PDA

View Full Version : What pays your bills?

Mtnbiker
02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey, I just had a crazy thought. I was out making calls today and ran into something I hadn't seen in a while... a small town, old fashioned business card display board. You know, a common meeting place where people post their business cards for others to see and use as necessary. Kinda cool!

It got me thinking.. why not post what you do for work to see if someone in the Bogley family is looking for those services? In today's tough economy its nice to see friends helping friends.

For example, when we had our daughter and realized our mountain biking life had changed forever I had visions of hiring a traveling babysitter to accompany us on weekend trips to hang out with the baby at camp while wifey and I hit the trails. Where does one go about finding those services?

I'll start with my own shameless plug:
After several years in Engineering I decided to throw in the towel with office life and join the dark side.. I'm now a Manufacturer's sales rep and loving it! I represent about 15 different lines of equipment in the bulk materials handling/processing and pollution control industry in Utah and Idaho.

Our main lines include: pneumatic conveying systems, crushers, dust collectors, wet scrubbers, classifiers, agglomerators, dryers, volumetric & weight loss feeders, metal detectors & separators, weighers, expansion joints, liquid mixers, bin dischargers, and boiler quality H20 demin systems.

What do YOU do?? By all means keep your anonymity until someone wants to contact you.
Ian

RugerShooter
02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I work for a company that sells Plumbing & Industrial Supplies including anything from pipe & fittings water heaters toilets faucets, and yes the kitchen sink. We also sell power tools & safety equipment.

live2ride
02-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I sell drugs and steroids, alchohol, etc. Always need something like that in a tough economy!!

live2ride
02-12-2009, 08:14 PM
For example, when we had our daughter and realized our mountain biking life had changed forever I had visions of hiring a traveling babysitter to accompany us on weekend trips to hang out with the baby at camp while wifey and I hit the trails. Where does one go about finding those services?

It is called a grandma, there are usually 2 of them per familiy. :roflol:

greyhair biker
02-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I ship sulfite and bi-sulfite in lots of 200,000# to be used in coalfired powerplants nationwide to reduce gasses producing acid rain..........and I own a bikeshop :haha:

savanna3313
02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I am a real estate agent.......in other words, I'm basically unemployed right now. :haha:

DiscGo
02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
I do enterprise level IT support.

Wasatch Rebel
02-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Okay, I'm a mailman, but I can't get you any deals. :lol8:

I'm also a writer though. I've written articles for Outdoor Life and Bow and Arrow Hunting. and I am currently the newsletter editor for the League of Utah Writers newsletter The Lariat. I can write just about anything anyone would need. So if you have a writing project that pays, I'm all ears! :2thumbs:

CrazyFinn
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I haven't worked in years. I was lucky enough to sell my old house at the peak just before the prices fell and have been building our new house with the money. Almost done and almost out of money. The wife has rental property.

Used to do Electrical engineering and got a call yesterday for a request for quote on some boards I designed years ago so maybe I go back to work for awhile.

But we want to retire and just play.

abirken
02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
First and foremost, I SHOULD be getting paid to be a counselor but instead I pop zits, groom pubic hairs with hot wax, operate a laser to remove melanocytes from skin, peel the epidermis with chemicals, help inject botulism into fine lines, give "Angelina" lips with a little bovine and a syringe while attempting to make women feel better about themselves and help them spend their husbands money to do it. :2thumbs: How was that for a run on sentence? :lol8:

LOAH
02-13-2009, 06:20 AM
To help me out, all you have to do is go to the nearest gas station, load up on some of those ridiculous novelty toys found in cardboard displays, pick up a few of those crack torch lighters, and buy some cheap sunglasses and work gloves.

SNAP Lighters, PUGSGEAR, Novelty Outfitters. :2thumbs:

Mtnbiker
02-13-2009, 10:09 AM
...help inject botulism into fine lines, give "Angelina" lips with a little bovine and a syringe while attempting to make women feel better about themselves and help them spend their husbands money to do it. :2thumbs: How was that for a run on sentence? :lol8:

Um, wow! haha.. I'll be sure to keep you in mind when I need some lip-work done :lol8:

But do you like it? that's the important thing :2thumbs:

Skylinerider
02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
I am an architectural drafter. Commercial buildings, hospitals, government facilities. I've been doing this for 3 years and it's great, but sometimes you miss the sun.
I worked in Logistics with Walmart Trans. for a little over a year, and my favorite was working for the DNR at a state park for 3 years. Wouldn't mind getting a nonseasonal (full time) job doing that kind of work.

Iceaxe
02-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm a Structural Engineer

I design big things made out of steel.... oil refineries, power plants....

Below are two jobs I did last year. First is a conveyor up in the Canadian tar sands. Second is a bridge in Arizona.

Kent K25
02-13-2009, 11:16 AM
I teach Math and Science coach basketball. Luckily my job is pretty safe but basically useless to anyone on this board.

Unless you live in St. George and have kids, or...need some basketball pointers :)

Got my degree in Mechanical Engineering and have done a few things on the side, mostly small stuff since it's just me.

shlingdawg
02-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm your run of the mill pharmaceutical rep. I sell generic injectables to hospitals and cancer centers in 7 states. Luckily I don't have to deal with doctors, only buyers. So far, knock on wood, it's a good business to be in. We don't sell products that are used much in elective surgeries, mostly it's transplant drugs and chemo/oncology products.

No, I can't do anyone any favors either.

cachehiker
02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
I finished my degree in Mathematics and my current job title is "Electrical Testing Engineer" and I feel like the only person in my workgroup whose title doesn't fit. They hand me all sorts of odd projects and it's the variety that I enjoy. If it's mostly electrical but too mechanical for the sparkies, I get it. If it's mostly mechanical but too electrical for the greasers, I get it. If it involves a freakin buttload of numbers, I get it.

My principle niche is testing and characterizing motors and modeling the physical systems they're driving. I specify, set up, and program Data Acquisition Systems to collect voltage, amperage, stress, strain, velocity, vibration, and temperature data. I've also been programming various PLC's as well as designing the test fixtures requiring a combination of mechanical linkages, motors, solenoids, pneumatics, electronics, and programming.

Right now I'm testing flywheels for magnetic braking systems. Now is that mechanical because of the flywheel? Or electrical because of the magnetics?

I do some work on the side every year. Send me any automation projects you'd care to have me look at. :nod:

ilanimaka
02-13-2009, 12:56 PM
I do server maintenance and general IT work.

Don
02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Army. If you need me to kill someone for you they must be a terrorist, preferably muslim and they have to shoot at me first.

:haha:

Cirrus2000
02-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Army. If you need me to kill someone for you they must be a terrorist, preferably muslim and they have to shoot at me first.

:haha:
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Me: air traffic control. If you aren't sure whether your runway is vacant, or need some navigational assistance while in radar coverage, I'm your man.

Iceaxe
02-13-2009, 01:59 PM

[i][b]

kaptain
02-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm a gigolo, but I'm not very good so I only get the old ones.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/DrzWho/Motivational/cougars.jpg

Mtnbiker
02-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Me: air traffic control. If you aren't sure whether your runway is vacant, or need some navigational assistance while in radar coverage, I'm your man.

That's cool man - do you ever have to tell a pilot "I'm afraid you'll have to circle a few more times, I've just gotta finish this Bogley thread!" ? :roflol:

Mtnbiker
02-13-2009, 03:00 PM
By the way a friend of mine has a couple of pet projects he's working on and is trying to find anyone who works with solar panel manufacturing companies, or is up on the latest panel technology?

TreeHugger
02-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Anyone need counseling??? (I'm thinking probably!) :haha:

abirken
02-13-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm a gigolo, but I'm not very good so I only get the old ones.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/DrzWho/Motivational/cougars.jpg

Why you gotta be stealing all the GOOD ones from GHB and DON? They need love too. :lol8:

greyhair biker
02-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Alison....you are BAD :lol8:

Don
02-13-2009, 10:02 PM
That's not cool. :nono:

Actually she looks ok, not so sure about the smoking, but you know what they say about chicks who smoke... :naughty:

abirken
02-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Actually she looks ok, not so sure about the smoking, but you know what they say about chicks who smoke... :naughty:

I agree....she's ok. But compared to that Cougar at The Wine Cellar.......this chic has nothing on her. Plus that Cougar at the Wine Cellar could do fun things with a blue glow stick and her mouth! :eek2: I'd say that could be more fun than a cigarette. BTW- What do they say about women that smoke? Besides the fact that it's gross? :lol8:

blueeyes
02-13-2009, 11:17 PM

I agree....she's ok. But compared to that Cougar at The Wine Cellar.......this chic has nothing on her. Plus that Cougar at the Wine Cellar could do fun things with a blue glow stick and her mouth! :eek2: I'd say that could be more fun than a cigarette. BTW- What do they say about women that smoke? Besides the fact that it's gross? :lol8:

:toofunny: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

she was a beauty!

accadacca
02-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Marketing Technologist - I run a diverse multidisciplinary web team. We manage 50+ domestic and international websites in about 10 languages. This includes, design, content, development, SEO (search engine optimization), SMM (social media marketing), and many other forms of online marketing.

Basically, I'm a web dood. :lol8:

R
02-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Pretending to be a small-town news photographer, while actually being Agency. The Director will disavow all knowledge of me.

ddavis
02-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Cachehiker, do you mind if I ask what company you work for? One of the departments in the company I work for is looking for someone to hire, and your background sounds like if might fit what they do.

My name is Deborah Davis, and I work for ATK Lauch Systems. This feels a little awkward, but if you are interested, I would like to find out more about your education and work background. Would you mind emailing me your contact information? You can reach me at dsijdavis@yahoo.com.

rockgremlin
02-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm a mining engineer.

If you've got some gold, silver, copper, coal or other marketable mineral commodity in your backyard, I can help you. :haha:

"Rockgremlin....for all your mining needs..."

The minerals within the earth not only put food on the table, but I have a love affair with hiking, canyoneering and basically all things outdoors...hence the reason I'm a passionate member of this site. I work in it, I play in it. :2thumbs:

blueeyes
02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
I am the CLS Online Coordinator & Practicums Coordinator / Adjunct Faculty at WSU.

We have about 280 students nation wide and international working towards either their associates or bachelors degree in CLS. The entire degree can be done online as long as you have the support of a clinical lab. I also schedule all of the on-campus students practicums between their sophomore and junior years. And I teach two online classes and hoping to get at least one more soon.

I also work at a clinic on Monday and Friday nights in SL as a Medical Technologist. When you go to the doc and he takes a blood sample and orders a BMP, CBC or LIPID test I know how to run those. Or maybe you pee in a cup and need to know if you have UTI. I can do that too. Or suppose you received a nasty looking cut to the back of your hand and now it is infected, I help the doc determine the best antibiotic to use if needs be. Oh and should you by some chance have a nasty bout of diarrhea.. guess what I have to take care of those samples too!

greyhair biker
02-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I am the CLS Online Coordinator & Practicums Coordinator / Adjunct Faculty at WSU.

We have about 280 students nation wide and international working towards either their associates or bachelors degree in CLS. The entire degree can be done online as long as you have the support of a clinical lab. I also schedule all of the on-campus students practicums between their sophomore and junior years. And I teach two online classes and hoping to get at least one more soon.

I also work at a clinic on Monday and Friday nights in SL as a Medical Technologist. When you go to the doc and he takes a blood sample and orders a BMP, CBC or LIPID test I know how to run those. Or maybe you pee in a cup and need to know if you have UTI. I can do that too. Or suppose you received a nasty looking cut to the back of your hand and now it is infected, I help the doc determine the best antibiotic to use if needs be. Oh and should you by some chance have a nasty bout of diarrhea.. guess what I have to take care of those samples too!
:hail2thechief: where DO you find the time!
....yesterday I worked for Solvay Chemicals...spent the day in blending making 100# barrels of sulfite mixed with sodium metabisulfite and cobalt for water treatment plants in Tampa - the most stressful thing I had to do was to wait for the lab to tell me my samples passed. Today I was a bicycle repairman. I have it easy compared to you :haha: (you rock girl)

greyhair biker
02-14-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm a mining engineer.

If you've got some gold, silver, copper, coal or other marketable mineral commodity in your backyard, I can help you. :haha:

:2thumbs: some who understands me - finally :haha: