PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS3 vs Elements

DWayne27
12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
So, I dont have much experience with either program, but for the most part I have figured out how to do everything i was doing with elements with CS3. There are obviously a lot more options with CS3...

The one thing I havent figured out is how to straighten images with CS3. I can crop and then tilt what i have cropped, but it is hard to get it exactly right. In elements there was the straighten tool that you could just draw a line to use as the horizon line but i can not find an equivilent for that tool in CS3.

Any suggestions?

CarpeyBiggs
12-08-2008, 12:25 PM
usually that step is performed in ACR before taking the raw into CS3. If you don't like ACR, you can use the crop tool, though it takes two steps. Or use the Filter/Distort/Lens Correction tool.

DWayne27
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Is ACR seperate software from CS3? Maybe I just am way to new to all this... What if I am not shooting in RAW? Should I just always shoot that way?

So much to learn....

CarpeyBiggs
12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
ACR is Adobe Camera Raw. It's part of Photoshop and Bridge. If you are shooing JPG, consider opening the JPG in ACR, via Bridge. Are you familiar with Bridge at all? I can give you some tips in bridge, that will probably help.

To be honest, Photoshop is very complex, and not really the easiest way to make most basic photo adjustments, especially when manipulating many photos. Photoshop is designed for in depth adjustment of a single image. Lightroom is superior for those type of adjustments that are made over and over to multiple images. Using Bridge (and ACR) is a nice compromise.

That would be my recommendation, is to get comfortable with Bridge and only use photoshop when you need to do local corrections.

DWayne27
12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
No- I am not familiar with bridge. When I installed CS3 i wondered what the heck it was and just ignored it and started to use photoshop.

Any and all tips are very appreciated

CarpeyBiggs
12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Bridge is an application that allows you to organize and view photos en masse. It is kind of like windows explorer, in that you can browse thumbnails of all your images. If you double click on a photo in bridge, it allows you to non-destructively edit a photo globally, including straightening horizons, changing color balance, clone out dust spots, etc...

You can open it from Photoshop via File-Browse. Right click on images from Bridge and select "Open in Camera Raw."

Play with the settings. It will simplify your life, I imagine.

If you have specific questions, fire away.

DWayne27
12-08-2008, 09:17 PM
so i am assuming i wont be able to use the 'open in camera raw' option unless the image was shot in raw

CarpeyBiggs
12-09-2008, 12:08 AM
so i am assuming i wont be able to use the 'open in camera raw' option unless the image was shot in raw

Actually, no. You can open in ACR even if it is a JPG. It's not as ideal, but works ok. Just remember to save the file as a copy to save your changes.

DWayne27
12-09-2008, 08:57 PM
OK- I must be pretty stupid... I just tried shooting in raw for the first time, and now i can not open them, even in CS3 or Bridge. They show as 'CR2' file types. If I open them by browsing through either program, it just says 'Could not complete your request because it is not the right type of document'. Any suggestions? I defintely dont want to lose these pics...

CarpeyBiggs
12-09-2008, 09:23 PM
OK- I must be pretty stupid... I just tried shooting in raw for the first time, and now i can not open them, even in CS3 or Bridge. They show as 'CR2' file types. If I open them by browsing through either program, it just says 'Could not complete your request because it is not the right type of document'. Any suggestions? I defintely dont want to lose these pics...

What kind of camera do you have? If it is a somewhat new model, you probably need to update your Camera Raw to a later version. In Photoshop, you can click on "Help -- Updates" and it should get it all up to date, and you'll be on your way. :rockon:

DWayne27
12-09-2008, 09:29 PM
OK then- that may be it. I have a rather new Canon G10. When I try to use Bridge, and go to the Open in RAW link... it doesnt exist. I will try to find an update

CarpeyBiggs
12-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Yeah, it's gotta be the update, for sure. G10's are brand spankin' new when it comes to RAW support. Should solve your problems.

Sombeech
12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I'll let you guys know how I'm enjoying CS4 in a few days. :haha:

DWayne27
12-10-2008, 08:04 AM
So- are all RAW images suppose to show up blue and grainy?

CarpeyBiggs
12-10-2008, 09:31 AM
So- are all RAW images suppose to show up blue and grainy?

Um, no.

DWayne27
12-10-2008, 09:59 AM
so- these shots were taken underground, so someone told be it looks blue because there is no white balance since i am shooting in raw (and i need a good flash) and i can adjust that. and its grainy because of a high ISO and poor lighting...

does that sound right?

CarpeyBiggs
12-10-2008, 10:38 AM
so- these shots were taken underground, so someone told be it looks blue because there is no white balance since i am shooting in raw (and i need a good flash) and i can adjust that. and its grainy because of a high ISO and poor lighting...

does that sound right?

Yes, in that case, that sounds right. You can fix the white balance easily in RAW. Just play with the slider until it looks right. Graininess always accompanies low light photos. Just part of the game...