PDA

View Full Version : Putting in jointly for a general season permit

Wasatch Rebel
01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
My brother and I want to go hunting together. I noticed that when you put in for a general season permit online, you get to a page that asks if you want to put in together with another person. I didn't have any of my brother's info with me, so I didn't complete the application, but what kind of information am I going to need to fill out this online app if my bro and I want to hunt in the same area?

fourtycal
02-02-2009, 07:06 AM
I've never put in as a group before but from what I can gather you will only need his hunter safety number and the same type of info you put in for yourself like name, address, age etc...

What are you'all applying for? what area?

Wasatch Rebel
02-02-2009, 12:59 PM
I've never put in as a group before but from what I can gather you will only need his hunter safety number and the same type of info you put in for yourself like name, address, age etc...

What are you'all applying for? what area?

Thanks. I kind of like the southeast area. I know that area somewhat. I also know the central area, but not quite as well. It's been awhile since I've gone, and things have changed since then---I last went in 2000 and for a variety of reasons haven't gone since. But I want to take it up again before I get too old and decrepit. I turn the big Five Oh this year, so I'd better get started again. :lol8:

fourtycal
02-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks. I kind of like the southeast area. I know that area somewhat. I also know the central area, but not quite as well. It's been awhile since I've gone, and things have changed since then---I last went in 2000 and for a variety of reasons haven't gone since. But I want to take it up again before I get too old and decrepit. I turn the big Five Oh this year, so I'd better get started again. :lol8:

:2thumbs: It's my favorite hobby. I always hunt southeast too, have had good luck on skyline above fairview and the Blue mountains in San Juan. For me it's more about the outing than anything but if I can fill my freezer, all the better :cool2:

Wasatch Rebel
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
:2thumbs: It's my favorite hobby. I always hunt southeast too, have had good luck on skyline above fairview and the Blue mountains in San Juan. For me it's more about the outing than anything but if I can fill my freezer, all the better :cool2:

When I was a kid, we hunted in the area southeast of Salina, then when I got older and took up archery, I hunted in the Manti Canyon area at a place called Houggards Fork. I'm thinking I might try somewhere in there, but my goal is to find a place that's hard to get into--not a lot of access other than by foot, and then hike back in there and try to get away from other people as much as possible.

PolarXJ
02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
not a lot of access other than by foot, and then hike back in there and try to get away from other people as much as possible.

I try and get away from people as much as possible as well. But its kinda hard to do during the general season.

Wasatch Rebel
02-06-2009, 03:32 PM
not a lot of access other than by foot, and then hike back in there and try to get away from other people as much as possible.

I try and get away from people as much as possible as well. But its kinda hard to do during the general season.

Yeah--I know. That's why they went to drawings and quotas. Well, in most of those areas along Skyline Drive, there are a lot of roads and ATV trails in. What I plan on doing is some scouting and finding the least accessible area that has deer, and hunt as far back in as I think I can drag a deer out. Since my brother has now canceled on me--I may be alone, or he might still come, just not hunt, so then I'd have a helper to drag one out. Then again, Kirt Darner in his book How To Find Giant Bucks talks about how people go right past deer looking for the "high country" and miss out on some great opportunities. So the key is scouting for sure.

fourtycal
02-06-2009, 05:49 PM

If ya can't beat em, join em. Many a year I have bagged a buck because of other hunters. Its like walmart at Christmas, you just have to use some strategy to get what you want :haha:

Wasatch Rebel
02-06-2009, 10:28 PM

If ya can't beat em, join em. Many a year I have bagged a buck because of other hunters. Its like walmart at Christmas, you just have to use some strategy to get what you want :haha:

True enough. Find a good spot, and let others push the deer around to you. :haha: