PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing "stuck in the mud" story

Deathcricket
12-26-2008, 11:29 AM
So anyways, my relatives come out to visit for christmas and it's raining up a storm. I suggest I take my cousins out for a little muddy fun. I know a couple great spots out here in STG. I actually had went the day before and knew the area quite well, so never mind that it's 9PM and pitch black dark, snowing, slushy rain. "It will be fun!" I dare say. So we get about a mile or 2 out just before the "good stuff" and I'm going around a corner and hit a patch of this grey looking clay. It's slick as snot and I start start drifting off the road. You can see the it's a pretty decent slant in the pic "climbing up". Crap I keep sliding down the hill towards this 6 foot ravine. No problem I'll just back up and we can go another way. Crap, I cant get back on the road, and each time I try to go forwards or backwards, my progress sliding down the hill accelerates.

So after trying both forwards and backwards a couple times. I decide to give up before I fall of the edge. Clay dries out pretty quick and I'll just come back when it's not raining and get er out. So we walk just under 2 miles to get back home in the rain and mud in the middle of the night. With me apologizing the whole way and feeling like a dumbass, hehe.

The very next day at the crack of noon. I call my dad and cousin to help me out. My dads truck can't get out to the spot. It's a chevy silverado but made for hauling his toys around, not driving through a couple inches of mud. We get pretty close though and walk the rest of the way with shovels in hand. It's still pretty muddy, but in the day light we can see this patch of slick gray mud is only about 20-30 feet long. And if I can get even one tire on that red clay I'll be able to get out. If not, I'll have to wait another day for it to dry out more. So we try the forwards and backwards a couple times with no luck. This stiff is totally slippery and our shoes are covered with it. We eventually decide that backwards is the only way I will get out. It's a lot easier to see this in the day time btw. But my truck doesnt have enough clearance to get over the small ravine. My bumper keeps hitting this bush out the way out. And my exhaust is generating impressive smoke when hitting this bush too, hehe.

So we bust out the shovels and fill in the ravine with dirt rocks and the bush. I felt bad killing a bush, but would have felt worse calling some expensive tow truck company to rescue me. We get the ravine filled in and I'm able to back out. YAY! I go back the way we came and call it a christmas eve day.

So anyways, super embarrassing getting stuck in the mud. When I tell people I get stuck they always ask how many inches of mud and laugh when I tell them "maybe 2 or 3" but it really was more being trapped and falling in the ravine, hehe. Not so much getting stuck I guess.

Anyways, thought it was funny and would share my embarassment with ya guys.

offpiste
12-26-2008, 04:57 PM
that drop would have done some damage. Good to see you made it out unscathed. Gray clay = booger snot slick :nod:

accadacca
12-26-2008, 10:25 PM
VICTORY! :lol8: Gotta love those oh sh*t moments. Been there done that.

DiscGo
12-27-2008, 05:27 AM
I don't see what you find embarrassing about that story. Those kinds of stories end up being the best when everything turns out alright. If you found this embarrassing, you would not do well with the many failures I have had in the quest of a good time.

Nobody in my family can be around me and hear about a vehicle being stuck with out sharing their favorite "Dan got me stuck" story, or "Dan almost got me killed story".

JP
12-27-2008, 10:45 AM
As your spinning your tires attempting to go forwards, the two guys in the back should have pushed the rear around, letting you face the ditch square. Then easy over the edge and just as your front came down, gas it and turn right just before you hit the wall on the opposite side. Remember, no brakes, all gas at this point :haha: Then drive out of the ditch :lol8:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/backingup.jpg

fourtycal
12-27-2008, 08:58 PM
As your spinning your tires attempting to go forwards, the two guys in the back should have pushed the rear around, letting you face the ditch square. Then easy over the edge and just as your front came down, gas it and turn right just before you hit the wall on the opposite side. Remember, no brakes, all gas at this point :haha: Then drive out of the ditch :lol8:

:roflol: :five:

Deathcricket
12-28-2008, 09:20 AM

:roflol:

Except that ravine led to a nice muddy lake. Assuming my truck could survive the 6-7 foot fall and even fit in there. HAHAHA.

I don't see what you find embarrassing about that story. Those kinds of stories end up being the best when everything turns out alright. If you found this embarrassing, you would not do well with the many failures I have had in the quest of a good time.

Nobody in my family can be around me and hear about a vehicle being stuck with out sharing their favorite "Dan got me stuck" story, or "Dan almost got me killed story".

If it was just me and I had to walk back home, no biggie. But getting stuck in front of the relatives was really the worst part. I was hoping to take a couple hills and scare the bejeezus out of them but instead we have a nice walk in mud and rain. Hehe

You are right about one thing though. I'm sure I'll hear about it next time. "instead of driving out there, shouldnt we just walk to save time?" was already mentioned when I took them to the bloomington caves next day.
:roflol:

VICTORY! Gotta love those oh sh*t moments. Been there done that.

I forgot to mention, the worst "oh S@$%" moment was when I first started sliding. I was going about 10 miles an hour and almost slid into a big rock! You can see it in a couple of the pics. But then having that ravine creep up on me as I futily tried to spin my wheels was just frustrating.

Don't get me wrong though I still had a good time, always do.
:2thumbs:

that drop would have done some damage. Good to see you made it out unscathed. Gray clay = booger snot slick :nod:
Tks man!

JP
12-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Assuming my truck could survive the 6-7 foot fall
Sure it could, they all do well :roflol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/P1010064-3.jpg

Here is the top view of that drop :haha:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/670634d9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/a6eeda91.jpg