PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report It's warm in southern Utah

MtnBkr
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
The Anasazi trail (aka TEMPI'PO'OP "Rock Writing") accommodates bicycles, hikers, and horses. Mostly singletrack, the trail surface is compacted dirt with crushed rock and in some places crosses slickrock. There are a few rock steps but in general this is not a very technical trail, beginner/intermediates will enjoy riding here. I rode this trail a day after a heavy rain, and it was completely drained and solid on the surface. I parked at the southern end which offers a more complete biking experience, but there is a newly constructed highway of a trail made of road base that starts at the northern end parking and switchbacks up to the main petroglyph site. The grade is gentle and the trail is smooth and wide, just perfect for younger/newer riders to get a taste of mountain biking in the desert. And with the petroglyphs at the top of this small climb as an interesting goal to explore, what could be better for a first ride!? Start at the northern end and ride an out and back to the petroglyphs and your kids will be hooked.

live2ride
02-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Very cool, I like the art work there! I wish I could be down there riding todady, gonna take the road bike out and get ready for the warmth!

greyhair biker
02-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Very Cool - (jealous) Exactly where is this?

MtnBkr
02-28-2009, 02:23 PM
You may have missed the Google Earth File just below the Anatomically Correct Being. What were you looking at? :naughty:

The ride is west of Saint George, Utah, very close to Ivins and Santa Clara. Here is a screenshot from the kmz Google Earth file:

Kent K25
02-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm not a huge fan of this ride, if it weren't for the petroglyphs I'd never ride it, even though I can see the trail from my front door. (I'm in Ivins)

Sombeech
02-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Excellent pics, thanks Ponce.

I always lose my sense of direction down there, but where is this from the Bear Claw Poppy trail?

Also, how long of a ride is it? I'd like to do it, just to do it even though it looks easy.

theking648
02-28-2009, 08:37 PM
ya that trail isn't much for looks.. if you want a workout then thats your trail.

Excellent pics, thanks Ponce.

I always lose my sense of direction down there, but where is this from the Bear Claw Poppy trail?

Also, how long of a ride is it? I'd like to do it, just to do it even though it looks easy.

in stead of going down dixie drive to bearclaw poppy. you go down sunset.

so in that picture bearclaw is south about 8 miles.

MtnBkr
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
The Anasazi ride that I did that is mapped in the Google Earth file, was just on 10 miles with 1,000 feet of climbing. The trailhead is close to 8 miles northwest of the BearClaw Poppy trailhead which I remember being next to the Green Valley race course where the Desert Rampage is held. I've ridden from Green Valley northwest to just about the Anasazi Trailhead through the desert which isn't bad but is mostly doubletrack.

Park at Green Valley, ride 8 miles NW to Anasazi, 10 miles on Anasazi, and the 8 miles back to Green Valley for a funfilled 26 miles!

And throw in Barrel Roll (excellent singletrack to my way of thinking) for another 6 mile loop which is just south across the Santa Clara River from Anasazi.

I have to do these trails one at a time but they're all right there.

neilether
03-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Very nice Gene! I too am jealous. It's not so warm in Logan right now......

Sombeech
03-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks Ponce, I'm going to try and ride this trail this Saturday while I'm down there.