PDA

View Full Version : Feb weather / road conditions

raxafarian
02-11-2009, 08:07 AM
The weather isn't looking so good for the next week.

I'm planning on being in Zion on sunday and then the Kanab area through tuesday with The Wave permits for wednesday before heading to the 4 corners / Blanding, UT area.

Any idea of conditions for the following:
1. Road from Fredonia to Tuweep
2. Cottonwood Canyon Road
3. House Rock Valley Road (for the wave)

I'll have a jeep grand cherokee but I do understand about the clay on a lot of the roads.

I'm sure we can find something to do if some roads are not open but I could also make alternate arrangements for sunday-tuesday and then try the Wave on wed... such as Death Valley for a few days and then head to Coyote Buttes for wed.

Is there snow on the ground now in Kanab?

fouristhenewone
02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Here is what I know - the road from Fredonia to Tuweep is likely pretty soggy. I drove it a month and half ago, and there was several super deep mud spots. about 2/3 of a mile from the Ranger station, there was one very very deep one, and I barely made it through in my Tacoma. There was a second huge one about 1/3 of a mile from the overview that I didn't dare go through, so I parked back down the road a ways and hiked in. As far as road conditions go now, the only other information from the area that I have came from my wife's trip down two weekends ago. My brother-in-law and wife drove down to the Jacob Lake area to hike Kanab Creek, and the Jacob Lake road was covered in around 10 inches of snow from the highway on. They didn't chance it, but said it didn't look good.