PDA

View Full Version : Right Fork up Taylor Creek (near or in Zion NP)

jman
02-07-2009, 05:52 AM
I don't know where I found this and I did some searching but anyone have any info?

A friend of mine gave me this info and said this was a fun but cold slot canyon with water for 2 1/2 miles or so.

The coords are here:

jb
02-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Icebox Canyon--long day, very little actual "slot," but lots of very scenic canyon. When I was there, during the month of May, we found very little water, only one mandatory pool above knee deep if I recall correctly. Plus the canyon faces almost due south and is relatively open, so carrying wetsuits would've been a bummer (on that day).

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/icebox.htm
http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-ice-box.htm

Scott P
02-07-2009, 07:32 AM
When I was there, during the month of May, we found very little water, only one mandatory pool above knee deep if I recall correctly. Plus the canyon faces almost due south and is relatively open, so carrying wetsuits would've been a bummer (on that day).

Depends on the year. Here is part of my story in the canyon:

[i]Icebox was known as Waterfalls, and I don

trackrunner
02-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Icebox is another one on my hit list. Can't make up my mind if I want to do north pass or south pass. . .

I guess I'll do both

Bo_Beck
02-07-2009, 10:47 AM
[quote=jman]I don't know where I found this and I did some searching but anyone have any info?

A friend of mine gave me this info and said this was a fun but cold slot canyon with water for 2 1/2 miles or so.

The coords are here:

jman
02-07-2009, 05:15 PM
wow - you guys are amazing on finding out things. Icebox looks actually pretty fun. Although in Tanyas and Bo's page - it says its a 16-hr hike. wow - that's long.....ugh.

Shane should add this to his page - or I guess now that I think about it - I wonder what gets classified as being a part of Climb Utah? Of course, Shane has to do it first - and I'm sure he has more than plenty on his plate (although I am excited to here about his new find about a "similar Subway" Tanyas page actually has a LOT more than I thought previously.

And then another question is - is there some page or information book that has a topo - say of Taylor Creek (the fingers of Kolob) and lists all the canyons in that page (and which ones are technical) and so on? I mean most lists I have seen just list the names - but it doesn't really tell me where it is without deep researching. It would be helpful if someone created a map - like the one where some created a huge -15foot Google Earth Map (that u could print) that listed most canyons in Southern Utah (both east and west). Now if someone added to that - was a link or note to which ones have betas for or whatnot. That's probably asking for a lot - but if you wanted to explore a new area in the Swell - you could check this map and see what the canyon is named and from there it would - you click on the canyon's name - would take you to the beta page. If not, you could write up your own. Also it would make it easier to find new canyons to explore and get new betas.

stefan
02-07-2009, 05:36 PM
It would be helpful if someone created a map - like the one where some created a huge -15foot Google Earth Map (that u could print) that listed most canyons in Southern Utah (both east and west). Now if someone added to that - was a link or note to which ones have betas for or whatnot. That's probably asking for a lot -

here are two resources you might find helpful

http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5983
http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5947

Bo_Beck
02-08-2009, 05:54 AM
wow - you guys are amazing on finding out things. Icebox looks actually pretty fun. Although in Tanyas and Bo's page - it says its a 16-hr hike. wow - that's long.....ugh.

It can be done in far less than 16 hours. Tanya and I always opt to be very conservative in our descriptions as to not get someone in trouble. A group of 2 with good hiking and canyon skills probably could finish the entire loop in 6 hours?????

ratagonia
02-08-2009, 09:00 AM

It can be done in far less than 16 hours. Tanya and I always opt to be very conservative in our descriptions as to not get someone in trouble. A group of 2 with good hiking and canyon skills probably could finish the entire loop in 6 hours?????

Bo=crazy man!!! Remember that Bo has the speed record for Angels Landing - what 48 minutes up AND down???

Perhaps Bo and Courtney could pull it off in 6 hours, but ordinary humans could not. I have done em twice, as overnights, which of course slows it down quite a bit. I have em in the Book as 8-12 hours, but thinking about that I think it rather fast. 10-14 I think would be more realistic. You'd have to book pretty good to do it in 10 hours.

The canyon faces south, but is narrow and high-walled. It holds snow long into the spring. I would not expect it to be "in condition" until the end of May, at earliest.

Tom

ratagonia
02-08-2009, 09:13 AM
And then another question is - is there some page or information book that has a topo - say of Taylor Creek (the fingers of Kolob) and lists all the canyons in that page (and which ones are technical) and so on? I mean most lists I have seen just list the names - but it doesn't really tell me where it is without deep researching.

There's quite a bit of information available. Try searching "Zion Canyoneering". Or, try the book:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/cusapress/

Maps are available for download here:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/intro/mapcenter.php

or for purchase here:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/home.php?cat=111

In the Taylor Creek / Kolob Fingers Canyons area, the only known and commonly done technical canyon is Icebox. The North, Middle and South Forks of Taylor end in steep gullies that look unpleasant. They have been on my list to explore for about 10 years, but they are unlikely to be anything other than unpleasant, so they don't make it to the top of the list. The access to the interesting side canyons of Icebox is very difficult - so these are not getting done, either.

It would be helpful if someone created a map - like the one where some created a huge -15foot Google Earth Map (that u could print) that listed most canyons in Southern Utah (both east and west). Now if someone added to that - was a link or note to which ones have betas for or whatnot. That's probably asking for a lot - but if you wanted to explore a new area in the Swell - you could check this map and see what the canyon is named and from there it would - you click on the canyon's name - would take you to the beta page. If not, you could write up your own. Also it would make it easier to find new canyons to explore and get new betas.

Go ahead... :popcorn:

OK, well...

There's a LOT of information out there and available, free of charge or at a modest fee. It's called The Internet, and it looks like it might catch on. It's a lot like what you described, but less centralized. The centralizing ingrediant is Google.

Speaking as a greybeard, I think that if you do a little canyoneering, get out a bit, do some canyons, hang out, etc.. you will find that there are very good reasons that a centralized database is undesirable. I'd also warn against taking beta from people you do not know. Quality of beta is important. I recommend sticking to the "brand names": Shane, Bo and Tanya, and Tom.

Tom :moses:

jman
02-08-2009, 05:36 PM
And then another question is - is there some page or information book that has a topo - say of Taylor Creek (the fingers of Kolob) and lists all the canyons in that page (and which ones are technical) and so on? I mean most lists I have seen just list the names - but it doesn't really tell me where it is without deep researching.

There's quite a bit of information available. Try searching "Zion Canyoneering". Or, try the book:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/cusapress/

Maps are available for download here:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/intro/mapcenter.php

or for purchase here:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/home.php?cat=111

In the Taylor Creek / Kolob Fingers Canyons area, the only known and commonly done technical canyon is Icebox. The North, Middle and South Forks of Taylor end in steep gullies that look unpleasant. They have been on my list to explore for about 10 years, but they are unlikely to be anything other than unpleasant, so they don't make it to the top of the list. The access to the interesting side canyons of Icebox is very difficult - so these are not getting done, either.

It would be helpful if someone created a map - like the one where some created a huge -15foot Google Earth Map (that u could print) that listed most canyons in Southern Utah (both east and west). Now if someone added to that - was a link or note to which ones have betas for or whatnot. That's probably asking for a lot - but if you wanted to explore a new area in the Swell - you could check this map and see what the canyon is named and from there it would - you click on the canyon's name - would take you to the beta page. If not, you could write up your own. Also it would make it easier to find new canyons to explore and get new betas.

Go ahead... :popcorn:

OK, well...

There's a LOT of information out there and available, free of charge or at a modest fee. It's called The Internet, and it looks like it might catch on. It's a lot like what you described, but less centralized. The centralizing ingrediant is Google.

Speaking as a greybeard, I think that if you do a little canyoneering, get out a bit, do some canyons, hang out, etc.. you will find that there are very good reasons that a centralized database is undesirable. I'd also warn against taking beta from people you do not know. Quality of beta is important. I recommend sticking to the "brand names": Shane, Bo and Tanya, and Tom.

Tom :moses:

wow thanks for the novel. I needed some of those links; And i stick generally to the trade-mark betas as you say, yours, Shanes and Tanyas and Bos.

I've been in canyoneering since 2001. And has always been a great love for me. My 3rd year we went down to Egypt, 2, 3, and 4. And wow 4 was incredibbly tough - but insanely fun- but unfotunately we had a shreded rope so we had to bivy about less than 1/4 though it. But Zion has been my new desire. Lots of water - and LOTS of canyons in a small enough area.