PDA

View Full Version : CUSA Tech Tips Update

ratagonia
02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
I have re-organized the tech tips section into the "upcoming book section"; and added a couple knots to it, including the EDK, Stone Knot and the Offset Overhand Bend. Look carefully, you might see some Bunny Ears in there too....

:drums:

Tom

Iceaxe
02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Yo... dude.... forgot the link....

http://canyoneeringusa.com/cusapress/knots/index.htm

:popcorn:

ratagonia
02-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Yo... dude.... forgot the link....

http://canyoneeringusa.com/cusapress/knots/index.htm

Oh, man. My bad. Thanks, Ice.

TJ

Felicia
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Tom, very nice presentation.

:2thumbs:

ratagonia
02-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Tom, very nice presentation.

:2thumbs:

Thanks, sweetie....

But i was really hoping to provoke some comments---

What, no SQUARE KNOT???????

T

Felicia
02-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks, sweetie....

But i was really hoping to provoke some comments---

T

Since you are open to questions: Re: BUNNY EARS FIGURE OF EIGHT ON A BIGHT - why would you use this knot to set up an anchor? What would a scenario be that would prompt the set-up depicted in the last photograph?

What, no SQUARE KNOT???????

T

From what I've read, a square knot is not considered to be a good knot.

trackrunner
02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Since you are open to questions: Re: BUNNY EARS FIGURE OF EIGHT ON A BIGHT - why would you use this knot to set up an anchor? What would a scenario be that would prompt the set-up depicted in the last photograph?

I could see using it as a fix line attached to two bolts. You could adjust the ears to equalize the load.

Felicia
02-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I could see using it as a fix line attached to two bolts. You could adjust the ears to equalize the load.

But, a sling would do the same thing with less hardware?

Edit: I think the 'fix line' has me confused. Do you lose strength and/or integrity of the anchor when you use a sling. Is it stronger to go directly off the bolts?

ratagonia
02-10-2009, 09:11 PM

But, a sling would do the same thing with less hardware?

Edit: I think the 'fix line' has me confused. Do you lose strength and/or integrity of the anchor when you use a sling. Is it stronger to go directly off the bolts?

---- That's better ----

"Fixing" means setting the rope up fixed (rather than for retrieval from below). The rope will either be ascended, or someone will go fetch the rope from above after the canyon descent.

YES, it is stonger to put carabiners in the bolt hangers, and then the rope into the carabiners. You can use slings, but where the slings cross the sharp edge of the bolt hanger, it tends to get chewed up (although, usually not too badly).

RAZZLE DAZZLE!

Basically, my claim is that using a regular Fig-8-Bight will get you in trouble, because it is difficult to un-tie. So you gotta use something better - Fig 9 is the obvious, easiest choice. I like the Fig-8-Rabbit Ears only because it is fancy and razzle-dazzle, and because, with practice, I can tie it at any time. Does allow a nice clipping to two points, but this is rarely helpful, as most two-bolt anchors are set up with webbing already. :rockon:

Tom :moses:

Felicia
02-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I got it! :mrgreen:

After tying each knot several times, I really like the bunny ears the best. :2thumbs: