PDA

View Full Version : Should I get chains for my car?

Shan
01-26-2009, 09:36 AM
I recently bought a Saturn sedan. It has new tires but not snow tires. I don't plan to buy snow tires.

However, I'm planning to drive to Brighton on Friday and leave Sunday. I'm concerned about how the car will do on the roads if there's snow. Right now, on weather.com it doesn't appear to be any big storms, but still there could be packed snow on the road.

So, do I purchase chains? Just drive slower? I've never used chains. I have driven a 4WD jeep for the past 7 years, but that's gone now.

Normally I don't leave Cache Valley with the Saturn, so this is a one time thing really.

Scott Card
01-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Check Les Schwabb. I think they have a return policy. If you don't end up using them, they will take them back and you get a full refund. At least that is how they did it last year.

A word of caution. You must drive about 20 mph max with most chains or they will snap particularly if the road is at all clear in spots. Also, if it is just patchy snow, chains will be a pain. They are great on snow packed roads. I drove to Vernal a few weeks ago during a nasty storm. I put my chains on at my office in Provo and cruised up Provo canyon nicely. I broke one chain just before I arrived in Heber. Luck was with me and there was a Les Schwabb store right on the corner so I exchanged them at no charge.

trackrunner
01-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Chains would be a good investment any ways even you are not going to Brighton.

Do you plan on driving in the snow in Cache Vally?

Unless the snow & ice is pefectly cleared from BCC chains (or 4X4) are required. You could ride the bus up though and leave your car at the park and ride.

Shan
01-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Chains would be a good investment any ways even you are not going to Brighton.

Do you plan on driving in the snow in Cache Vally?

Unless the snow & ice is perfectly cleared from BCC chains (or 4X4) are required. You could ride the bus up though and leave your car at the park and ride.

That's a good idea about Les Schwab. We have one here. So there will be a sign before I get into the canyon that reads chains required?

True, I have considered taking the bus, but I'm going to be hauling all the food for 10 people for 6 days! My BF has a Subaru so he could come get me and the food at the mouth of the canyon if it's snowing hard (he's getting the several people at the airport).

I drive in the snow in Cache Valley, but I never have to go over 25 mph or over 2 miles in distance. If I go skiing, someone else drives.

nelsonccc
01-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I recently bought a Saturn sedan. It has new tires but not snow tires. I don't plan to buy snow tires.

However, I'm planning to drive to Brighton on Friday and leave Sunday. I'm concerned about how the car will do on the roads if there's snow. Right now, on weather.com it doesn't appear to be any big storms, but still there could be packed snow on the road.

So, do I purchase chains? Just drive slower? I've never used chains. I have driven a 4WD jeep for the past 7 years, but that's gone now.

Normally I don't leave Cache Valley with the Saturn, so this is a one time thing really.

HITCHHIKE. I did it for years while going to the U and when I wasn't hitchhiking I was picking up hitchhikers. You'd be surprised how easy it is to catch a ride. You can also take the bus but you used to have to wait forever. I don't know how often they run now.
Please don't be one of those people who lose momentum on the hill and stop and slow down everyone else, if you're going to go up there make sure you have chains.

JP
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Get a nice set of snow tires. Chains are a PIA to put on and take off. You cannot drive at normal speeds and when the road clears up, you have to take them off. Too much work for not all that much gain. IMHO :mrgreen: Saturn's are front wheel drive, they fair pretty well in the snow...just take your time in the slop :2thumbs:

trackrunner
01-26-2009, 04:01 PM
So there will be a sign before I get into the canyon that reads chains required?

Yes. There are multiple flashing signs that will say chains or 4x4 required.

I drive in the snow in Cache Valley, but I never have to go over 25 mph or over 2 miles in distance. If I go skiing, someone else drives.

when it snows heavy I sometimes have to use chains even if I'm only going 2 miles

Lately I've been taking a family members Dodge Ram 1500 when it snows heavy :mrgreen:

CrazyFinn
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Thats scary to be talking about tire chains.. :naughty:

Makes me glad I moved from Minnesota.

There is a twist to this however. We live at 1500 feet elevation. Sometimes it will snow down to 3000 feet so if we drive up the mountain another 30 miles we at times would require chains. I just don't go there then. :ne_nau:

Shan
01-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Get a nice set of snow tires. Chains are a PIA to put on and take off. You cannot drive at normal speeds and when the road clears up, you have to take them off. Too much work for not all that much gain. IMHO :mrgreen: Saturn's are front wheel drive, they fair pretty well in the snow...just take your time in the slop :2thumbs:

What about studded tires? My friend said his 2WD truck probably performs worse than my Saturn, and he just puts on front studded tires during the winter.

Are those cheaper than 2 snow tires?

Can you get away with just 2 snow tires?

The goal is to not break the bank with all new snow tires here. I don't drive it enough to justify the need/cost.

I haven't figure this out yet and I have less than 2 days!

abirken
01-28-2009, 09:00 AM
I'd totally just take your car down to a local tire store to get a quote and price out your options. We have Big O tires here and once you buy their brand of tires (which are cheaper than name brand), they will take them on and off for you for free and rotate them out for free. It's worth it to me. Chains just sound like a big old pain in the rump. At least once you invest in a couple of snow tires, you can just store them once the season is over. Chances are, if you have front wheel drive and you have all season tires on right now......you should be fine getting up to the ski mountain. But then again, I have no idea what the road is like. Right now I have 4 snow tires on and I drive my front wheel drive car almost everywhere with no problems. Just know you car, drive in a low gear and don't slam on your brakes at every icy spot and you should be fine.

Win
01-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Studded tires are snow tires with metal studs installed in them. The cost would be more than just snow tires.

With the newer cars you really would need 4 snow tires. The ABS braking system would have problems with mismatched tires.

Alison has the right set up and she's going everywhere with no problems. :2thumbs:

Win

Shan
01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Hmm, people on another board said I should make the other 9 people rent me an SUV ($160/weekend) since I'm carrying their food and beer. I cannot ask for that, I've never even met 8 of these people! Plus the haus is like $1000/night already.

I plan to make a stop at Big O today.

Deathcricket
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I just wanted to point out that if you had bought my car instead of the Saturn, it already had snow chains and a snowboard rack included in the purchase price.

:roflol:

JP
01-28-2009, 02:06 PM
What about studded tires?

Are those cheaper than 2 snow tires?

Can you get away with just 2 snow tires?

The goal is to not break the bank with all new snow tires here. I don't drive it enough to justify the need/cost.

I haven't figure this out yet and I have less than 2 days!
Shan, studded snows would be a great option and all you need is two. (Four would be better, but two should do ya just fine) Just make sure they are the same size as fronts you will be taking off.

Depending on what type of snow tire you're talking...some of the snow tires run into big bucks. Studded snows shouldn't be a huge dent in your pocketbook, they're usually not all that expensive. They will be worth every penny. Just keep in mind, most States have laws on when you have to take them off. It's usually past the time the snow has stopped falling for the season. Get them taken off, put them in the garage up off the floor and you'll be all set next winter and other winters after that. :2thumbs:

Shan
01-28-2009, 08:23 PM
I appreciate all the advice - in the end I bought 4 new snow tires. They were 50% off and high end tires. So grand total was $240. Now I can take myself skiing if I want, rather than stay in the valley and bum rides up the canyon. I'm happy with that and problem is solved.

Not many places had them in stock even!

I also didn't know studded tires were studded SNOW tires and hence more pricy. I just thought like for a bicycle, you can have studs on plain tires. Der. :ne_nau:

JP
01-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I bought 4 new snow tires. They were 50% off and high end tires. So grand total was $240.
Great to hear :2thumbs: Glad it all worked out, have fun, drive safely :haha:

Win
01-29-2009, 05:10 AM
Great decision, now you'll be out looking for snowy roads.

Win