PDA

View Full Version : Queation on Tuckup Trail

nat
03-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I noticed on a recent thread that a couple of people had recommended the Tuckup Trail (Grand Canyon). I was thinking of hiking this in a couple of weeks from now. My plan would be to hike from Toroweep along the Tuckup Trail to Tuckup Canyon, down Tuckup Canyon to the river, then along the river to Lava Falls and back up to the rim, taking about 7 or 8 days. Does anyone have any recommendations/comments about the route? In particular, I am wondering about the water situation along the Tuckup Trail. It looks like the first reliable water might be Willow Spring. Is there any water before this? It looks like it would take a good two days to get to Willow Spring. Maybe more? The only part of this hike that I've done is Tuckup Canyon itself. Any information is appreciated.

Nat

Scott P
03-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Once over Thanksgiving we did a somewhat similar loop from Toroweap but went down Stairway Canyon instead of down Tuckup. On our visit there was water at the Redwall lip in Stairway which would be only a short side trip from the Tuckup Trail and also pothole water on the Tuckup just south of Big Point. In the cooler part of the year I imagine the water in upper Stairway should be there, but if it's been a long time since it has rained the potholes mentioned would probably be empty. We actually carried water for our first night since we didn't expect to find the pothole water.

Also, it would be easier and shorter to ascend Cove Canyon than Lava Falls, but we too chose to ascend via Lava Falls in order to see the rapid. Even in late November it was hot ascending that route with a pack.

nat
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Once over Thanksgiving we did a somewhat similar loop from Toroweap but went down Stairway Canyon instead of down Tuckup. On our visit there was water at the Redwall lip in Stairway which would be only a short side trip from the Tuckup Trail and also pothole water on the Tuckup just south of Big Point. In the cooler part of the year I imagine the water in upper Stairway should be there, but if it's been a long time since it has rained the potholes mentioned would probably be empty. We actually carried water for our first night since we didn't expect to find the pothole water.

Also, it would be easier and shorter to ascend Cove Canyon than Lava Falls, but we too chose to ascend via Lava Falls in order to see the rapid. Even in late November it was hot ascending that route with a pack.

Thanks Scott, for the info. I'm guessing that there won't be any pothole water on the Esplanade, unless it rains in the next couple of weeks. I'll probably start with 2 days of water. How long did it take you to get to Stairway? Did you go down the west arm?

Nat

Scott P
03-02-2009, 01:39 PM
How long did it take you to get to Stairway?

1.5 days, but days are short in late November and we weren't in a huge hurry. You could probably do it in a day if you wanted to.

Did you go down the west arm?

We went down the northern most west arm instead of the larger west arm.