PDA

View Full Version : News Hiker who hiked the R2R hundreds of times has died

trackrunner
02-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Canyon deaths likely murder-suicide
Sources identify the dead as two elderly residents of Grand Canyon Village.

By CYNDY COLE
Sun Staff Reporter
Friday, February 06, 2009

Two people, whose bodies were recovered just after midnight Thursday at the Grand Canyon, likely died as a result of a murder- suicide, the National Park Service announced Thursday.

The bodies were found by someone who called 911 to report the deaths of two individuals in the western part of Grand Canyon Village, in a residential trailer in the park. Investigators had not released the identity of the victims as of early Thursday evening, said Grand Canyon National Park spokeswoman Maureen Oltrogge, though park personnel had been in the home to attempt medical help if possible.

Several people who were familiar with the case identified the two dead as Grand Canyon hiker Laurent "Maverick" Gaudreau, 82, and Grand Canyon Association employee Shirley Gaudreau, 73.

Several familiar with the case also confirmed that the home of the Gaudreaus was blocked off for investigators.

The two married after meeting at the park more than a decade ago.

Federal officials confirmed it was likely a murder-suicide.

There was no evidence of a third person involved, according to the National Park Service.

Maverick Gaudreau completed at least 82 rim-to-rim hikes (KSL lists 106) across the Grand Canyon by his 80th birthday in 2006 and has written a number of inspirational columns for the Grand Canyon News.

Shirley Gaudreau has been an employee at several book stores along the South Rim.

The National Park Service and FBI are investigating.

http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2009/02/06/news/20090206_front_190404.txt

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5526446

ddavis
02-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. I actually met him once, three or four years ago. I did the R2R hike with my father, and Maverick was on the shuttle we took back to the North Rim when we were done with the hike. The suttle driver told us they let him ride free because he was good company for the rest of the passengers. He was fascinating to listen to - he was a fantastic story teller, and he really was great entertainment on the ride back.

What a shame.