PDA

View Full Version : Canyons to cut teeth??

Shandog
02-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Good Day All!
Myself and a friend are heading from British Columbia to Utah in March to do some Canyoneering for the first time. so my question is, what grade canyon would be Ideal for a couple of green Canyoneers? I'm not at all familiar with the canyon rating system

I am a Climber, Proficient in making Natural anchors, Rappelling, and all the rope work involved with Traditional style rock climbing.

Thanks people.

By the way, Fantastic Forum.

DiscGo
02-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Welcome to the site. Not to pry here too much but neither of you have been Canyoneering and you intend on going Canyoneering by yourselves? Are you at all worried about the safety risks?

What part of Utah are you planning on visiting for you Canyoneering?

qedcook
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
How many days are you planning on using for your trip?

I'd look into the Bluejohn Canyons in the Robbers Roost. Perfect for beginners.

There are also a lot of canyons close by that are well suited for beginners. Larry Canyon perhaps. The White Roost Canyons. North Fork of Robbers Roost is also perfect for beginners. But I'd look first into the Bluejohn Canyons and if that fills up all the time you have, then that's the best canyon around for beginners.

Keep in mind that Robbers Roost is out in the middle of nowhere. Have enough water and gasoline with you and know where the nearest hospital is.

Shandog
02-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the site. Not to pry here too much but neither of you have been Canyoneering and you intend on going Canyoneering by yourselves? Are you at all worried about the safety risks?

What part of Utah are you planning on visiting for you Canyoneering?

O.K. let me start over. Two competent Individuals, both with experience in Canyoneering and Caving in Canada, are looking to have fun in some Utah canyons. Before you pounce, I realize Canyoneering in Canada and Utah are two differnt things. Most Narrow canyons here can only be navigated during winter, when its not a raging torrent but Ice instead, which poses its own interesting problems.

Neither of us have been canyoneering in Utah and both realize the canyons there have obstacles which we have never encountered before like flash floods, Keeper potholes, navigation in a weird desert landscape, the list goes on i'm sure.

We both Own and have experience in using the all of the equipment necessary for canyoneering except specialized tools such as the "Happy Hooker".

Were both Green to Utah Canyoneering.
So, yes were going by ourselves, but will get a guide if need be.
and yes, I'm worried about the safety Risks. thats why i'm asking questions.

Iceaxe
02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
What part or area of the state will you be visiting? If we know that we can probably help you out a little more...

What canyons do you currently have your eye on? and maybe we can give a yea or nay recommendation....

How long do you plan to stay?

And welcome to the forum. :2thumbs:

Cirrus2000
02-13-2009, 01:14 PM
O.K. let me start over. Two competent Individuals, both with experience in Canyoneering and Caving in Canada, are looking to have fun in some Utah canyons. Before you pounce, I realize Canyoneering in Canada and Utah are two differnt things. Most Narrow canyons here can only be navigated during winter, when its not a raging torrent but Ice instead, which poses its own interesting problems.

What sort of canyons have you done up here? Whereabouts?

You'll find that there are a lot of different "feeling" canyons in Utah - you'll have to dabble and try out different things. I love the skinnies in the North Wash - I'm hoping to head back there in April of this year. The wet stuff in Zion is neat, but snow might be a concern in March.

Go see Tom's info here: http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/index.htm
and Shane's (Iceaxe's) info here: http://climb-utah.com/

Both are excellent resources. And keep looking around the site at reports and other requests.

I don't have a lot of experience, but can strongly recommend (for beginners) Keyhole in Zion, and the Irish canyons in the North Wash.

And welcome to the site!

Shandog
02-13-2009, 01:47 PM
There are some fantastic Canyons in the the Rockies around Jasper, Banff and Kootenay National Park. The canyons around Jasper tend to have a lot of water during the summer months because they are fed by an underground water system which drains a lake during the summer. also just outside of Cadomin in Alberta there are some beautiful Caving opportunities.

goofball
02-13-2009, 03:22 PM
so my question is, what grade canyon would be Ideal for a couple of green Canyoneers? I'm not at all familiar with the canyon rating system

to answer your question, likely any "3" rated canyon. i had never even climbed before jumping into technical canyons and started on 3's. you know your comfort level and are quite capable i am sure of determining what sounds fun to you. kelsey's books, climb-utah, canyoneeringusa, outdoorzen, and summitpost will you give you some good info on specific canyons so you can choose what appeals to you.

enjoy ! so utah rocks !

ACA CANYONEERING RATING SYSTEM

TECHNICAL CLASSIFICATION
1. Canyon Hiking

Sombeech
02-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Welcome to bogley!

Shandog
02-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Sweet! Thanks Goofball. Just the answer I've been looking for.

stefan
02-13-2009, 09:51 PM
welcome to the forum.

a resource that may be useful to you this compilation of links on canyoneering for the colorado plateau

LINK (http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/)

Don
02-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Welcome to Bogley.

Is it your first trip to Utah? I was just thinking a focus toward Zion because it really is an amazing place, but Zion canyons present a logistical issue because you have to deal with permits and camping restrictions around and in the park.

You will be posting a trip report when all is said and done right?

Scott P
02-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Is it your first trip to Utah? I was just thinking a focus toward Zion because it really is an amazing place

True that it is amazing, but March isn't the ideal time for most Zion canyons.

I would suggest Roost, Powell or North Wash at that time of year. Some Swell canyons are pretty good at that time of year too.

AJ
02-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Is it your first trip to Utah? I was just thinking a focus toward Zion because it really is an amazing place

True that it is amazing, but March isn't the ideal time for most Zion canyons.

I would suggest Roost, Powell or North Wash at that time of year. Some Swell canyons are pretty good at that time of year too.

I agree with Scott. Zion can be quite variable in March. I'd swing towards North Wash as others have suggested. Great place to break into canyoneering as the canyons are well traveled; so the anchors SHOULD be in good shape and the canyons are short; so if you make quick work of one, make a loop and do another. We've done the whole set in a day...

Some of the Roost stuff would be my second choice, as they aren't as wet. However, sounds like you guys have some class C experience; so maybe wet doesn't bother you.

When are you going? I'll have a group down in the Roost for the weekend starting 3/19. Maybe we'll cross paths. If you are around during that timeframe; you are more than welcome to come by and say hi!

Take care,
A.J.