PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Buzz Movies: Who has seen what?

James_B_Wads2000
01-02-2009, 10:32 AM
This is the best time of the year for movies. The studios rushed to get them limited released in December and now many of them are now trickling to SLC and smaller markets.

I have been watching a bunch lately. Here is what I have seen that has Oscar buzz in no particular order:

[i]Rachel Getting Married
Changeling
Milk
Doubt
Slumdog Millionaire
The Reader
Vicky Christina Barcelona
Burn After Reading
The Dark Knight
The Wrestler
Ch

Deathcricket
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Hmmm I haven't seen any of those movies except "burn after reading" which I hated with a passion. Well I loved Brad Pitts char, but geeze. Although the audience in WI I was watching it with seemed to think it was amazing. Come to think of it, I'm not much of an Oscars type of guy, why am I posting in this thread? Oh yeah, bored at work today, lol.

Also, don't go see Spirit. It's nothing like Sin City or 300 (which are my 2 favorite movies). It's ok, but more rental than a $7 experience IMO.

/Out

Edit: Saw the Dark Knight, woohoo! That's one of my favorite movies of this year, so that would get my vote!!!! And not because Heath died, but because he was "that" good. He recreated the "comic version" of the joker very faithfully and added the "darting tongue" that made him even creepier. I felt like I was reading "the killing joke" comic the whole movie. So there ya go, that's my vote.

DiscGo
01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I have not seen hardly any of these movies, but I can tell you that once the Academy Awards snubbed "LoneStar State of Mind" a couple of years ago, I knew that we were going different directions with our artistic views.

Iceaxe
01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Milk - Great movie. Must see for everyone. If nothing else it might help you understand the fight for gay rights a little better.

The Dark Knight - Awesome flick, and I'm not a batman fan. Heath Ledger will probably win best actor with his joker.... it's a great preformance and the sympathy vote will kick him over the top.

The Wrestler - Good story, moves a little slow. I had heard good things about this flick so I was very interested to watch it. You probably have to be in the right mode for this one. Or maybe it's just that I have been around several over the hill professional athlete still trying to make some coin and can relate.

Frost/Nixion - Great flick, Frank Langella played a great Nixon.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - it was a fun movie but I just couldn't help but think "Forrest Gump with old people"..... or maybe what forrest Gump would look like if I watched it backwards.

Wall-E - The kids loved it....

:cool2:

abirken
01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I REALLY want to see-

The Curious Case of Benajamin Button (It's obvious....Brad)

Che' 1 and 2 - Benicio Del Toro is the bomb, who could ever forget Fear and Loathing!!?? He's had a little dry spell. Hope Che is everything it's built up to be and can't wait to see it.

:2thumbs:

PS Micky Rourke has mangled his face. So sad. WTF? :ne_nau:

James_B_Wads2000
01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
I guess I should clarify. This is a list of movies that has received at least one nomination for a Golden Globe in the categories of: Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Film, Best Director and Best Screenplay in both drama and comedy.

Find the complete list: here. (http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/index.html)

I personally don

Iceaxe
01-19-2009, 03:53 PM
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - it was a fun movie but I just couldn't help but think "Forrest Gump with old people"..... or maybe what forrest Gump would look like if I watched it backwards.

Guess I wasn't the only one who saw Benjamin Button and thought Forrest Gump.... :popcorn:

:lol8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh3fdylgU2w

catch22
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Apparently everyone is making the Benjamin Button/Forest Gump connection because I was thinking that through the whole movie as well(probably not a good sign for a movie when you are thinking about how much better a similar movie is while you watch it). Really enjoyed the first half and thought it went downhill after that. Seemed like that relationship was a little forced. I also can't be the only one out there wondering why Benjamin didn't end up being a adult sized infant at the end if he started out as an infant sized old man?

skianddive
01-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Just watched it tonight when it came to the top of my backup copy queue, but Tropic Thunder gets my nod for its two Best Supporting Actor nominations.

And the winner goes to....... :popcorn:

Tom Cruise portraying Les Grossman:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-4u3bqRLaSME/les_grossman_complete_video/ (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-4u3bqRLaSME/les_grossman_complete_video/)

The movie was hilarious from start to finish. Loved the spoof movie previews at the beginning to set the mood for the rest of it, but I shouldn't have been eating dinner during the first part of the movie and the disembowelment scene.

Watch at your own risk - beware of spitting up food and drink while viewing it!

James_B_Wads2000
01-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Here are the nominations for the Oscars this year. Full list here: http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

Best Picture:
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,"
"Frost/Nixon,"
"Milk,"
"The Reader,"
"Slumdog Millionaire."

Actor:
Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"
Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"
Sean Penn, "Milk"
Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler."

Actress:
Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"
Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"
Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"
Meryl Streep, "Doubt"
Kate Winslet, "The Reader."

Supporting Actor:
Josh Brolin, "Milk"
Robert Downey Jr., "Tropic Thunder"
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Doubt"
Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
Michael Shannon, "Revolutionary Road."

Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams, "Doubt"
Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Viola Davis, "Doubt"
Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler."

Director:
David Fincher, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"
Gus Van Sant, "Milk"
Stephen Daldry, "The Reader"
Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire

James

James_B_Wads2000
01-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Here are my predictions

Who I think will win
I have not seen yet
*** Golden Globe Winner

Best Picture:
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,"
"Frost/Nixon,"
"Milk,"
"The Reader,"
***"Slumdog Millionaire."

Actor:
Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"
Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"
Sean Penn, "Milk"
Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
***Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler."

Actress:
Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"
Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"
Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"
Meryl Streep, "Doubt"
Kate Winslet, "The Reader."
***(Kate Winslet, "Revolutionary Road.")

Supporting Actor:
Josh Brolin, "Milk"
Robert Downey Jr., "Tropic Thunder"
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Doubt"
***Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
Michael Shannon, "Revolutionary Road."

Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams, "Doubt"
Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Viola Davis, "Doubt"
Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler."
***(Kate Winslet, "The Reader.")

Director:
David Fincher, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"
Gus Van Sant, "Milk"
Stephen Daldry, "The Reader"
***Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire

James

hank moon
01-22-2009, 12:42 PM
And the winner goes to....... :popcorn:

Tom Cruise portraying Les Grossman:

The movie was pretty uneven, but I totally agree that Tom Cruise RULED as that character. I didn't realize it was him until about halfway through the movie...

TreeHugger
01-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Slumdog Millionare is an AMAZING film. Truly amazing; the kind of film that you walk out of and sigh, and cant talk about it for minutes as you continue to absorb. I think this director should win hands down and probably for best film, too. (The only others I've seen were Burn after Reading (horrible, except for Pitt - he was great) and Dark Knight (OK, predictable and long, but very well done - Heath Ledger should win, but not best picture).

KapitanSparrow
01-23-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree, Slumdog is a very good movie :2thumbs:

abirken
01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Slumdog is on my list for sure. I've heard nothing BUT fabulous things about it. I just got back from watching The Reader. WOW is all I have to say. I loved it!!!!!! I was a little worried in the first half because it moved a little slow and I was waiting for the story to develop. Lots of nakedness, etc....which kept me attentive. hehe! But about the halfway mark is when it started to take off. Not to give the story away, but her first package she received in prison sent me OVER. My girlfriend and I were sobbing!!! Loved it and I would recommend it to everyone. :2thumbs: :nod:

TreeHugger
01-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Slumdog is on my list for sure. I've heard nothing BUT fabulous things about it. I just got back from watching The Reader. WOW is all I have to say. I loved it!!!!!! I was a little worried in the first half because it moved a little slow and I was waiting for the story to develop. Lots of nakedness, etc....which kept me attentive. hehe! But about the halfway mark is when it started to take off. Not to give the story away, but her first package she received in prison sent me OVER. My girlfriend and I were sobbing!!! Loved it and I would recommend it to everyone. :2thumbs: :nod:

I"m glad to hear you liked it because it didnt get very good reviews (mainly saying it was slow, etc.). I do want to see it - I read the book and would like to see how they portray it in film.

Definitely, GO SEE Slumdog Millionaire. It's amazing.

Iceaxe
02-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Oscar winners apparently leaked.....

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...011000,00.html

:cool2:

Iceaxe
02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Complete list of winners at the 81st annual Oscars
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Associated Press