PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Cove Closed

kaptain
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
From Yahoo:

Wanted to pass this on: Some of you may be familiar with a "free BLM Campground" on Utah Highway 9 at milepost 23.5 on the way to Zion, between the towns of Virgin and Rockville.

BLM has closed this area to camping indefinitely, and is in the process of doing paperwork it "needs to do" to close the area permanently. They have already installed closure signage, and a gate, and will be locking the gate as soon as the paperwork is completed.

When asked the why the area was being closed, the BLM said that camping there has been considered a threat to the water source (Virgin River) for local communities because of the amount of human feces that has been repeatedly disposed of in the river, and on its banks, and the amount of garbage and pollution left at the area.

The BLM reported that local communities have requested the closure.

This is what I know for now, Please feel free to contact the Washington County BLM St. George Field Office for more information. 435-688-3200.

Thanks,
Dave Buckingham

Don
02-06-2009, 12:10 PM
They should have had toilets in there years ago! Of course there's a waste problem. ****in retards.

I'm a little annoyed that it stayed open and in that condition for so long. I don't want to see it closed. I want to see it improved. Even if that means paid camping there.

Who was it first started calling the place hepatitis cove?

Jaxx
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
bummer. I have loved that nice sandy spot. That is the only place we have camped while in the area.

The feces is a problem. Here is my wife's face while washing our dog after the dog rolled in human poop. She lost paper-rock-scissors so I was laughing and snapping pics, it wasn't helping the situation.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/jaxpb03/4StephdevilwashingMiya.jpg

don't tell her I posted her pic or she will KILL me!

Iceaxe
02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
If looks could kill.... :roflol:

I've never camped at Hepatitis Cove.... but this still sucks. Now all the retards will just move into the places I do camp.

Canyongirl
02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
that is a picture of me. anyone would look that same way if you had to scrape human poo out of your dogs fur with your fingernails. jax you are in trouble for posting this picture. next time you want to post my picture make it not such a scarey one

Scott Card
02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
that is a picture of me. anyone would look that same way if you had to scrape human poo out of your dogs fur with your fingernails. jax you are in trouble for posting this picture. next time you want to post my picture make it not such a scarey one I see flowers or maybe gold in your future! :lol8: (I couldn't find a crystal ball emoticon)

Jaxx
02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
jax you are in trouble for posting this picture.

uh-oh...

Here is one that I love. Such a cutie.
This is from the same day. Just a little later, without poo in the fingernails.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/jaxpb03/34Steph.jpg

Iceaxe
02-06-2009, 01:53 PM
bere is my wife's face while washing our dog after the dog rolled in human poop.

Ok, here we go, we got a real pressure cooker going here, two down, nobody on, no score, bottom of the ninth, there's the wind-up and there it is, a line shot up the middle, look at him go. This boy can really fly!

don't tell her I posted her pic or she will KILL me!

He's rounding first and really turning it on now, he's not letting up at all, he's gonna try for second; the ball is bobbled out in center, and here comes the throw, and what a throw!

that is a picture of me.

He's gonna slide in head first, here he comes, he's out!
No, wait, safe--safe at second base, this kid really makes things happen out there.

jax you are in trouble for posting this picture.

Batter steps up to the plate, here's the pitch--he's going, and what a jump he's got, he's trying for third, here's the throw, it's in the dirt--safe at third! Holy cow, stolen base! He's taking a pretty big lead out there, almost daring him to try and pick him off. The pitcher glance over, winds up, and it's bunted, bunted down the third base line, the suicide squeeze in on!

Here is one that I love. Such a cutie.

Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close,here's the throw, there's the play at the plate, holy cow, I think he's gonna make it!

:lol8:

Jaxx
02-06-2009, 01:59 PM
After 8 years I know how to play the game. :roflol:

After I posted it I called and asked if she would be ok with it. She said no, then I told her too late. It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Plus she is a cool wife, very forgibing. Love you babe :five:

jman
02-07-2009, 02:59 AM
oh - a nice free spot once again lost to irreponsibilility on both parts - BLM admin and public.

But there is still a "secret" spot still unknown to everyone close to the road that is stilll quite good....maybe its the one Shane was referring to.

Otherwise everyone will pay $25 for the entrance fee and $16 more for a camping spot. So for nearly $40 - i dunno. I stayed at the Motel 6 in Moab this last week for $48 (including taxes) which included two queens and AC. Now that's a good spot if you don't wanna camp. ALthough, no free continental breakfast.....

nelsonccc
02-07-2009, 01:38 PM
oh - a nice free spot once again lost to irreponsibilility on both parts - BLM admin and public.

But there is still a "secret" spot still unknown to everyone close to the road that is stilll quite good....maybe its the one Shane was referring to.

Otherwise everyone will pay $25 for the entrance fee and $16 more for a camping spot. So for nearly $40 - i dunno. I stayed at the Motel 6 in Moab this last week for $48 (including taxes) which included two queens and AC. Now that's a good spot if you don't wanna camp. ALthough, no free continental breakfast.....

There are at least 2 spots that I know of that are just as convenient as Mosquito and another 3-4 that are a little more off the beaten path but still better than mosquito.

jman
02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
well mosquito isn't the "best" that's for sure. But for being free - not to shabby. There is a LOT of bugs, next to a river (which is a huge plus) and lots of shubbery and trees for shade. Also lots of camping spots for free.

But it was really sandy and garbage was a problem.

There's a good spot in Virgin that has is away from the main road and yes has the virgin pretty close - but hardly any trees.

Also, this is random - but the place near LaVerkin Park (in the town of Virgin) is really fun to tube down. LOTS of water and you go right through Sheep Creek Gorge (which you can jump off the cliffs into the virgin) and there was camping spots there - but now its closed "due to the sheriff" as the sign says and I have no idea why he closed it.

tanya
02-17-2009, 07:51 AM
I found where I read about Mosquito Cove closing. :haha:

Jaxx
02-17-2009, 10:25 AM
I always camped at Mosquito cove while down there. Does anyone want to give their secret spots to me? I promise not to publish them or trash them. PM me please!

nat
02-17-2009, 11:10 AM
I always camped at Mosquito cove while down there. Does anyone want to give their secret spots to me? I promise not to publish them or trash them. PM me please!

I usually camp on Smith Mesa. Take the Kolob Reservoir road from Virgin (as if going to the subway TH). After about 8 miles, there is a good dirt road that branches off to the left. Take this for about a mile, and just as you reach the mesa top, you leave the Park boundary, and you can camp anywhere off the road. There are a number of spots in the immediate area. In summer it's nice as it's at least 10 degrees cooler than down in the valley bottom. If doing hikes that are not off of the Kolob road, it will add 30 minutes to get to the TH (compared to Mosquito Cove).

Nat

Iceaxe
02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
I usually camp on Smith Mesa.

Ditto....If I camp that is.....

Moose Droppings
02-17-2009, 11:39 AM
visited that place back in june of 08 after a 9-year hiatus... wow did that place ever turn into an urban sh*thole. damn near needed a hazmat suit when chasing down my kids into any group of willows... air stagnated with smoldering charcoal briquettes... loud tuba music... four wheelers... Rent-an-RV generators... barely lasted the night. scouted two other "secret" BLM sites along the hwy-9 corridor the following day. cowsh*t and black flies plagued these other sites. jeebus... if its not human overcrowding its over-grazing... finally ended up across the river and up the road from rockville at a decent (but somewhat inconvient) site populated by (three respectable groups of) mountain bikers.

i reckon the quality of free camping on zion's west side is proportional to the distance on has to travel away from hwy-9.

Jaxx
02-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info on Smith Mesa Nat and Shane.
I think my wife is getting too comfortable with spending the big bucks for a hotel room. I should have never spoiled her like that. Now when we talk about camping she mentions that we will just stay in a hotel. So I am going to have to ban her from hotels for a while. Get back to the basics.

Scott Card
02-17-2009, 03:23 PM
So I am going to have to ban her from hotels for a while. Get back to the basics. Ahh, good luck with that. I feel your pain. :haha:

erial
02-18-2009, 08:46 AM
The Smith Mesa camp spots are not as shady as they were in years past due to forest fire damage.

There are many camp spots along the Smithsonian Butte Byway. Take Bridge St in Rockville. Some sites appear just after the Grafton rd junction. but better camping on a right side lane beyond the steep hill climb three miles from leaving rt 9 at Bridge. More sites, left side, a quarter mile further on the Biway.