PDA

View Full Version : I got a GoPro HERO helmet cam for christmas!

greyhair biker
12-25-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.goprocamera.com/index8.htm

very cool indeed! Soon as I figure out how it works I'll get some video going! :2thumbs:

Sombeech
12-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Sweet! Let me know what kind of editing software you have. It's all about getting the high quality link on youtube. :mrgreen:

greyhair biker
12-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Sweet! Let me know what kind of editing software you have. It's all about getting the high quality link on youtube. :mrgreen:

I don't know jack about editing software...does that tell you what I have? What do I need? fill me in doc. :ne_nau:

Sombeech
12-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, everybody's gonna say Premier is the best out there... and it probably is. But if you don't have a spare 6 months to figure it out, like me, you'll stick with some of the basics.

It will first of all depend on the file format those cameras record in, and they may even come with their own editing software.

Do you know what format? I'm guessing MPEG-4 or just AVI

greyhair biker
12-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Well as far as I can tell it's as easy to upload as my camera. I can't tell what format it uses...paperwork doesn't say, but it is compatible with both windows xp and vista and Mac OS 9.1 - shoots TV resolution 30fps video with sound and 5MGP still shots. It will take 56 min video on it's highest capacity, continuous still shots every two to five seconds, or triple shot sequences. It takes a 2 GB SD card and is housed in a waterproof case good to a 100' depth.....and runs off 2 AAA lithium batteries.
I know none of that really tells you what you need but it tells me that even I can run it. :haha:

Sombeech
12-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Does it come with software? Although you won't really need it, some of these cameras like to come with their own editing software.

You may not know until you get some film to your PC and see the extension.

Once you do, send me like a 2 minute clip or something, raw. I'd like to check it out.

greyhair biker
12-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I'll have to send you something when I get it up. It doesnt come with software...it's just a basic plugnplay device. If I have any trouble with it I'll pick your brain. it's the smallest damn camera Ive ever seen! Maybe if you check the website out you can get more info than I did. Looks pretty easy to use.

theking648
12-26-2008, 01:18 PM
that is probably the best video that i've seen... all the other ones i've seen look like crap mostly from bouncing. it will knock the picture up and down.

like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNftNtqicD4

greyhair biker
12-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, everybody's gonna say Premier is the best out there... and it probably is. But if you don't have a spare 6 months to figure it out, like me, you'll stick with some of the basics.

It will first of all depend on the file format those cameras record in, and they may even come with their own editing software.

Do you know what format? I'm guessing MPEG-4 or just AVI

Ok. been playing with it and it's in AVI format. I have a short clip I can send you. just PM me where.

Sombeech
12-26-2008, 09:29 PM
that is probably the best video that i've seen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNftNtqicD4

Exactly, the main point is getting that "watch in high quality" link at the bottom of the youtube player. It's all in how you save the vid, in DivX form, or H264.

So while you've got the camera that will give you that AVI quality, now it's up to the video editing software to produce it in those formats. I can hook you up if you are in need. :cool2:

Greyhair... how big is the clip? if it's under 10 MB, just send it to sombeech@bogley.com

Last Child
12-27-2008, 10:44 AM
This is a pretty fun camera. So tiny. I have the old 3 meg one. The only things I don't like about it are...

1. You can't view the video on the camera so getting it pointed at the right height can be tricky.

And...

2. No video stabilization. So if your helmet isn't on tight your video will be bouncy. I tried it on the handlebar but wow, gave me a headache watching it.

But for the price and with all the mounts it comes with it is a great deal. It takes pretty decent pics and vid. The 5 meg is probably much better than the one I have.

I think you will have much fun with the tiny new toy. I really like mine. I'm not much of a camera/video person but I have enjoyed this camera. It is so easy to use.

I only have Windows MovieMaker and I don't think it gives you a real high quality save option. But it is very easy to use.

Have fun! Can't wait to see some vids. :2thumbs:

CarpeyBiggs
12-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Awesome. I've never heard of it before, but it has a SUPER wide angle lens. Rad. Hope it works out well.

It looks like it only does 525 pixels wide though. Bummer.

http://vimeo.com/2181218

greyhair biker
12-27-2008, 03:29 PM
The 'short' clip I took is 51MB so I'll have to do another one or figure out how to cut this one down. I stuck it to the dashboard of my jeep and drove around with it but it's much too long...that, and I already deleted it so when I get the chance I'll do another.
...and, it takes great video from the dashboard...nice wide angle lens, and very stable. It'll be nice taking it rock crawling :2thumbs:

I just walked around outside with it on my head. Cool vid. still too big. no idea what I'm doing - cool stuff though. :haha:

greyhair biker
12-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Ok Justin, I just uploaded the video to my YouTube page. check it out.

Sombeech
12-27-2008, 10:25 PM

What's your page again?

greyhair biker
12-28-2008, 01:07 PM

What's your page again?
here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNIWzPxMHAQ

Sombeech
12-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Cool, you're getting the high quality link. :2thumbs:

Looks good man.

greyhair biker
01-03-2009, 03:13 PM
I just went out this afternoon on my bike and putted around with the helmet cam. uploading to youtube as we speak.

chromehead58
01-06-2009, 12:04 PM
i got one last christmas..and love it..have had a blast with it mtn biking and the wave runners..case is water tight. soombeech..maybe you can give lesons so greyhair and i can learn to use these..i just record..download to my computer...and watch in the winter when i get stir crazy.

live2ride
01-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Sweet man! Can't wait to see it on that local trail you've been building, did you end up calling it chutes and ladders or am I just crazy? oh well, i am sure you will get a ton of use out of it, i am thinking I want to try my hand at it too????

greyhair biker
01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Sweet man! Can't wait to see it on that local trail you've been building, did you end up calling it chutes and ladders or am I just crazy? oh well, i am sure you will get a ton of use out of it, i am thinking I want to try my hand at it too????

The club hasn't settled on a name yet but chutes & ladders is on the list :nod: . I can't wait to get out on the new trails with the camera but so far we need to wait for them to dry out - or just hit em in the snow :ne_nau:

Also, I'm still trying to figure out how to upload an edited video to youtube. I am using windows movie maker and it edits quite well. I cut the video down to about 5 min. and added a music clip & opening credits but the finished product doesn't want to upload to youtube. Any suggestions 'beech?

Joe Gardner
01-06-2009, 09:57 PM
What is your final video saved as? How big is the file? Any error messages from YouTube?

I want to wire up two helmet cameras to one helmet. One facing forward, and one facing backwards. I think it would provide a really cool effect.

Last Child
01-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Also, I'm still trying to figure out how to upload an edited video to youtube. I am using windows movie maker and it edits quite well. I cut the video down to about 5 min. and added a music clip & opening credits but the finished product doesn't want to upload to youtube. Any suggestions 'beech?

Could it be because it has music? I think beech said the other day the youtube is banning copyrighted music? I only have two on there. One with music and one without. Both done before the "ban". I did get an email from youtube saying that my video had copyrighted music but that the copyright holder didn't care and it could stay. Maybe now they don't even allow the download?

Pretty fun little camera. I'm thinking about upgrading from the 3 meg to the 5 meg like you have. :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Youtube error message is failed to convert to uploadable file.
the file shows as .MSWMM ( windows movie maker project file). still trying to figure it out.

Udink
01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
the file shows as .MSWMM ( windows movie maker project file). still trying to figure it out.
Ahh, it sounds like when you're finished editing your movie, you need to go to the File menu and click Save Movie File. It will then compile your edited video(s), titles, credits, transitions, etc., into a single movie file. When it's done with that, then upload the resulting file. :nod:

Last Child
01-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Ahh, it sounds like when you're finished editing your movie, you need to go to the File menu and click Save Movie File. It will then compile your edited video(s), titles, credits, transitions, etc., into a single movie file. When it's done with that, then upload the resulting file. :nod:

Yep, I agree. There are many options of file types and quality that you can save it too. The mswmm file is specific to Windows MovieMaker.

Sombeech
01-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Yeah, you saved the movie project instead of producing the actual movie. This is a common issue with Windows Movie Maker, it gets confusing. Other programs call it "producing" the movie to clarify it more.

So open up your same project, and go to "Save movie file". Then you'll go through the production steps. Just stick with the recommended settings for now until you get the hang of it.

I get this question almost weekly from teachers saving movie files. Another big giveaway is the filesize of the project, which will be usually under 1 MB, compared to the actual finished video.

...and one final note, the Project just saves where your clips were on the timeline, the transitions you used on certain clips, titles and that stuff.

Your video will be produced in a .wmv format

CrazyFinn
01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Here's a video using the Go Pro camera. It's a local guy here and he shot it over new years out at Glamis sand dunes in So California. This was his first video.

He mounted it to the hood of his sand car with the suction cup. The video looks pretty good in hhi def mode for a $180 camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kccWuoaMmuc

I don't have any other info on it.

greyhair biker
01-13-2009, 07:32 PM
ALrighty then...here's a link to the lastest video. I cut it down from the original - quite a bit. 25 min. down to 9:58.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSX8Z49M_DE

...also, I noticed the 'end' of the video is too much standing around but unbenownced to me AND the ones in the video they probably should have peeded around the corner :haha:

CrazyFinn
01-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Good work. You sure ride some hairy trails. I'm also an old bike rider but I rode on the beach and had interesting scenery....

You sure got guts to ride those trails! :nod:

Last Child
01-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Fun Stuff! :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
01-14-2009, 08:21 PM
:nod: wow - that camera mounted to the hood of the sandbuggy is awesome! I don't know that I'll be as addicted to shooting footage as Sombeech but I can try :haha:

greyhair biker
01-21-2009, 08:22 PM
One of the latest installments of trail vids on my youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ6LomZls4s

greyhair biker
02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
My order came in. I have a few of these in stock now. More to come. :nod:

Kent K25
02-11-2009, 10:16 AM

This is the new wide angle version?

If so, price?

greyhair biker
02-11-2009, 12:05 PM

This is the new wide angle version?

If so, price?
yes it's the new one - 170deg wide angle lens. MSRP $189

live2ride
02-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Pretty cool wade, cant wait to see some of theose green river trails from your noggins point of view!!!

greyhair biker
02-14-2009, 11:27 PM

Kent K25
02-15-2009, 08:26 AM
...gotta wait til I get some funds again...