PDA

View Full Version : Places to RENT?

climbinghalfdome
12-09-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm going to be taking a trip and need some snowshoes. I'd like to get my hands on some MSR Denali Ascent shoes.
Does anyone know of places that will rent some to me for 2 weeks?
Maybe someone out there wants a quick buck and will rent me theirs?
Kevin

Alex
12-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I know REI rents MSRs

denaliguide
12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
for the price of a 2 week rental you should just pony up the cash and buy a pair. not like you would never use them again, right?

ebay has over 1200 snowshoes and 35 are msr. have a look there and i bet you find something you like. just don't overbid. :haha:

i have a couple pairs of atlas snowshoes that i have used on denali and i really like them. easy on and off and they work with my big double boots.

climbinghalfdome
12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
ebay has over 1200 snowshoes and 35 are msr. have a look there and i bet you find something you like. just don't overbid. :haha:

i have a couple pairs of atlas snowshoes that i have used on denali and i really like them. easy on and off and they work with my big double boots.
I've been watching ebay pretty steady for the last month and those $200 shoes are selling on average for $130. I've thought about going for it but if I can rent them for $50 that would be worth it to just rent.
I too have a set of Atlas series 7, but they aren't designed for steeper terrain. Besides they are a bit too heavy for the treck I'm hoping to do.
I use my shoes less than once or twice a year.

DiscGo
12-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Don't rent! Just go to Recreation Outlet and buy a pair. They are like 80 bucks. If you do decide to rent though, I used to rent at Out-n-Back all the time and they were accommodating.

climbinghalfdome
12-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Don't rent! Just go to Recreation Outlet and buy a pair. They are like 80 bucks. If you do decide to rent though, I used to rent at Out-n-Back all the time and they were accommodating.

I think you ment $180... I just got of the phone with them and they have a ton in stock, yet the MSR Denali Ascent shoes are selling for retail @ $179.....

I'm going to check out OUt-n-back and also mountainbuzz

live2ride
12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I know most of the universities have rental programs for very inexpensive prices, Weber state, Utah etc. Try them out. I did just get back from Recreational outlet and they do have inexpensive non MSR shoes for 80 bucks, I dont care much for the MSR and prefer to have a little rebound on my snowshoes..

Don
12-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I know most of the universities have rental programs for very inexpensive prices, Weber state, Utah etc. Try them out. I did just get back from Recreational outlet and they do have inexpensive non MSR shoes for 80 bucks, I dont care much for the MSR and prefer to have a little rebound on my snowshoes..

Best value recommendation right there.

Also, if your going to buy used (and if you have time to watch for a couple weeks) you can likely find a good deal on KSL.com classifieds.

live2ride
12-11-2008, 02:22 PM
There are quite a few deals on KSL, and you can't really go wrong with snowshoes, buy a cheap pair use them the 6 or so times you will use them and if you like it buy a new pair.

DiscGo
12-11-2008, 04:00 PM
No, I meant $80. I bought snowshoes at Recreation Outlet for 80 dollars and they have been great!

climbinghalfdome
12-11-2008, 09:31 PM
No, I meant $80. I bought snowshoes at Recreation Outlet for 80 dollars and they have been great!

Yea, the regular Denali Classic snowshoes are going for that cheep. BUT I'm going to be heading up steeper terrain and would like to have the "Televador" heal bail that flips up to save on calf fatigue. "Denali Ascents" are the direction I'm going. UNLESS Atlas or some other company has something simmilar? Know of any?

Thanks to all for the checking around for me. If you see or hear of any good deals, pass them my way.
I'm going to call REI in the Morning and see what they have.
Kevin

Jaxx
12-12-2008, 10:41 AM
The elevator things are awesome. Good luck.

Don
12-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Found a good deal on those Denali Evo Ascents you're looking at.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/MSR707