PDA

View Full Version : My wife wants a DSLR - suggestions? Photoshop suggestions?

Scott Card
12-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Back in the day, I was a big Canon fan. Owned an AE-1 and an A-1 and a couple of lenses. Then my world came crashing in with the digital revolution. I no longer have a clue what I am looking for. Canon? Nikon? Model? Lets say $500 -1000 for now. Suggestions please. She does have a pretty good eye and loves to photograph the kids. All my kids play sports and pretty well where ever we go together, other than DQ on family night, she will want to take pictures. It didn't help that some of the other soccer moms showed up this year with long lenses. Lens envy struck me in high school. I am over it but I think she has it. Anyway, she wants a new camera that will take good photos. She is also talking about Photo Shop. Is one version better/easier/more intuitive than another? A better program out there for her? She and I both are NOT techno geeks by any stretch of the imagination. A little help please. Any suggestion before the 24th is OK since that is my standard dash-and-grab-anything day. :lol8:

CarpeyBiggs
12-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Typical BYU fan... Wants more for less... :roflol:

At $500, you are pretty limited. $1000 you can do more. Sports is without a doubt the most demanding thing you can make a camera do. You need a decent camera, and better glass. What sports are you shooting? Basketball? Soccer? Baseball? Football? At $1000, might be pushing it...

So, throw out an absolute definite budget, and I'll give you a better idea. Drop dead price you are willing to spend.

DWayne27
12-08-2008, 02:42 PM
So, it isnt as fancy or as expensive, and obviously not as good as the real DSLRs, but I am really liking my canon G10. It is like half way in between a point and shoot and a DSLR. $500 and plenty off knobs and dials to turn. It is perfect for me for now because I wanted to get better pictures while learning how to use a fancier camera. Also didnt wanted to spend a fortune because I am sure it is only a matter of time before I drop it in a pothole or off a cliff or smashing while squeezing through a slot...
I am glad I didnt spring for the real DSLR, because for a complete newb like me, just learning the features on this took some time, and I am still learning.
Same thing with photoshop. Seems like the $80 version of photoshop elements did most of the features I know how to use. A good starter/transition for not too much money

Scott Card
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
$1200. Jeeze, we are in a recession you know. Remember we are not making money with this camera. And as a BYU fan, I am now willing to get more for more. More better DB's please. :haha:

CarpeyBiggs
12-08-2008, 02:59 PM
$1200. Jeeze, we are in a recession you know. Remember we are not making money with this camera. And as a BYU fan, I am now willing to get more for more. More better DB's please. :haha:

LOL. I just hope the recession doesn't keep the mapleton boys from making an appearance at Freeze Fest. Tell me you are in?

Scott Card
12-08-2008, 02:59 PM
It is perfect for me for now because I wanted to get better pictures while learning how to use a fancier camera. Also didnt wanted to spend a fortune because I am sure it is only a matter of time before I drop it in a pothole or off a cliff or smashing while squeezing through a slot...
I hear you. That is why I have a Pentax water proof camera. It is for the memories not particularly for the quality. Thanks for the suggestion.

Scott Card
12-08-2008, 03:03 PM

LOL. I just hope the recession doesn't keep the mapleton boys from making an appearance at Freeze Fest. Tell me you are in?

I think we are in but dates are still up in the air. I am thinking the 2nd and 3rd. I hope someone is still there to feed.

CarpeyBiggs
12-08-2008, 04:14 PM
So, two components to consider. Camera and lenses. All cameras nowadays are pretty impressive featurewise. Main thing to consider is frames per second (important in sports.) The entry level cameras only shoot at 3.5 fps, where as the higher ones shoot 6.5. I'd consider that the biggest single feature difference. The rest is just superficial.

Canon Camera lineup -

Rebel XSi - $570 - best value, saves some money for lenses
Canon 40D - $860 - best value for sports (6.5 fps)
Canon 50D - $1100 - ripoff considering the value of the 40D, IMO

Lenses -
XSi - with a kit 18-55IS lens (probably plenty good for your needs) Add $90 (have to purchase together.)

or Canon 18-200 IS lens - $600 - kind of the jack of all trades, master of none.
Canon 70-200 f4 - $600 Best value for a really nice lens, but it doesn't zoom in really far.

I'd say for a one camera, one lens package, something like an XSi and a 18-200 IS lens would cover 95 percent of your needs. But, it won't be a spectacular performer in sports. Sports is just tough. (my byu football kit is well over $12k, and it isn't really that great...)

Someone versed in Nikon will have to help me on their lineup, if you want to go that way. Nikon does sometimes have some better value kits, though I'm not as up-to-date on those as the canons.

CarpeyBiggs
12-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I think we are in but dates are still up in the air. I am thinking the 2nd and 3rd. I hope someone is still there to feed.

Nice. I am planning tentatively on the 28th through the 4th. I imagine the 2nd and 3rd will be a good showing.

IntrepidXJ
12-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Bought a Canon XSi a few months back and I really like it.

shlingdawg
12-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Newb DSLR owner here too. I'm just trying to figure out the finer details of my Nikon D90. So far I'm impressed, but since I have nothing to compare it to, other than my fathers D40 - my opinion isn't worth the cyberspace I'm wasting with this post. :2thumbs:

Take her to a camera shop and let her fondle the different cameras. To me, the Canon didn't feel as good in my hands as the Nikon did, and the menu structure of the Nikon vs. the Canon was a main selling point. It just seemed more logical to me.

I just added a 8GB SDHC card for $12.99 from Newegg.com - Sweet. :2thumbs: (Thanks for the link Bogley.com - I want to say it was DiscGo that posted it, but I'm not sure - but I'll thank DiscGo anyway cuz he's a nice guy.....I think. :nod:

Brewhaha
12-08-2008, 05:52 PM
You can pick up a Canon 40D with a 28-135? kit lens now for less than $1000 at B and H.

bryan
12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
About 6 months ago I bought a Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm kit lens, plus the 55-200mm VR lens. I'm very happy with it. It's known to be a great starter DSLR. This package runs about $500 - $600 right now. I think it's a bargain. The other nice thing is that it's very compact and light for a DSLR. One negative is that the lens options are limited because it only autofocuses with a handful of lenses.

As far as sports shots go versus the quality of the lens required, I'd think it somewhat depends on the age of your kids. If these are young kids we're talking about, I wouldn't think they'd be moving so fast that you'd need a really expensive lens to stop the action. I took the shot below with the 55-200mm at dusk. I think it came out ok, and I imagine those guys were moving faster than most kids!

jb
12-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Scott, FWIW I have been pretty disappointed in the 18-55 IS lens from Canon. I don't have top-grade glass, but that one is far and away the worst of my lenses (and I *think* you can purchase a body only, no kit). Another idea for a cheap portrait/sports combo (Canon) is the 50mm 1.8 and the 55-250 IS. The 50 is quite decent and sharp, and the pair will run you less than the 18-200 IS. As far as software . . . if she wants PS, then I guess that's what she wants. But you might have her try the free 30-day trials for Elements and/or Lightroom. Aperture might have a free trial also. Any of them are good and not hard to get used to, personally I like LR a lot.

Brewhaha
12-09-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm not an expert, but GIMP seems like a pretty powerful (and completely free) alternative to PS.

Deuce
12-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't know how you feel about used.....but....it is a VERY nice option.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/714532/0?keyword=30D#6451857

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/708739/0?keyword=17-40#6390436

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/713534/0?keyword=70-200,f4#6440150

Okay....I am $200ish over your budget, which you may very well be able to bargain down to your exact budget. IMO it would be a GREAT set-up for your wife to start tinkering around.

Of course I am no expert on this stuff...... I just like to tinker around, take a few photos of the kids and their sports ect.

CarpeyBiggs
12-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Scott, I was at Costco last night and saw two pretty darn good deals. Canon rebel XSi with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses was under $900. The Nikon D60 with similar lens options was something like $650. Both would work out well, then you can worry about the lens envy later with the little coin you saved...

Redpb
12-11-2008, 09:22 AM
About 6 months ago I bought a Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm kit lens, plus the 55-200mm VR lens. I'm very happy with it. It's known to be a great starter DSLR. This package runs about $500 - $600 right now. I think it's a bargain. The other nice thing is that it's very compact and light for a DSLR. One negative is that the lens options are limited because it only autofocuses with a handful of lenses.

I have the D40x. Been really happy as a beginner myself. I want the 18-200mm VR... only problem with that is it's an additional 600-700. If someone comes across a refurb or wants to get rid of one, please let me know.

Scott Card
12-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Scott, I was at Costco last night and saw two pretty darn good deals. Canon rebel XSi with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses was under $900. The Nikon D60 with similar lens options was something like $650. Both would work out well, then you can worry about the lens envy later with the little coin you saved... Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have been eyeing both of those. I can't make up my mind which to go after. As to lens envy, which company is typically less expensive? Canon I presume?

asdf
12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I really like my Canon XSi

CarpeyBiggs
12-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Scott, I was at Costco last night and saw two pretty darn good deals. Canon rebel XSi with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses was under $900. The Nikon D60 with similar lens options was something like $650. Both would work out well, then you can worry about the lens envy later with the little coin you saved... Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have been eyeing both of those. I can't make up my mind which to go after. As to lens envy, which company is typically less expensive? Canon I presume?

It's a crapshoot, really... Nikon seems to be more expensive in the telephotos. I bet it is close though? :ne_nau:

Rev. Coyote
12-11-2008, 07:18 PM
I have a Pentax SLR that has been a rock-solid performer. Bought it because my old 35mm newspaper kit was a Pentax K-1000 and the lenses fit the new SLRs.

The K-1000 is still quite serviceable, incidentally.

psl53
12-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Bryan,
Nice shot, how fast is the lens you shot that with?
Peter

bryan
12-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks psl. That was shot with the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR. It was probably shot at 200mm so the f was 5.6. Not terribly fast. But the good thing is that the D40 does well at ISO1600 so that helps offset the slower lenses.

R
12-15-2008, 10:10 AM
If you don't mind routinely fixing distortion (in Photoshop, for instance), you might consider the Tamron 18-200mm (the new one with the AFS motor). My wife loves the all-in-one walk-around style, and it's much cheaper than the Nikkor or the Canon equivalent.