PDA

View Full Version : UUTAH!!! or bogley?

Alex
12-15-2008, 08:14 PM
what uutah peeps say....

R
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
How about myutah.com?

Okay, it's taken. Don't lose hope! Myutah.net? Taken. Myutah.org? Hmmm, no luck. Ustabeuutah.com is available!

Alex
12-15-2008, 08:20 PM
uutah FTW

Sombeech
12-15-2008, 08:27 PM
ALEX
15:40
uutah ftw!
17:46
wtf, bogley got 2 votes... you can't vote twice... remember I have access to all the labs in the district....
17:53
lots of computers....

jeepjustinjeep 9:18 PM
lol
18:45
if uutah wins, I'll switch the answers around

accadacca
12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
SWEET! With the Utes back on top of the Utah Football empire. Let's change the name back to reflect the mighty 12-0 Utah Utes. We could turn this into a Utah Utes website. :rockon:

...wait cougar fans wouldn't like that. :lol8:

GO UTES and UUTAH!!

http://spln.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1051127reg.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/UofU_logo_color.png

JP
12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Alex, this is gonna be you're thing :roflol:

http://www.toonjokes.com/data/media/9/9.jpg

Mtnman1830
12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
ALEX
uutah ftw!
wtf, bogley got 2 votes... you can't vote twice... remember I have access to all the labs in the district....
lots of computers....

lol

CORRUPTION AND FIXED VOTING HERE IN THE FORUMS TOO!!!

AGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:haha:

Alex
12-16-2008, 05:12 AM
ALEX
uutah ftw!
lots of computers....

lol

:eek2: :eek2: umm.... Justin has ties with Borack Obama! He is the bad one.

JP
12-16-2008, 06:04 AM
:lol8: :lol8:

blueeyes
12-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Quit your whining about the name change, change is good!

asdf
12-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Quit your whining about the name change, change is good!

were you here before the gremlin took things over........

UUtah FTW

shlingdawg
12-16-2008, 07:47 AM
http://www.bogley.com/forum/templates/c3s/images/headerLeft.jpg

http://www.bogley.com/forum/templates/c3s/images/headerRight.jpg

Alex
12-16-2008, 07:50 AM
The main reason for the name change originally was to make it more broad across states. Not just concentrating on Utah.

Well we have maybe maximum of 5 out of utah regular users. The rest are Uutahns. So that whole idea kind of flies out of the window....

Don
12-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Bogley is original and memorable, like Google or twitter. Tell someone about uutah and no-one cares or they think it's UofU related, tell someone about bogley and maybe they'll remember.

DiscGo
12-16-2008, 07:57 AM
I am working on being less involved with matters of contention lately, but I feel like I would regret not stating that I have never liked the name Bogley, I liked UUTAH, and go ahead and flame me or whatever but the site seemed like it was cleaner and friendlier when it was uutah.

I never thought about leaving uutah but I have contemplated leaving Bogley lots of times :D

blueeyes
12-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Bogley is original and memorable, like Google or twitter. Tell someone about uutah and no-one cares or they think it's UofU related, tell someone about bogley and maybe they'll remember.
+1

While surfing video's of mt biking I saw one of Beech's in Ice Box Canyon. The name caught my attention and I decided to check it out. I know about a few other forums here in Utah, and have a membership with them. But this is the one I like.

Summit to answer your question about where was I before the gremlin. Well I didn't waist this much time on the internet before I found the gremlin.

As for this being a forum to include more states. How long did it take before it really built momentum here in Utah? This I don't know because I have only been around for a couple of months. It will take time for it to grow outside of Utah, and it will. Especially if it doesn't have a name that is Utah specific.

Alex
12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
As far as I know, we haven't gained anyone from outside of Utah since the name change.

DiscGo
12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
BlueEyes-

Summit is one of my best friends on this site, and so I really don't mind going against him :), So let me just tell you that although you weren't here when we were uutah instead of Bogley that does not make you any less of a member of the site and to take it one step further you have been one of the greatest additions to the site since the name changed over to Bogley. So it is nothing to do with your opinion counting less, it is just that the site did used to be friendlier and more outdoorsy :), and a lot of us miss the way it was.

JP
12-16-2008, 08:26 AM
that does not make you any less of a member of the site
It doesn't :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :mrgreen:

accadacca
12-16-2008, 08:38 AM
that does not make you any less of a member of the site
It doesn't :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :mrgreen:
Get lost JP! Your from outta state. :lol8:

I just surfed the memberlist for 10 minutes to do an informal count. This is only people who listed their location. Then I surfed the newbies section to count a few more that didn't list their location but mentioned it in their introduction. I counted about 50-60 members (they had to have at least one post too) from out of state that registered over the last few months. Another fun fact. Our outdoor trip reports have doubled since we changed the name to bogley, just have a look at the home page. Actually the home page is showing trip reports from Colorado, Idaho and New Mexico right now. :five:

JP
12-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Get lost JP! Your from outta state. :lol8:
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: I was here when it was the infamous UUTAH :mrgreen: You can thank Beech for that one :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: Maybe I'll get a little lost in Florida...May I'll get lost finding Sparker :lol8:

Iceaxe
12-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Bogley is original and memorable, like Google or twitter.

I think I'll go google my twitter now. :haha:

Jaxx
12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
I like the name UUTAH better but Don has a good point about the name. It is original.

Did the name change really have anything to do with people doing trip reports out of state? Probably not. Sorry that this got dug up, I hope it's not because of my post in the birthday thread.

Alex
12-16-2008, 09:04 AM
I like the name UUTAH better but Don has a good point about the name. It is original.

Did the name change really have anything to do with people doing trip reports out of state? Probably not. Sorry that this got dug up, I hope it's not because of my post in the birthday thread.

No, you can blame Somebeech on that one :haha:

Jaxx
12-16-2008, 09:04 AM
No, you can blame Somebeech on that one :haha:

phew!

blueeyes
12-16-2008, 09:21 AM
BlueEyes-

Summit is one of my best friends on this site, and so I really don't mind going against him :), So let me just tell you that although you weren't here when we were uutah instead of Bogley that does not make you any less of a member of the site and to take it one step further you have been one of the greatest additions to the site since the name changed over to Bogley. So it is nothing to do with your opinion counting less, it is just that the site did used to be friendlier and more outdoorsy :), and a lot of us miss the way it was.

DiscGo

I didn't mind Summit's jab at me. I was just pointing out since I have found Bogley I am waisting more time on the internet then ever before. Amazing how Bogley does that to you. I never new about UUTAH wish I would have. And my opinion doesn't count as much as those of you who have over a gazillion posts.

I find Bogley to be very friendly, it makes me laugh like no other. I live vicariously through all of you. There are so many trips I would like to take and things I would like to learn how to do, like canyoneering and rock climbing, kayaking... but time and money are a factor. So I read trip reports and look at beautiful photographs, and for a minute I can be there. And occasionally I get to go do something outdoor and fun, and I no one I know really cares if I found me a wonderful mt biking trail and they get sick of my obsession with the snow. So I get to share my enthusiasm with all of you.

I have throughly enjoyed meeting so many of the Bogley family, and hope that I get to meet more. And thanks for saying that I am a good addition. I often feel like the pesky little sister you have to put up with. :lol8: But I am addicted to this website for all of the above reasons so you are stuck with me! Like it or not.

Now I have a question for you about how it use to be more outdoorsy... why is it less now? Not having been around when this was UUTAH I have no comparison. I thought it was a very outdoorsy site with a great balance of comedy and debate mixed in. A little more well rounded then just an outdoor forum.

Anyway regardless of the name I think this is a great site.

DiscGo
12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
The reason the site used to feel more outdoorsy was because there used to be a higher ratio of outdoor post to non-outdoors posts.

People used to be more united in their love of the outdoors than divided in their political views.

asdf
12-16-2008, 09:43 AM
I didn't mind Summit's jab at me.

It was not a jab at you. It just was a reply to your post.

shlingdawg
12-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Sweet Jiminey Jesus Jones. The Holidays are already taking their toll on the Bogley (formerly known as UUTAH) community. :nod:

It seems to me that there are more and more people getting hung up on semantics these days. It seems like it started with Prop 8 and now it's here.

Call it what you want, Bogley, UUTAH, the Sombeech/Accadacca outdoor forum, etc. etc. It really shouldn't matter what it's called, but rather how the people feel that come here; like it is a refuge form the rest of the internet. Somewhere that they (we) can feel comfortable and recognize a familiar screen name or face from a photo.

Despite the name change, it is still of a manageable size and our posts don't immediately get thrown to the second and third pages in less than a day. I'm more of a reader than a poster and I enjoy reading about everyone's adventures and seeing there pics.

I did find though, that when I spent more time in the political section, my attitude towards the site diminished. I don't go in there much these days.

Iceaxe
12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Personal, outdoorsy and homey has to do with where you recruit your membership from and who you recruit. New members and lurkers used to come from hiking, canyoneering, mountain biking and climbing sites.... most were personally invited by other members. When the the name changed from uutah to Bogley a lot of other things happened.... the biggest being the site was nolonger just an outdoors forum but became a bunch of other things..... becoming big and high traffic with lots of shock and awe became more important than content.

At one time typing uutah.com directed you straight into the forum..... type Bogley.com now and you are directed to a dog and pony show complete with smoke and mirrors.... you want the old feel and members you need to dump the dog and pony show..... I expressed my distaste for the new and improved format a long time ago and was told by management that I was a dinosaur that didn't know shit..... that this new format was the wave of the future.... it's not the new name that changed the site.... it was the new direction the owners took the site with the name change that has changed the forum. If you want personal, outdoorsy and homey over shock and awe the owners need to redirect the focus of the site back towards its original membership base.

Personally I preferred the old format and membership base.... but that's just me... your mileage may vary.

http://climb-utah.com/Files/hiker__sittingA.gif

Alex
12-16-2008, 10:15 AM
It's all about direct linking :2thumbs:

http://bogley.com/forum

Iceaxe
12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Everything off my website direct links.... but to really make a change it has to come from management. The website is currently traveling its intended course that it is being steered. You want something different the forum needs to be steered in a slightly different direction, and that can only come from the captain of the ship.

Sombeech
12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I counted about 50-60 members (they had to have at least one post too) from out of state that registered over the last few months. Another fun fact. Our outdoor trip reports have doubled since we changed the name to bogley, just have a look at the home page. Actually the home page is showing trip reports from Colorado, Idaho and New Mexico right now. :five:

Tru dat. You guys can keep calling it uutah.com if you want. The link still works.

For those of you who think the name UUTAH portrays outdoors in any way more than bogley, read this:

I did a little experiment today.

Hardly anybody knows about bogley or uutah at work. So I asked a small group of people what came to mind when I said "uutah", and mentioned it's a website with a certain theme.

The first response was University of Utah - not surprisingly. I said no, but to think of something about Utah.

The next response was MORMONS! - nope, keep trying.

Great Salt Lake? nope

Conservative State? Mitt Romney? Jon Huntsman? nope

Promontory Point and the Golden Spike? nope

Low funding for education? nope.

Seriously, this confirmed to me that the name uutah does not convey Outdoors any more than Bogley. At least with the name Bogley, they ask what it is.

But then again, we're outdoor enthusiasts, so when we think Utah, we think outdoors.

Alex
12-16-2008, 11:50 AM
but to think of something about Utah.

It was a leading question, dismissed! :nono:

R
12-16-2008, 12:16 PM
This site was about Utah? I had no idea .

FWIW, Uoklahoma.com is not available. :ne_nau:

Iceaxe
12-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Hardly anybody knows about bogley or uutah at work. So I asked a small group of people what came to mind when I said "uutah",

It's not the name..... people are mixing apples and oranges.... it goes back to what Discgo said.....

it is just that the site did used to be friendlier and more outdoorsy :), and a lot of us miss the way it was.

When the name changed a lot of others things changed.... that changed the flavor of the forum.... some like the new flavor and some don't.

Personally I like the new name but preferred the old flavor...

:cool2:

asdf
12-16-2008, 12:57 PM

:2thumbs:

french_de
12-16-2008, 01:03 PM
I like the name Bogley. It is an original name and easy to remember. I like the format although I don't usually visit the non outdoor sections. After all it is "Bogley... Outdoor Community" . I know, it is also about getting and keeping traffic. On Bogley it is easy to build and send a link of a TR directly to those whose web viewing skills are not as proficient. I think the outdoor sections of Bogley sit nicely among the other outdoor sites. It is always good to have a balance. UUtah insinuates Utah only. I hope to be able to post some future non Utah TR's. My two cents...... :blahblah:

DiscGo
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM

:2thumbs:

X2

DiscGo
12-16-2008, 01:37 PM
I like the name Bogley. It is an original name and easy to remember. I like the format although I don't usually visit the non outdoor sections. After all it is "Bogley... Outdoor Community" . I know, it is also about getting and keeping traffic. On Bogley it is easy to build and send a link of a TR directly to those whose web viewing skills are not as proficient. I think the outdoor sections of Bogley sit nicely among the other outdoor sites. It is always good to have a balance. UUtah insinuates Utah only. I hope to be able to post some future non Utah TR's. My two cents...... :blahblah:

I appreciated your two cents and I want to make it clear that it isn't that I don't want to hear about things outside of Utah or that people from outside of Utah are in any way less welcome on the site. I don't think anyone argues that the site should be turned off or anything. People love this site and the friendships which are formed here. It is just a matter of experiencing a different feeling on Bogley than we did on UUTAH.

And as far as Beech's quiz about what is uutah, what was their thought of the word Bogley?

Alex
12-16-2008, 01:38 PM
what was their thought of the word Bogley?

It's a Rubbish bin answer.... :lol8:

DiscGo
12-16-2008, 01:48 PM
:haha:

Sombeech
12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
And as far as Beech's quiz about what is uutah, what was their thought of the word Bogley?

That's exactly it. They had no idea, so they wanted to check it out.

jumar
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I likes the Bogley