PDA

View Full Version : Are you living the Dream?

Scout Master
01-18-2009, 05:18 PM
I was looking back at some pictures and I got to thinking about how many different outdoor activities I have been into in the past few years I don't have pictures of everything I have done, but I have a few. I ask you are YOU living the dream?

abirken
01-18-2009, 05:44 PM
First off, your photos are awesome! I wouldn't expect any less from you Matty. The first time I saw photos of you hiking up Angels landing in a kilt, I knew you were a special guy. I think the reason I love Bogley so much is because so many of us on here are HERE for the same reasons. We get a certain satisfaction out of being outdoors. So many people DON'T get it and that makes me sad? But it also keeps the wide open space for all of us. HAHA!!!!! Most of us on here DO get it and I'd have to answer YES that I am living my dream. :2thumbs: :rockon:

IntrepidXJ
01-18-2009, 06:15 PM
For sure :2thumbs:

JP
01-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Martin Luther's dream :ne_nau: :roflol:

trackrunner
01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I've been dreaming about alpine touring sking in the backcountry, winter mountaineering, and white water kayaking. I haven't been living these dreams because of the not knowing the signs of the dangers (avalanch, eddies, etc), proper skills to be proficiant, and haven't found partners that are competent in these and willing to go easy on a scared noob.

But I'd say I'm living my dream. I dream about getting out more. (You'd think working for an internet company would be very progressive and give you tons of PTO, but no.)

CarpeyBiggs
01-18-2009, 08:51 PM
chillin' on a beach in thailand right now. i'd say yes... :2thumbs:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_4w95F46NIaA/SXPZ4mRqLOI/AAAAAAAAAe4/4y1vpJYw1VY/s512/Ko%20Tao-6.jpg

R
01-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Yes, I would say that I am happier than I ever thought I could be. And it's all because of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko6raqmpNI0

DiscGo
01-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Way cool guys!

If I were to make a collage showing how happy I am, it would be filled with pictures of my little boy, which even I can recognise is not as cool as Alison and ScoutMaster's pictures.

Cirrus2000
01-19-2009, 12:21 AM
If I were to make a collage showing how happy I am, it would be filled with pictures of my little boy, which even I can recognise is not as cool as Alison and ScoutMaster's pictures.

No way, man - that's incredibly cool! The happy dad? That is beautiful!

Me, I'm living the dream when I can. Much as I love my job - and I do - I sure could use more time off and extra cash to live the dream more. But for where I'm at - I figure I'm doing OK...

abirken
01-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Way cool guys!

Of course that's a wonderful dream and a very cool one!! Our children are our life lines. We do anything for them. They are little extensions of us....of course it's a wonderful dream. I guess maybe my interpretation of what Matty was saying was, are you out there living? Are you doing? Are you seeing? And my answer would be yes. :2thumbs:

blueeyes
01-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Yes, I would say that I am happier than I ever thought I could be. And it's all because of her.

How sweet!

That is the sweetest thing you could say... (sighs.. and wishes someone felt that way about me)

I need to do more outdoor stuff, I haven't been camping in two years, I have all the gear just got tired of doing all the work and hearing compliants from the kids when we got where we were going so I quit. I want to go on more hikes and picnics with them. They really are so much fun to hang out with... when they are not complaining.

I will start camping again this summer, maybe even make down to our property in Duchesne. Haven't been down there since Sarah was 3 months.

No not living the life I would like, but I am sure working on it. But I am happy.

Scout Master
01-19-2009, 07:38 AM
I guess maybe my interpretation of what Matty was saying was, are you out there living? Are you doing? Are you seeing?

Yes I was specifically talking about Outdoor recreation. But Families are even more important than playing. Love your family and take theme with you. Live your dreams.

Randi
01-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Way cool guys!

Not as cool as Alison & ScoutMaster? You kiddin me?
It's just more personal is all...closer to the heart. And yeah, you are living one very cool dream loving your kid and living the adventure of being a parent!

Of all the cool and wonderful dreams I've lived - being a mom has been the all-time coolest! Nothing will ever compare!

As far as the outdoor stuff, yeah, I'm happy with what I've done. I'd like to do more, and will....but work and stuff, ya know gets in the way...
I can't wait to retire! :mrgreen:

devo_stevo
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
You betcha...

Deathcricket
01-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Sadly no. I browse this site from my 4x4 foot cubicle and live vicariously through you guys. I'm not complaining mind you. My wife is able to stay home and raise our son. Which for our generation seems seems pretty rare. But no, lately I don't do anything except work. Having a family that appreciates me though makes it completely bearable.

Thank god for Bogley to keep me sane too!

CrazyFinn
01-19-2009, 07:13 PM
I think what appeals to me about this website is the people that get out there and do their thing. Life is waiting for you to do your part. Just step out into it.

I'm the happiest when we travel and play and meet new people. :nod:

accadacca
01-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Ahhh yeah, always trying to do my part to help make rainbows...

Scout Master
01-20-2009, 06:12 PM
accadacca you are an IDIOT

accadacca
01-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Sorry Santa. Naughty list? Not again.

How about this?

blueeyes
01-20-2009, 06:39 PM

:roflol:

Sombeech
01-20-2009, 06:47 PM

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

JP
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Ahhh yeah, always trying to do my part to help make rainbows...

Nice art work :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/img_4562.jpg

CrazyFinn
01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Someone has to add the rain! :naughty:

JP
01-20-2009, 10:42 PM
:haha:

Scout Master
01-21-2009, 03:47 AM
Sorry Santa. Naughty list? Not again.

How about this?

Well that's a little better. Just keep it clean OK

Deathcricket
01-21-2009, 07:36 AM

I hadn't even noticed that until you mentioned it. Too friggin funny.

TreeHugger
01-21-2009, 03:31 PM
How did you make those collages? They're really cool!

Sombeech
01-21-2009, 03:33 PM

I hadn't even noticed that until you mentioned it. Too friggin funny.

Just so everybody knows, that's a pose. I'm snapping the photo. He really isn't "raining" there, we just set it up because that quote on the wall was funny.

abirken
01-21-2009, 04:52 PM

Hi Tree!

I use the Picasa photo editing thingy I downloaded from Google for free. In it, you can store your photos, edit photos and make collages, etc......it's pretty cool stuff! :five:

Scout Master
01-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Photo Shop

fourtycal
01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
I ask you are YOU living the dream?

I feel like I live the dream, especially for the past several years. Great Family, Great friends and more hobbies than a guy could ever handle. Several invites to choose from each weekend :cool2:

canyonphile
01-22-2009, 09:10 AM
I was living the dream until we moved to CT. Then, that came to a grinding halt. Between crappy weather 80% of the year (IMO, anyway - I detest cold, wet weather and humidity), a bout with Lyme disease, having rain on 100% of our car camping trips, insufferable insects and uninteresting hiking (aka the Appalachian Trail), my enthusiasm for doing anything outdoors has pretty much disappeared. For someone like me who was an avid outdoors person, it really sucks. I just feel fat and lazy now.

The most memorable outdoor things we've done were hiking up Mt. Washington and Mt. Mansfield. Both are the highest peaks in their respective states (NH and VT). Woopie-friggin'-do :roll: . Then again, you'll see bumper stickers that say "this car climbed Mt. Washington". Only in New England would people admit to being so lazy and stupid enough to pay $26 to drive up a paved road to the top of a 6,288' mountain :lol8: .

Anyway, I'm just trying to hold out for the remaining 2 1/2 years of our stay here while my boyfriend completes his work obligation. Then, it's back to the west - Durango, this time. And, our resumption of the outdoor dream! :nod:

In the meantime, I have to live vicariously through the trip reports and the awesome photos people post here on Bogley. It does sometimes make me more homesick, but I just try to remind myself we *will* be coming back, even if it's not as soon as I'd like (which was yesterday).

BTW, Richard - loved the video of you and Abby :2thumbs:. Your pics always rock as well!

-SJ

abirken
01-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I was living the dream until we moved to CT. Then, that came to a grinding halt. Between crappy weather 80% of the year (IMO, anyway - I detest cold, wet weather and humidity), a bout with Lyme disease, having rain on 100% of our car camping trips, insufferable insects and uninteresting hiking (aka the Appalachian Trail), my enthusiasm for doing anything outdoors has pretty much disappeared. For someone like me who was an avid outdoors person, it really sucks. I just feel fat and lazy now.

-SJ

Girl you need to get back to the Wild West!!!! This sounds atrocious!!! There's a reason why I haven't been attracted to the East Coast and you summed it all up. COME HOME CHIC! :2thumbs:

canyonphile
01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Girl you need to get back to the Wild West!!!! This sounds atrocious!!! There's a reason why I haven't been attracted to the East Coast and you summed it all up. COME HOME CHIC! :2thumbs:
YEESSS!! Oh, believe me, sister - the moment we drive away from here for good will be one of the happiest days of my life! :nod:

I never had any desire to leave the southwest. I've always loved everything about it, and have considered it home even when I was away. We only left because: 1) the job opportunity that my boyfriend got out here, combined with my flailing career that I was looking to end anyway; 2) we were only going to be there for 4 years...what could be so bad about that, after all? Since neither of us had been to this part of the country, we thought it might be an adventure; 3) we were definitely only there for a finite time.

I was advised by several people that I'd probably not like it here and also that the people were not friendly. They were right on both accounts.

So, yeah - now I know first-hand what it feels like to hate where you live. It sux. Last Sept, we flew to Denver for a wedding, and I was so happy! We took a day drive along I-70 all the way to Glenwood Springs and back up through Aspen/Leadville and stayed in Dillon that night. Went on a hike up part of the Continental Divide trail where it crosses I-70 and it was so many levels of awesome. The aspen were in full-on-disco color and a storm had deposited snow on the northern peaks of the Rockies. I seriously did not want to come home, and was depressed for several days after we got back.

There are some people that could be happy, or at least content, living probably anywhere, and they are lucky. I am most definitely not one of them - I'm truly a product of my environment. I like dry air, rocks, dirt, lots of open space with epic spans of rock and ditches in the ground to explore. Not clausterphobic, endless forests that cover a flat landscape and look ugly and dead half of the year. We live about 1/2 mile from the coast (by virtue of Long Island Sound), but the ocean doesn't interest me that much - I don't swim anymore and there's dangerous stuff out there anyway. We bought an inflatable kayak last year and did that for maybe 5 weeks, but it was a PITA.

Like you, I was never attracted to the east coast [even though I was born in MD], and for good reason I discovered. You aren't missing anything, IMO. The things people rave about: Boston, NYC, "fall colors", etc., are over-rated. NYC is cool, but mostly because that is where the Metropolitan Museum of Art is and there are some amazing eats. I wouldn't have ever made a special trip to go there otherwise. I like Stowe, VT and North Conway, NH. Friendly people and actual outdoor-oriented towns that remind me of CO. I pretty much have no use for the tick-infested, over-priced and pretentious state of CT.

We'll have to hook up for some drinks after I blow this pop-stand for good and return to the Centennial State. And go for a hike, dammit! :five:

-SJ

Cirrus2000
01-22-2009, 02:01 PM
.... I pretty much have no use for the tick-infested, over-priced and pretentious state of CT.

Gosh. But how do you really feel? :haha:

abirken
01-22-2009, 07:03 PM
We'll have to hook up for some drinks after I blow this pop-stand for good and return to the Centennial State. And go for a hike, dammit! :five:

-SJ

Heck yes we do!! Next time you take a road trip along I-70 west, totally let me know. I'd totally go hike and drink a beer with ya. That drive over Independence Pass through Aspen over into Leadville is just GORGEOUS. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: 2 1/2 years and counting. :five: :mrgreen:

abirken
01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
.... I pretty much have no use for the tick-infested, over-priced and pretentious state of CT.

Gosh. But how do you really feel? :haha:

LOVE that she voices exactly how she feels. HEHE!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: Canyonphile just needs to get back to the West ASAP for a fix.

Joe Gardner
01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
<-- Living the dream. :2thumbs:

canyonphile
01-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Heck yes we do!! Next time you take a road trip along I-70 west, totally let me know. I'd totally go hike and drink a beer with ya. That drive over Independence Pass through Aspen over into Leadville is just GORGEOUS. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: 2 1/2 years and counting. :five: :mrgreen:
That was one of the most scenic drives I've ever been on - much beauty packed into a relatively short drive. Luckily, my boyfriend brought his camera on the trip, so we did manage to get some good pics. I didn't think to bring mine for some reason.

Cirrus2K - ha! Was it that obvious? :haha: It's actually become sort of a joke around here. Someone asks us (or me): "So, how do you like Connecticut?" Wayne just stands back and says: "Oh boy...here we go". People are probably sorry they asked :naughty: . My boss was born and raised in the area, and loves it here, so I spare her The Rant.

Funny story: some people came into our shop (I work in a bakery/cafe part-time) the other day, and clearly weren't from around the area; they didn't know what a "lobster roll" was :lol8: . Turns out, they were from CO, specifically from Dillon/Silverthorne, which was where we stayed the same night we went on our day drive through Aspen. Oddly, they didn't seem particularly impressed with CT, either, esp. the wet, heavy snow. I can't imagine why :mrgreen: .

I'm hoping to head back to southern AZ for about a week in late Feb for at least a short fix of the good life. I'm seriously afraid I won't want to come back. I do occasionally check the job listings on craigslist in both AZ and CO....just in case.

I just hope it doesn't take me too long to get back in decent shape after living at this sissy sea-level elevation for so long. I was surprised the hike up the 11K' trail/mountain we did last year didn't totally kick my ass, but it didn't. Go figure!

-Sonya

JP
01-23-2009, 08:22 AM
You just about nailed it on the head :roflol:

I was living the dream until we moved to CT. Then, that came to a grinding halt. Between crappy weather 80% of the year (IMO, anyway - I detest cold, wet weather and humidity), a bout with Lyme disease, having rain on 100% of our car camping trips, insufferable insects

I was advised by several people that I'd probably not like it here and also that the people were not friendly. They were right on both accounts.

You aren't missing anything, IMO. The things people rave about: Boston, NYC, "fall colors", etc., are over-rated. NYC is cool

I like Stowe, VT and North Conway, NH. Friendly people and actual outdoor-oriented towns that remind me of CO. I pretty much have no use for the tick-infested, over-priced and pretentious state of CT.

CrazyFinn
01-23-2009, 09:14 AM
We're not doing too bad. We rode 200 miles round trip to the Colorado river in our buggy last weekend. Their not doing that in Minnesota where I came from.

accadacca
01-23-2009, 10:02 PM
I was just trying to make rainbows but that doesn't qualify. :ne_nau:

1Aussie
01-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Well....I kind of am in the way that I am able to stay at home & do my own thing & not have to go to work with no problems, have a great time 4 wheelin' & Jeepin', have a very wonderfull hubby' & absolutely LOVE living in Moab.(it is much different here than in Utah Valley)
The downside of my life is that I have a son, his wife & my granddaughter in Australia, that I don't see very often because I moved here to marry my hubby. Life is cruel sometimes, best to just appreciate what we have & enjoy the time we have wherever we are.Like I always say "I am here for a good time,not a long time" :cheers:

Sombeech
02-04-2009, 10:18 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2177/1646296655_baad13380f_o.jpg

Wild One
02-05-2009, 08:20 AM

The most memorable outdoor things we've done were hiking up Mt. Washington and Mt. Mansfield. Both are the highest peaks in their respective states (NH and VT). Woopie-friggin'-do :roll: . Then again, you'll see bumper stickers that say "this car climbed Mt. Washington". Only in New England would people admit to being so lazy and stupid enough to pay $26 to drive up a paved road to the top of a 6,288' mountain :lol8: .

Anyway, I'm just trying to hold out for the remaining 2 1/2 years of our stay here while my boyfriend completes his work obligation. Then, it's back to the west - Durango, this time. And, our resumption of the outdoor dream! :nod:

In the meantime, I have to live vicariously through the trip reports and the awesome photos people post here on Bogley. It does sometimes make me more homesick, but I just try to remind myself we *will* be coming back, even if it's not as soon as I'd like (which was yesterday).

BTW, Richard - loved the video of you and Abby :2thumbs:. Your pics always rock as well!

-SJ

Holy crap, it's like reading something straight out of my own brain (except the part about Lyme disease, though I have had many run-ins with those nasty little tick-SOB's)!!
Seriously, anyone who thinks the East or Midwest has ANYTHING to offer is out of their minds or haven't ever experienced the WEST. I'd rather live in poverty in the west than a millionaire lifestyle in the East.
Livin the dream here??? Only in my dreams...
OK, enough complaining from me. I'll go back to trying to make due with what I've got here...

abirken
02-05-2009, 09:51 PM

You aren't in the middle of these two hot chics with your arm around each one and you aren't sporting a gold chain to match your chest hair like Ron Jeremy. I'd have to say this is not REALLY living the dream Beech???? Try again. I know you have better than this. :lol8:

Sombeech
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM

You aren't in the middle of these two hot chics with your arm around each one and you aren't sporting a gold chain to match your chest hair like Ron Jeremy. I'd have to say this is not REALLY living the dream Beech???? Try again. I know you have better than this. :lol8:

I'd fill you in, but I don't feel like moving this thread to the Rubbish Bin

blueeyes
02-06-2009, 05:12 AM

I'd fill you in, but I don't feel like moving this thread to the Rubbish Bin

:lol8:

erial
02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I was living the dream until we moved to CT. Then, that came to a grinding halt. Between crappy weather 80% of the year (IMO, anyway - I detest cold, wet weather and humidity), a bout with Lyme disease, having rain on 100% of our car camping trips, insufferable insects and uninteresting hiking (aka the Appalachian Trail), my enthusiasm for doing anything outdoors has pretty much disappeared.

I've always had fond memories of hiking the AT in Connecticut. Perhaps after enduring the rocks of Pennsylvania and the dusty roads of New York, I found the many pine-needled passages along rivers, covered bridges, and waterfalls to be re-energizing. Anyway, until we moved from Jersey to Carolina my wife and I would return to Housatonic Meadows or Macedonia Brook for camping and hiking. We'd usually take in a race at Lime Rock Park or go visit a Hudson River mansion over in New York. For more rugged fare we'd head to the Mt Riga area.

My favorite trail run which admittedly was virtually devoid of single track was to head south from Housatonic Meadows and arrive at the bakery in downtown Kent where the best scones ever can be purchased and devoured.

I did make it back to Connecticut last year. Did the Nipmuck Trail Marathon. Ah, the humidity and the humility. Just might go back for more this year.