PDA

View Full Version : What makes a really good B&W photo?

Scott Card
12-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I was looking at the black and white thread and wondering what the opinion was of ya'll on what constitutes a really good b&w photo. I used to do some of my own b&w photos and developing in the day and I was taught that contrast, lights and darks was good, no monocromatic stuff etc. This was in high school and it was taught to me in a photo class taught by an artist. So, photographers, what is the judging criteria for really good B&W photo? :popcorn:

R
12-17-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't want to sound like any kind of a smart ass here, but to tell you the truth, there isn't a concrete, objective way to grade art. Black-and-white isn't any different. Look at lots of B&W, and figure out what inspires you, what amazes you, what amuses you. Then shoot, shoot, shoot. Figure out not how to copy what you saw and liked, but how to translate those ideas into your own images. And it's a process, not a destination.

Win
12-18-2008, 05:19 AM
I think that black and white is about mood. I used to shoot B&W in film and always liked to have grain, a gritty look.

Win

CarpeyBiggs
12-21-2008, 12:11 PM
yeah, contrast and mood is what makes a BW work for me.

rockgremlin
12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
I think that black and white is about mood. I used to shoot B&W in film and always liked to have grain, a gritty look.

Win

Definitely. Every time I shoot things like old broken down cars, ghost towns, abandoned structures, etc, I ALWAYS shoot in B&W. The lack of color in images like these encourage a feeling of times forgotten.