PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Sports Movies

Iceaxe
12-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I was just redoing my DVD collection and thought I'd list what I consider the 10 great sports movies ever:

Grand Prix - NR, 176 mins., 1966 (MGM)
Tin Cup - R, 135 mins., 1996 (Warner)
White Men Can't Jump - R, 117 mins., 1992 (Fox)
Slap Shot - R, 123 mins., 1977 (Universal)
North Dallas Forty - R, 118 mins., 1979 (Paramount)
The Bad News Bears - PG, 101 mins., 1976 (Paramount)
Bull Durham - R, 108 mins., 1988 (MGM)
The Longest Yard - R, 121 mins., 1974 (Paramount)
Rocky - PG, 119 mins., 1976 (MGM)
Heart Like a Wheel - PG, 113 mins., 1983 (Starz/Anchor Bay)

They are in no particular order.... if you like sports and have not seen any of the movies above I suggest you rent a copy.

Anyone have a movie they think should be on the list? and if so, what movie what you remove from the list.... cause everyone knows a top ten list can only have 10.

Below are a few movies that I considered for my to ten that didn't make it.....

Honerable mentions:

Raging Bull
Caddyshack
Hoosiers
Brian's Song
Heaven Can Wait
Worlds Fastest Indian

:popcorn:

denaliguide
12-05-2008, 04:05 PM
worlds fastest indian would have made my list. but thats because i only live 2 hours from invercargil. (thats spelled with one l to save ink.) i'm also a motorcycle rider. i thought it should have won an oscar.

to get it in i would dump bad news bears.

i have always liked days of thunder.

you also didn't mention mighty ducks, or field of dreams. neither of which would have made my list.

slap shot would be my number one. thats one great funny movie. "were putting on the foil"

Iceaxe
12-05-2008, 04:13 PM
worlds fastest indian would have made my list.

It's a good flick.... My famly supplied some of the cars used in that movie and were extras. :nod:

When they hand the cash to Burt near the end of the movie both my brother-in-law and and sister-in-law are standing next to him.

savanna3313
12-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Don't forget The Natural with Robert Redford. The last scene in that movie is on my top ten for best scene from a movie.

I agree with Slap Shot and North Dallas Forty being among the most humorous. Mac Davis was hilarious. "Gross? That's not gross! Gross is when you go to kiss your grandpa goodnight and he sticks his tongue down you're throat - that's gross!!!"

Oh....one more funny one is "Semi-Tough" with Burt Reynolds and Kris Kristofferson. The owner of the Miami team (played by Robert Preston) is classic.

Iceaxe
01-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I watched The Express - The Ernie Davis Story Last night.... it's now in my top ten favorite sports movies. It's a great flick, check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

:2thumbs:

DiscGo
01-10-2009, 06:09 PM
10. Sandlot

9. Eight Men Out

8. Brian's Song

7. Happy Gilmore

6. BREAKING AWAY

5. Field of Dreams

4. A League of Their Own

3. Remember the Titans

2. Rocky

1. Rudy

Honorable Mentions: Caddyshack, Necessary Roughness, Rocky 2-4, Bad News Bears (as much as I like Billy Bob Thorton, that is the original Bad News Bears from the 70s), Hoosiers, & probably The Natural.