PDA

View Full Version : Bogley Bowl Pick'em 2008-09

Iceaxe
12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
This is for giggles and is free to join....

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/bowl/register/joingroup

enter the GROUP NUMBER: 49476
password: bogley

get crackin' bitchez.

:popcorn:

rockgremlin
12-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Just signed up

DiscGo
12-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm in.

I think Texas is going to smoke Ohio State, but I couldn't bring myself to not pick OSU.

Iceaxe
12-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I picked Utah to win.... but that game was near the bottom of my confidence ranking. I hate betting against a team I'm cheering for.

After the Sugar bowl I think the game I most want to see is TCU vs Boise State, that should be a barn burner.

DiscGo
12-19-2008, 01:26 PM
After the Sugar bowl I think the game I most want to see is TCU vs Boise State, that should be a barn burner.

I doubt it. I think that BSU will win easily but I guess we'll see.

accadacca
12-19-2008, 01:40 PM

I'll take the horned frogs. They have a really good defense and if they shut down the BSU offense it might be over quickly. I don't think the BSU defense will stop TCU's speed. BSU has also had a cupcake schedule if you ask me. They only had one quality win over Oregon. TCU's only loses came to Utah and Oklahoma.

DiscGo
12-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't think that BSU has had any less of a cup cake schedule than TCU. Who have they played?

trackrunner
12-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Who have they played?

Exactly who has BSU played? :ne_nau: The WAC and the Ducks.

Cup cake schedule for TCU :ne_nau:
TCU played 3 teams that were ranked in the top 10 at game time. TCU's only two losses were against teams going to a BCS bowl game.

I think TCU takes it. This was a coupe for the poinsettia bowl. TCU gets passed up by third place MWC team in Las Vegas and they end up playing what should be one of the great games this season.

Iceaxe
12-19-2008, 04:38 PM

Wow.... I'll take TCU. Their two loses are Oklahoma and Utah. TCU has so much speed.

DiscGo
12-19-2008, 05:18 PM
So am I the only person who believes that BSU will win? I don't think TCU has any real talent over BSU and I think that Petersen is one of the best coaches in College Football. So I say BSU wins.

Brewhaha
12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm in. I'm going to go ahead and spot all of you the Navy/Wake game to make it even.

:a: :a: :a: :a: :a: :a: :a: :a:

Reedus
12-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm with Disgo on BSU. Nothing like raw anger for motivation over being ousted from a BCS bowl. TCU is going to get a handful

Iceaxe
12-20-2008, 11:33 AM
So am I the only person who believes that BSU will win?

I didn't say that.... I'll give TCU a slight edge in the game. But as I said up front, this is one of the games I'm most interested in as it should be a real barn burner....

The Problem with Boise is its hard to tell how good they really are with the schedule they played. This is a tough call for me because I usually cheer for Boise but I also want to see the MWC do well.

Yeah baby.... first bowl just finished.... first win.... :2thumbs:

DiscGo
12-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Boise State is undefeated and they have at least defeated a ranked team. TCU's big win of the year was over BYU who only defeated two teams with winning records. I still strongly believe that BSU will win that game.

rockgremlin
12-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Boise State is undefeated and they have at least defeated a ranked team. TCU's big win of the year was over BYU who only defeated two teams with winning records. I still strongly believe that BSU will win that game.

Yes but......who did BSU PLAY? A bunch of nobodies from the WAC. So what. Most high school teams could compete with the WAC.

Iceaxe
12-20-2008, 03:49 PM
So what. Most high school teams could compete with the WAC.

:lol8: Now you sound just like the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 supporters when they talk about the MWC. :nono:

Going undefeated in anything is so dang hard.... I have a lot of respect for that. The WAC has some good football programs, it's just their bottom feeders or so dang bad. That is one thing the MWC has really worked on and that's improving their bottom feeders.

I'm just excited for Tuesday Night when this gets settled on the turf. :popcorn:

Now it's nearly time to go watch BYU.... this is anther tough call for me.... I hate BYU (as any true Ute fan does).... but a win by BYU would really help cap a MWC beat down of the PAC 10 this year.

Not sure who I'll cheer for.... FWIW: I did bet on BYU.

DiscGo
12-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes but......who did BSU PLAY? A bunch of nobodies from the WAC. So what. Most high school teams could compete with the WAC.

BSU beat #17 Oregon State, and they beat most of their opponents pretty soundly. Not that their schedule was "that" tough, but the only team the TCU really beat this year was BYU and BYU barely beat Washington (one of the worst teams in the league) by 1 point.

What is it about College Football that makes us so passionate. My brother who is a big BYU fan hung up on me earlier for making the same point :haha:.

shlingdawg
12-20-2008, 06:34 PM
BSU beat #17 Oregon State

Correction. They beat Oregon, not Oregon State. Utah beat Oregon State, who beat USC. But in the end, the Ducks beat the Beavers during the last game of the season.

I think BSU will hand it to TCU.

DiscGo
12-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, sorry about the Oregon State error. I meant to say #17 Oregon.

rockgremlin
12-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Yet another fine showing by BYU...way to represent. Stupid Cougars -- I just lost a mess of points in our Bowl Picks.

:frustrated:

DiscGo
12-21-2008, 06:46 AM
I also lost a bunch of points. I watched the game at a party with a bunch of people I didn't know who kept going on about how BYU is the best team in the country and the refs are fixing the game, etc.

No offense to anyone here who is a big BYU fan, but I would like BYU a lot more if it weren't for the majority of their fans with whom I come in contact. Anyway between losing points and having to hear all that talk about how awesome BYU is, that was not a good game for me.

DiscGo
12-21-2008, 07:23 AM
A bunch of nobodies from the WAC. So what. Most high school teams could compete with the WAC.

I mostly agree with what you are saying here, but the irony is someone from the Mountain West looking down on the WAC. Neither are super tough conferences.

I would say however that both conferences can look down on the Sun Belt conference.

accadacca
12-21-2008, 10:20 AM
No offense to anyone here who is a big BYU fan, but I would like BYU a lot more if it weren't for the majority of their fans with whom I come in contact. Anyway between losing points and having to hear all that talk about how awesome BYU is, that was not a good game for me.
Ditto.

Read this off a Cougar forum:

As an avid Coug fan, I fully expect this team to be in the running next year for a national title! What do you guys think?

accadacca
12-21-2008, 10:21 AM
I should have picked Arizona. Once I found out that they had a good passing attack I should have known that they would burn BYU's secondary. Max Hall also really struggled. I think most teams have figured out BYU's schemes. They are way too one dimensional. They better find some more weapons/looks to mix into their offense next year or they will have a similar result.

Scott Card
12-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Ditto.

Read this off a Cougar forum:

As an avid Coug fan, I fully expect this team to be in the running next year for a national title! What do you guys think? Some of us are realists. Ever since the Washington game the defense was suspect. I told those I know that someone was going to figure it out and it would probably get ugly. TCU anyone? Anyway, the basketball loss to ASU was more painful than the football loss for me. :frustrated:

Iceaxe
12-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I would say however that both conferences can look down on the Sun Belt conference.

And at least look sideways at the Big East and ACC......

DiscGo
12-22-2008, 11:37 AM
agreed

DiscGo
12-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Man, I'm in last place :)

DiscGo
12-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Ok. I admit I was wrong. I really did think BSU was better. TCU did great!

rockgremlin
12-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Whew!! BSU gave TCU all they could handle...but it wasn't quite enough. Great game!! It was everything I thought it would be -- a defensive struggle to the end.

I think BSU needs to upgrade to the MWC.

accadacca
12-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Great game! However, BSU did score 10 points on two TCU turnovers. If TCU's QB is a little smarter with the ball BSU would of only had two field goals.

At the end of the day its another win for the MTN West. Too bad BYU stayed home...

DiscGo
12-24-2008, 04:25 AM

Who knows if it is true, but the rumors are the BSU might actually join the MWC.

trackrunner
12-24-2008, 07:41 AM

Who knows if it is true, but the rumors are the BSU might actually join the MWC.

BSU has asked to join in the past but I don't think Air Force, Wyoming, etc would like the MWC to expand too much. I think the Y, U, TCU would love some competition to build the conference. 4 powerhouse teams like that, would be beter than the Big East & ACC just about every year. Invite USC to join to then we would have 12 teams and could have a playoff.

Iceaxe
12-24-2008, 08:48 AM

BSU would love to be in the MWC and has asked to join several times. I don't know if most of you remember this.... but TCU was a late addition to the MWC. At the time TCU was added both Boise and TCU asked to be included..... the MWC debate for a while on who to add, one, or both, or who. TCU won out in the end because their football tradition was so strong. At one time TCU was a member of the Southwest conference (which at the time was on par with any current BCS conference). When the SWC broke up TCU and SMU were the odd man out in the musical chairs that followed.

:cool2:

Iceaxe
12-24-2008, 08:59 AM
but I don't think Air Force, Wyoming, etc would like the MWC to expand too much.

You might want to check out Air Forces record. They tradtionally have a winning record, and go bowling, they tradtionally play a pretty tough non-conforence schedule (this year was more the exception). Air Force has been ranked as high as #2 nationally (1985) and is often a top 25 team. They have a great bowl record at 8-9-1.

I don't think Air Force is afraid of anyone....

Invite USC to join to then we would have 12 teams and could have a playoff.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Your kidding... right????

A more likely situation would be for the Pac 10 to expand to 12 teams and swallow up Utah and BYU. There has been talk of it in the past along with actual discussions. I do know that BYU and Utah have told the PAC 10 they are a set and would only be interested if they both swapped conferences together.

DiscGo
12-24-2008, 09:19 AM
A more likely situation would be for the Pac 10 to expand to 12 teams and swallow up Utah and BYU. There has been talk of it in the past along with actual discussions. I do know that BYU and Utah have told the PAC 10 they are a set and would only be interested if they both swapped conferences together.

I have heard rumor of this since I moved to Utah over 20 years ago. I know BYU and Utah would love being in the Pac-10 and I think it would really help both programs.

Iceaxe
12-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I have heard rumor of this since I moved to Utah over 20 years ago. I know BYU and Utah would love being in the Pac-10 and I think it would really help both programs.

I think this is one of those.... "be careful of what you wish for" situations. Most the youngin's don't remember back to when Arizona and Arizona Sate were in the WAC along with BYU and Utah. The AZ schools were the powerhouse of the conference (similar to BYU and Utah now) and usually ranked high with prestigious programs....

Then the Pac 8 became the Pac 10 and swallowed up the AZ schools.... and since that time the AZ schools have spent most their time as cannon fodder for the rest of the conference. I think the powers that be at BYU and Utah have taken notice of what happened with the AZ schools and are very reserved in making a jump to become the PAC 12.

Honestly.... what I think would make BYU, Utah and the MWC most happy would be for the conference to be put on a equal footing with the ACC and Big East where they belong.

CarpeyBiggs
12-24-2008, 10:39 AM
AZ schools haven't necessarily excelled in football, but many of the other teams haven't either. USC runs the P10. But occasionally, Oregon or Cal, or OSU or UCLA or someone gets hot, and makes it interesting. Fortunately, changing conferences is not all about football. Basketball definitely comes to mind.

BYU and Utah would probably not excel in football in the Pac10, but they would compete (as much as the rest of the P10 does, at least). Being Pac10 conference champions is not that important, in the whole scheme of things. It's about breaking even financially on athletic programs. BYU can and does regularly achieve this in the MWC, but if they were in the Pac10, you'd better believe they'd do even more easily. I think most fans would be okay with losing a few games in the P10 every year, given all the other rewards from the association.

Football is tough, but they certainly would compete in other sports. Basketball for sure.

Iceaxe
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
DiscGo.... your getting beat like a red headed step child....

Better not let your wife see this..... :haha:

DiscGo
12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I'm sucking badly this year. I think part of my problem is that there are not many bowl games which excite me this year (and that goes double for the Fiesta bowl when Texas is going to destroy us). Great year for me, bad year for football :)

trackrunner
12-29-2008, 05:46 PM
but I don't think Air Force, Wyoming, etc would like the MWC to expand too much.

You might want to check out Air Forces record. They tradtionally have a winning record, and go bowling, they tradtionally play a pretty tough non-conforence schedule (this year was more the exception). Air Force has been ranked as high as #2 nationally (1985) and is often a top 25 team. They have a great bowl record at 8-9-1.

I don't think Air Force is afraid of anyone....

Ice I think you read too deep into my comment. I didn't accuse Air Force of being weak or dodging competition. Air Force absolutely didn't like what the 16 team WAC did to the historic conference rivalries.

As for USC was I joking Yes & No. Yes I realize that USC wouldn

Iceaxe
12-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I think part of my problem is that there are not many bowl games which excite me this year

I'm like everyone else.... usually three or four bowl games excite me and I could careless about the rest.... but I have to say this pick'em has at least kept me somewhat interested in games I would normally careless about.

I've also in a 26 pmember pick'em with a coin payout attached so I have a bigger interest then most of you. I used the same line-up for both pick'ems.

Brewhaha
12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Dang, Ice, you are crushing everyone.

accadacca
12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I better login and see the carnage. :lol8:

DiscGo
01-05-2009, 06:15 AM
I already know that tonight's game is not going to be pretty. I still believe that the two best teams in the country are USC and Texas and I realize that Ohio State will most likely be killed tonight. So assuming they do lose, I think we can all agree that nobody needs to talk trash to me about the game. I still don't see how the #3 team (who has a strong claim for being in the National Title game) plays the #10 team.

Iceaxe
01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I still don't see how the #3 team (who has a strong claim for being in the National Title game) plays the #10 team.

Thank the same system that screwed Boise State out of a BCS game and denies Utah a chance of ever playing for a National Championship.....

If the world were a fair place Ohio State would not even be in a BCS game.... but then again.... the BCS is really about the money and not football.....

And further food for thought.... a win by Ohio State tonight would actually help Utah's final ranking and maybe put them at #2.

trackrunner
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
And further food for thought.... a win by Ohio State tonight would actually help Utah's final ranking and maybe put them at #2.

Yes it would. I'm cheering for Ohio State & Oklahoma for the next two games. Also want it to be very boring football. Now that would help Utah a lot in the rankings.

DiscGo
01-05-2009, 10:45 AM
I prefer the BCS to how it was before the BCS. At least you do have the highest ranked teams playing each other, but I still believe that a tournament like in Division 2A would be much better.

trackrunner
01-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I prefer the BCS to how it was before the BCS. At least you do have the highest ranked teams playing each other, but I still believe that a tournament like in Division 2A would be much better.
But there already is a Divsion 1 football playoff. Just copy it and apply it to FBS

DiscGo
01-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm just saying that I do like that there is a game that consists of the #1 & #2 teams which determines a National Champion. I just don't like how those teams get there.

Iceaxe
01-05-2009, 11:31 AM

:roflol: dude.... it's all smoke and mirrors. They are only ranked one and two because some reporter that might have played football once in the 3rd grade ranks them there. This whole ranking thing is the worlds largest dog and pony show.... its a total joke....

All the BCS does is guarantee you will have two quality teams play each other at the end of the year.... and to do that they rape their other 4 bowls.

DiscGo
01-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I said that I don't like how the teams are picked, I just like that 1 & 2 play.

trackrunner
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I said that I don't like how the teams are picked, I just like that 1 & 2 play.

And I'm saying those teams aren't really 1 & 2. Or how do you know those teams are 1 & 2?

When has there not been controversy over who was selected for the BCS game (1 & 2)?

Iceaxe
01-05-2009, 03:37 PM
And I'm saying those teams aren't really 1 & 2.

Yeah.... what trackrunner said. :2thumbs:

DiscGo
01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
1 hour and 15 minutes to kick off!

DiscGo
01-05-2009, 03:46 PM
So what. You guys prefer the system of 1984 where BYU beats a team that had no chance of being the National Champions to become national champions?

Iceaxe
01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
So what. You guys prefer the system of 1984 where BYU beats a team that had no chance of being the National Champions to become national champions?

The BCS just repackaged Kool-Aid as "Country Time", but added the meaningless "New and Improved!" label.

If they really want to improve the current BCS games they need to dump the "automatic bids" and take the 10 best teams and match them up. It would stop dogs from getting into the show.....

1 hour and 15 minutes to kick off!

Dang.... after Thrusday I'm really going to miss college football. :cry1:

trackrunner
01-05-2009, 11:07 PM

I wrote apply the current Division 1 playoff.

Yes there is better bowl match ups now. Had the the Y played and killed a team like Bama then there would be no contraversy that they deserve to be national champs that year.

Now fast forward to 2008 and you have a team go undefeated in a conference that is defently better than 3 (I left the SEC out) of the BCS conferences. MWC is 10-2 agains the PAC-10 & SEC this year! MWC has 3 teams in the top 20, and maybe two top 10 with TCU. Utah beat 4 top 25 teams this year. A better strenght of schedule than a lot of BCS teams. Poll voters are coming out and saying how badly they got it wrong. Admitting that they never even watched Utah play a game this season & ingnorant of all these facts. Had this been pre BCS, Bowl Allience etc, there would be no doubt that Utah would be national champs with all these facts.

So is the system really that better. Which one robs less? BCS is more money. And that is the 800lb gorilla in the room. Look how the bowls select their teams, what teams will draw the largest revenue. Not what is best for the sport.

Easy way to solve this. Call up the admistartors of the Division 1 FCS playoff. Call up the NCAA hopes selection comitte (for insperation on selecting at large teams and doing actuall field work not opion, computers, or polls alone). And come up with some playoff system for Division 1 FBS.

:utes: :utes4: :utes3: :utes5: :ute_helmet: :utes7:

:soapbox:

DiscGo
01-06-2009, 05:41 AM
I hope you guys don't think that I disagree with you about the current way teams become #1 & #2. I would LOVE a play off and I do feel like things get "fixed" now days. I think it is lame that Georgia was the best team in the country last year (at the end of the season) and LSU jumps them from 4 spaces back to go on to be National champs. I think it is lame that Utah tears down every team in front of them (similar to BSU 2 years ago, and Utah 4 years ago) and they don't get a shot to prove how great they are. How are you going to have a team be "national champion" if another team has never lost all season? I just think it is a good start to have the highest ranked teams play each other. Things still need to be improved, but I do think it is better than it was 20 years ago.

Iceaxe
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I own all your asses!!!!

Bow before greatness........ :hail2thechief:

Brewhaha
01-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Well done Ice.

:headbang: :clap: :2thumbs:

Also,

:yousuck:

DiscGo
01-09-2009, 01:42 PM