PDA

View Full Version : Utah produces record elk

Last Child
01-07-2009, 06:43 AM
:hail2thechief:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11380830

stefan
01-07-2009, 08:01 AM
hmm ... seems like a shame to me to kill.

accadacca
01-07-2009, 08:41 AM
OMG.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2009/0105/20090105__recordelk_0106~1_400.jpg

Deathcricket
01-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Columnists from national hunting magazines joined the fray and criticized the program that allowed Austad to bid and win a $150,000 elk conservation permit to hunt anywhere in the state for several months

150k for a permit? Could someone elaborate? So I assume this would let him get a jump start on the season and hunt way earlier than other hunters?

accadacca
01-07-2009, 08:45 AM
hmm ... seems like a shame to me to kill.
It is a shame...that he cant share and fill up my freezer.

MY T PIMP
01-07-2009, 10:10 AM
There is so much contriversy over this bull. Before this year it has never been seen, the bull has the same caracteristics of ranch raised steroid bull, and there is an ongoing ivestigation that the bull was actually shot by a Mossback guide because the permit holder couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I know this because my dad works one day a week for the fish and game and gets inside info.

Stefan, you should celebrate the fact that hunting dollars produce these giants in Utah for everyone to enjoy. This bull if it is a real wild bull or not is not the only big bull in Utah.

CarpeyBiggs
01-07-2009, 10:27 AM
the hunter couldn't hit the broadside of a barn?

this was taken by a man named Denny Austad. He held the previous world record to this one. Denny, if i recall correctly, engineers his own cartridges that he hunts with. he has harvested many trophy animals in utah.

but, the real controversy on this bull is how the mossback guides run a full military operation so the client can get his trophy. blocking off roads, diverting other hunters, and then pushing the bull towards the client for the easy kill. there was something like 14 guides on this hunt, including all the pushers, and those who were blocking access from other hunters, guaranteeing Austad got his shot.

trophy hunting at it's finest.

live2ride
01-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah I know we all enjoy the revenue that this brings to the state and helps maintain our backcountry, fisheries etc, but that would bw one hell of a site to be able to see such a large elk in all its glory cruising around in the wild...if it was wild.

Scott Card
01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah I know we all enjoy the revenue that this brings to the state and helps maintain our backcountry, fisheries etc, but that would bw one hell of a site to be able to see such a large elk in all its glory cruising around in the wild...if it was wild. Check Cabelas and it may be there in a year or so. :haha:

live2ride
01-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah I know we all enjoy the revenue that this brings to the state and helps maintain our backcountry, fisheries etc, but that would bw one hell of a site to be able to see such a large elk in all its glory cruising around in the wild...if it was wild. Check Cabelas and it may be there in a year or so. :haha:

Yeah it will still scare the shit out of me...LOL

shagster
02-24-2009, 07:36 PM
A friend of mine was following this bull trying to get to it before the mossback guys, but as we have all heard they had a crap load of scouts, pushers, and even helicopters out watching for this thing. One landowner down there was paid 20 grand just to access his property where the bull had moved. Insane, in my mind that takes away the hunting experience. I know he paid a sh__t load of money for the hunt, tag, guide, etc but come on thats not HUNTING.