PDA

View Full Version : Dual Sport Motorcycle - in the market

nelsonccc
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
So, I'm looking to buy a dualsport in the next couple of weeks. I've got it narrowed down to either the Honda XR650L, Kawasaki 650KLR, or the Yamaha WR250R. I'm looking to spend about 2k-4k and I'm not too particular for the year as long as it's not more than 7 years old. I'm going to use it for commuting here in Vegas and alot of offroading in the national parks. I figure about 50% dirt and 50% road.

Any recommendations? Advice? Experience with a particular brand? things to look out for? Good model years? Etc.....

denaliguide
02-25-2009, 05:47 PM
i love my klr 650. bought it new in october 03. 30,000 k's. runs like atop. parts are easy to get since the model hasn't changed in 20 years. the new 08' is a different bike, however. huge 6.1 gallon gas tank is what sold me on it. it's not for the vertically challenged. if your inseam is less than 30" you will be on your tiptoes at the stoplights unless you add the lowering links or a different saddle. i put a corbin dished seat on mine and that lowered it by about 1.5 in.. runs 75 on the highway too. i have had mine up to 100mph but that was way too scary. handles the twisties nicely, but its a bit heavy for real single track. obviously depending on the rider. weighs 358 dry. i think it would be a good bike for vegas and surrounding area.

if you want more pm me.

IMHO the 250 would be a little under powered on the open road with a load on. theres also a klr 400 that i thought might be nice. ktm makes some nice dual sports too.

Reedus
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Here is the skivy on the two bikes you are looking at. The KLR is more of the highway bike for dual sport, while the XR650l is more of the dirt side. I have owned both and it really depends on what type of riding you will do more. The XR650l that I currently own is tapped out at about 70 mph. Air cooled motor would not be good on the longer rides. The KLR is a heavy pig, but a lot more stable on the freeway than the XR. Personal opinion is that they are both great bikes in their own element. As for the Yamaha, don't plan on taking it down I-15. I can get you any of these bikes for quite a bit less than any private sale you might find. PM me for details.

nelsonccc
02-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Here is the skivy on the two bikes you are looking at. The KLR is more of the highway bike for dual sport, while the XR650l is more of the dirt side. I have owned both and it really depends on what type of riding you will do more. The XR650l that I currently own is tapped out at about 70 mph. Air cooled motor would not be good on the longer rides. The KLR is a heavy pig, but a lot more stable on the freeway than the XR. Personal opinion is that they are both great bikes in their own element. As for the Yamaha, don't plan on taking it down I-15. I can get you any of these bikes for quite a bit less than any private sale you might find. PM me for details.

I originally wasn't looking at the KLR since it's such a street oriented bike but everybody I asked recommended the KLR.

Here's the skinny. I have a 35 mile commute each day with just a portion of it on the freeway (but with traffic it

Reedus
02-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Sounds like the XR is right up your alley. Here are some pictures of of a few bikes you might be interested in:

One other option you might not have considered is to dual sport a bike like the WR450 or CRF450x. You can gear them down to do reasonable highway speeds and they are insane in the dirt. A dual sport kit would run you anywhere from 200 bucks for a basic barely legal kit to baja designs full package deal that is around 500 bucks. The only problem with going that route is that once you got on one of these big bore thumpers and didn't have to mix gas, the YZ250 would be up for sale. :mrgreen:

nelsonccc
03-08-2009, 05:30 PM
So I found two great deals here in Vegas. A '01 Suzuki DR650SE for $2700 with 9,000 miles and lots of gear and extras or a '00 Kawasaki KLR650 for $2400 with 4,000 miles and a few extras.

Both look pretty good though I haven't seen either one in person, but lots of pics. I'm leaning towards the DR since I think it's a more dirt oriented bike but I think the price is a bit high. He was originally at $3k but has come down to $2700. I might be able to get him to take a bit less in person with cash. The Suzuki is the cleaner looking bike, looks well maintained and was ridden every day to work by the owner.

I've heard such good things about the KLR that I'm beginning to second guess what I should get. PLus I'm pretty sure that I can talk the guy down from $2400 to maybe $2100 or less. The KLR looks a little less clean, like it's been stored for awhile, but the owner says it'll start right up and that he went out every month or so on it.

I also wonder just how much dirt I'll really end up doing????? I'm mainly getting it to commute but I believe it'll get used for a few trips to National parks, etc.. and who knows maybe a lot fo dirt.

What do you guys think?

denaliguide
03-08-2009, 06:38 PM
when i compare the two bikes i see that the klr has a fuel tank that is almost double the size of the dr. dry weight is close enough to not be an issue. seat height is also about the same. these bikes are not for short people.

i don't think either bike is really a single track dirt bike. but on forest service and 4wd roads you will do alright.

i have said before i have had a klr for nearly 5 years and have over 30,000 k's on it. so i am a little biased. it has been a very reliable bike. alsko parts for the klr are easy to get since the model didn't change from 1987 to 2007 20.

first time i saw a klr was when i was 4wd out on the lathrop trail near moab. a guy had one and it looked like he was having a blast with it. kind of sold me right there.

living in the desert i think the added fuel capacity is a huge bonus.

whatever you pick, have fun with it.

here's another comparison. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/164/1442/Motorcycle-Article/2008-Kawasaki-KLR650-Comparison.aspx

dr 650 specs new
Brakes Front Disc brake
Brakes Rear Disc brake
Color Black, White
Curb Weight 166 kg (366 lbs)
Final Drive D.I.D 525 V9, 110 links
Fuel Tank Capacity 13.0 L (3.4/2.9 US/Imp gal) - Including Reserve
Ground Clearance 265 mm (10.4 in), Low seat 225 mm (8.9 in.)
Overall Length 2255 mm (88.8 in), Low seat 2235 mm (88.0 in)
Overall Width 865 mm (34.1 in)
Seat Height 885 mm (34.8 in), Low seat 845 mm (33.0 in.)
Suspension Front Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped

KLR 650
Specifications for 1987-2007 U.S. Model Engine Type Single Cylinder, Water Cooled, Four-Stroke, DOHC, 4 valves
Carburetion Keihin CVK-40 constant velocity carburetor
Displacement 651 cc
Bore

Reedus
03-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Sorry, can't give you the nod for the Suzook. Every Suzook that I have owned have had engine problems. I haven't had any experience with the DR650, but once bitten twice shy. I didn't know you were entertaining bikes that old or I would have offered up my personal 2000 XR650l. The bike is super clean, especially for being 9 years old. It has 10,500 miles on it. 3/4 of them highway. I will even throw in a big azz des tank to go with it. 2,500 and she is all yours.

P.S - the auction bikes went high. That 08 went for 4,500 and the KLR's went for 3,900 and 3,800. WTF??? Recession? Not for some people

nelsonccc
03-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Well I did it. Pulled the trigger on a Suzuki DR650 last night. It's an '01 with 4,000 miles on it. Perfectly maintained and in showroom condition. The guy had receipts for all the maintenace and a maintenance log and all the paperwork in a folder. Very well organized.

I got it for $2250 with a huge bag of motocross gear (2 helmets, 2 pairs of boots, 4 goggles, 2 chest protectors, 2 pants, 2 shirts, and like 5 pairs of gloves). I feel like I made out like a saint.

I'll post some pics in the next day or so. took out for a little spin last night, boy does it have giddy up. not like my 2 stroke, but the gears are real long and the bike pulls strong through the entire gear.

Super exicted!

Reedus
03-13-2009, 07:56 AM
So when the hell are ya coming up to go ridin? Looking real good next weekend...

denaliguide
03-14-2009, 12:41 AM
sounds like a deal. now get out there and go riding. :2thumbs:

nelsonccc
03-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I finally got around to taking some pics. Here you go. I included one of the garage to show why my wife is angry about getting booted out of the garage.

denaliguide
03-22-2009, 01:44 PM
my wife is angry about getting booted out of the garage.

excuse me, what she was doing there in the first place. that's man country. :roflol:

accadacca
03-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Congrats. :cheers:

crankshank
05-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Now you can start converting it to a Motard.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MrVvrroomm/Supermoto/100_0387.jpg

Jaxx
05-08-2009, 08:09 AM
My dad has the same bike. He loves it, except for freeway travel. :haha: