PDA

View Full Version : Upside Down Flag Draws Ire From Neighbors

Mtnman1830
02-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Upside Down Flag Draws Ire From Neighbors Reporting
Carol Cavazos FORT WORTH (CBS 11 News) ―

An upside down American flag signals distress on the high seas.

One Fort Worth homeowner believes the country is in distress and decided to display his flag in 7500 block of Mayfair Circle upside down, as well.

Dean Rutherford is a truck driver and was on the road when CBS 11 attempted to contact hi,

His wife Bonnie says her husband thinks the country "it's going to hell in a hand basket."

Rutherford -- a staunch Republican and a former Navy man -- has flown the flag upside down for months.

"I believe this country is really in distress. The economy, the laws, the things that are going on in our country

DiscGo
02-06-2009, 05:36 AM
I can appreciate where this guy is coming from, but disrespecting the flag says nothing about the current government. You disrespect the people who have died and served proudly for their country.

KapitanSparrow
02-06-2009, 05:48 AM
But he's not disrespecting the flag. If that was the case, then any American seaman in distress flying the flag upside down can be considered disrespectful.

Sombeech
02-06-2009, 06:45 AM
The point is to be expecting a rescue, it's not meant for protest.

The dude may think the country's going to hell, but he can still drive to McDonald's and grab a hamburger any time he wants.

asdf
02-06-2009, 06:45 AM
But he's not disrespecting the flag. If that was the case, then any American seaman in distress flying the flag upside down can be considered disrespectful. :2thumbs:

JP
02-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Somebody had to do this when Bush was in office :haha:

trackrunner
02-06-2009, 05:32 PM

actually someone did this in my neighboorhood at least a year ago. Similar situation, former Navy man & vet.

He's a staunch libitarian. Guess his protest didn't make the news. Maybe if he burned it then it would go on the news.

Someone also did this in my neighboorhood when the Senate didn't call Lewinsky to re-blow the President Clinton on the Senate floor during is his trial & remove him from office. And that's no joke on both parts of that story.

:flag:

donny h
02-07-2009, 03:46 PM

Here's one Oregon family that was harassed for it:

http://www.progressive.org/mag_mc121407

People are idiots. If you want to protest, then make a sign, but flying the flag upside down is not a form of protest, it's simply disrespectful.

Oh, and virtually every single flag flown on vehicles is also disrespectful, unless it's firmly bolted to the chassis or right fender.

United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 covers this:

"The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

"The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode04/usc_sup_01_4_10_1.html

JP
02-09-2009, 04:44 AM
I agree. :nod:

Rev. Coyote
02-17-2009, 07:42 AM
The upside-down flag is a symbol of the American Indian Movement. For that group, it makes sense. It's a powerful symbol.

I like the flag because flying it symbolizes not so much what we are, but the ideals of the best we can be.

UTJetdog
02-17-2009, 07:58 AM
I like the flag because flying it symbolizes not so much what we are, but the ideals of the best we can be.

Well said. :five:

JP
02-17-2009, 08:27 AM
:2thumbs: