PDA

View Full Version : Tech Tip: tying the Stone Knot

ratagonia
01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
I have added a tech tip on how to tie the Stone Knot to the Latest Rave. Comments and questions welcome.

Tom :moses:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave

chabidiah
01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I like that! Quick, easy, and simple to undo. I am always looking for tips on easier, safer ways...

Scott Card
01-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I have added a tech tip on how to tie the Stone Knot to the Latest Rave. Comments and questions welcome.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave Bless you.... :hail2thechief: Thanks.

Felicia
01-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Very nice presentation - Thank you for sharing! :2thumbs:

Tom, how do you know an anchor is ok for two people?

Cirrus2000
01-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Sweet! Heard of it, but very nicely demonstrated there. Thanks, Tom.

ratagonia
01-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Very nice presentation - Thank you for sharing! :2thumbs:

Tom, how do you know an anchor is ok for two people?

Well............................

complicated.

generally, something really good.

Hard to be more specific. Thinking more like Two New Bolts, Big Tree, Big Rock, absolutely secure chockstone or stuff like that.

T

skianddive
01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks, Tom. Much better pictures and explanation than I've seen elsewhere.

One thing to note - this knot/hitch does not have to be tied close to the anchor as shown in the pictures. We have several canyons here where the bomber anchor - a large tree - is located 30-40' up on a low slab of granite from where the rappel starts, and by tying a Stone Knot closer to the drop, we actually create an intermediate station for people to clip in to.

moab mark
01-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey Tom,
Whats your opinion on, I think it is called a stone eight? Basically feeding both strands through a eight putting a twist in the ropes and dropping the loop over the small end of the eight and then tightening.
Mark

ratagonia
01-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey Tom,
Whats your opinion on, I think it is called a stone eight? Basically feeding both strands through a eight putting a twist in the ropes and dropping the loop over the small end of the eight and then tightening.
Mark

I like knots. Knots are good because if you are using a rope, you have most of the equipment you need to tie them. Add a carabiner - I usually have some of these.

But I don't carry an Eight, and I cannot see carrying one just for blocks and contingency anchors. So, the Stone Eight might be perfectly fine, but my preference would be to spend my time and effort learning the knot that works without an extra piece of equipment.

rcwild
01-23-2009, 04:22 AM
But I don't carry an Eight, and I cannot see carrying one just for blocks and contingency anchors. So, the Stone Eight might be perfectly fine, but my preference would be to spend my time and effort learning the knot that works without an extra piece of equipment.

Knots are good. Knots are fun. Better to have skills (like tying knots) than to rely on gear. But ... there are some rigging systems that are much much simpler to rig and more efficient to use with a piece of gear. Many groups are now carrying one or two cheap figure eights ($9.95) just for rigging.

The Stone Eight is much quicker to rig than the Stone Knot, easier for most people to learn, very simple to inspect, quicker to de-rig for the last person.

Another example is comparing munter-mule to a releasable figure eight. Releasable eight is much quicker to rig, significantly easier for most peope to learn, simple to inspect, doesn't need to be de-rigged in most cases and much quicker to de-rig when necessary.

Scott Card
04-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey Tom, (yes, you are probably traveling to your slid show this evening.) What is the status with you knot book? Your presentation on this (Stone knot) and the few others was excellent.

Sorry I couldn't make it to the slide show. I have two other committments this evening or I would be there.