwise. However, they also taught me that there was a time and place for that language, and it wasn't inherently bad. I think there's a lot of ways to use that same type of logic with your kids. I know there's areas where I'm sure I could have spared myself some trouble if my parents had done that in other areas.

DiscGo
03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
What both of you are saying makes a lot of sense, and just to clarify I didn't interpret your comment as advocating hypocrisy at all fouristhenewone.

Deathcricket
03-04-2009, 07:32 AM
For instance - I was raised in a very religious house, but as far as language, my parents weren't necessarily "don't swear" people, but they taught me when I was young that intelligent people didn't need to swear to get their ideas across, and then when people swore all the time, it made them seem like they weren't intelligent enough to get their ideas across otherwise. However, they also taught me that there was a time and place for that language, and it wasn't inherently bad. I think there's a lot of ways to use that same type of logic with your kids. I know there's areas where I'm sure I could have spared myself some trouble if my parents had done that in other areas.

Ahh that I can totally agree with. My parents seemed to adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy on the subjects you mentioned. "These are our rules and you will abide by them with no compromise." For example: I recall being over 21 (still living at home) and getting pretty intoxicated one night. I wanted so bad to call my parents to come pick me up, but instead I drove home because we didn't have an open line of communication and I greatly feared their wrath. Nothing happened of course, but I would cringe if my son was in the same situation and feared to call me, like I feared my parents. So I agree that you have to teach them what's right but you also have to let them make their own decisions, including what words they choose to incorporate into their vocabulary.

:2thumbs:

I thought you were saying I should tell my 2 year old that daddy is allowed to say "certain words" but he isn't. I misunderstood ya, sorry.

DiscGo
03-04-2009, 07:46 AM
My brother said that he is "going to start an all cussing club, where the only words spoken are curse words to counter act this persons good deeds." and then he thanked me for the good idea :)

KapitanSparrow
03-04-2009, 08:06 AM
I typically curse in my native tongue so I cannot be blamed for having a negative effect on the younger generations.

Kurwa! I gotta get back to work :frustrated:

denaliguide
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I thought you were saying I should tell my 2 year old that daddy is allowed to say "certain words" but he isn't. I misunderstood ya, sorry.

i have no problem telling my kids that there are two sets of rules. there are definitely things you can do as an adult and not as a child. kids need to realize that early on. also theres a third set of rules. the "house rules". it's all about boundaries. not only can my child not use certain words that i can, he can't watch certain shows on tv, movies that i watch, drink alchohol, etc.. hypocritical? so what. thats what life is sometimes. life is not fair. when they start on that i tell them, get a job move out, and then you can do what you want.

for the record i have 3 boys. 26, 23, 7.

DiscGo
03-04-2009, 01:55 PM

i have no problem telling my kids that there are two sets of rules. there are definitely things you can do as an adult and not as a child.[/quote]

When I was a kid I dreamed of being an adult and how cool it would be, and I am happy to report that it is exactly as awesome as I expected.

Deathcricket
03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
i have no problem telling my kids that there are two sets of rules. there are definitely things you can do as an adult and not as a child. kids need to realize that early on. also theres a third set of rules. the "house rules". it's all about boundaries. not only can my child not use certain words that i can, he can't watch certain shows on tv, movies that i watch, drink alchohol, etc.. hypocritical? so what. thats what life is sometimes. life is not fair. when they start on that i tell them, get a job move out, and then you can do what you want.

for the record i have 3 boys. 26, 23, 7.

Ya that's pretty much the same way my parents raised me. By laying down "house rules" in black and white, I think it hindered our relationship. Especially stuff like "no sex before marriage", "no drinking while you live in our house", etc. I just ended up making my own decisions on these subjects and then lied straight to their face about my actions. Like when they found condoms once in my pocket, for instance. I'm going to try raising my child a bit differently I think. Who knows though, when he turns into a rebelious teenager, I might have to lay down the law like you did. For now, I must bow to your superior level of experience.
:nod:

Thomas
03-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't swear very much only in stressful, or painful situations. My wife