PDA

View Full Version : JournalSpace.com is No More

DiscGo
01-02-2009, 01:46 PM
RAID is good for hardware failure but not for software failure without backups:

The Dangers of Casual Information Backup

JournalSpace, which has been around for almost six years now as a prominent blogger website, is done. Due to a catastrophic data loss, either due to software error or malicious intent, the website managers have lost the entire contents of the blogs stored upon it.

Date: January 2, 2009of about 100,000 among websites, and with nearly 14,000 viewers per month, JournalSpace was a relatively high-traffic website. The data loss is impossible to correct and JournalSpace is effectively destroyed.

On a technical side, what occurred is still unclear. JournalSpace maintains their server on what is known as a RAID configuration, where everything written to one hard drive is 'mirrored' to the other drive in a duplicate image. So if the main storage unit breaks down, all the data is stored on another duplicate and it's an easy enough job for an individual to simply switch over to the working drive. Most any computer can be configured for RAID with a minimum of effort.

JournalSpace had taken no other effort to back up their data other than constantly mirroring the drives. The damage that occurred then was not physical, but rather based in software. Whether due to a catastrophic operating system failure (OS X) or malicious intent, the contents of both drives have been completely overwritten. Akin to reformatting your hard drive, this means that the data is completely irretrievable.

JournalSpace.com is intending to sell their domain name and trademarks, and an enterprising investor may find this a good time to grab a valuable piece of electronic real estate. But for a large part of the blogging community, it is the end of a six-year voyage, and one that could have been easily avoided by the correct procedures for data storage and retrieval.

Original Article:

http://journalspace.com/this_is_the_way_the_world_ends /not_with_a_bang_but_a_whimper.html 2 Jan 09

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1355618/journalspace_is_no_more.html

DiscGo
01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't blog but if I did, I would not want to be with Journalspace.com. In the end I feel bad for people who don't know how to backup their data and run the technical side of their company.

I forget the stat, but it is something like 90% of all businesses fail within 6 months of total data loss.

R
01-02-2009, 02:12 PM
I back up my blogs all the time, but this certainly is a reminder of why. I'm big into optical media too - I've yet to have a CD die on me, and I always burn two just in case.

Joe Gardner
01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Wow, that sucks for them!

At one point I was running BikeForums.net on two servers with a total of 9 HD's (5 in back, 4 in front, Rail 10). I was replacing two or three HD's a year.

The closest I came to a a catastrophic data loss was when the mysql db went bad during routine maintenance. After a few hours of attempting to repair the tables, we decided to give up, and go back the previous days backup, it was only then that we noticed the backup script was copying every table but the post table. Big problem! Two million posts, gone. After a bit of stress we found a good backup. It was two weeks old, but it was solid. I ended up losing a few hundred new members and a few thousand posts, but the site was back up within a few days.

Lesson learned: test your backups and never trust that your scripts are correct. Had we not found that one good backup, BikeForums would have lost 7 years of history and I would probably be working and McD's right now!

Redundancy is always a good thing. :nod:

DiscGo
01-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah the first time I did an Operating System Reinstallation, I did not realize that not just my primary drive but all connected drives would be reformatted. I lost all of my data off of my external harddrives including all of my pictures. I now have all of my pictures backed up in multiple locations to prevent such a problem again for me. The company for which I work used to be part of a local collocation company (TierFour) and so we do a lot of work with data back up.

theking648
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
EPIC FAIL!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/TX1138/epic_fail.jpg

""""" operating system (OS X Server, in case you're interested) """""

they should have been running a good secure linux with Raid 5+1

also don't fire smart computer geek #1 without have a smarter computer geek #2 so geek. #2 can protect from Geek #1 trying to send them back to the stone age.

and with 14,000 viewers a month you better be backing up on another system every day

when i read "OS X Server" i couldn't stop laughing
i know it's running UNIX but I could never trust the security of MAC.

what idiots...

also I think the guy they fired did it.

I would start up agian with a new name without letting people know that it was JS