PDA

View Full Version : Conditions report (Gemini Bridges, Pucker Pass/Long Canyon)

Scott P
11-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Here is my condition report from Thanksgiving weekend if anyone is interested. We spent the last few days off-roading and hiking in the Moab area. My brother had a Suzuki XL-7 and new to 4wd driving so we couldn

JP
11-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for that update Scott :2thumbs:

ExpUt
11-30-2008, 11:09 PM
What day were you on Long Canyon? We ended up coming through there Friday night after a day on the White Rim Trail.

Our weekend: We ended up running the White Rim Trail & Long Canyon on Friday, then over the Abajo Mtns and into Montezuma Creek (southeast of Monticello) for camp Friday night. Finished the drive south and then spent the afternoon at Hovenweep, down through Arizona to Four Corners and Shiprock (new mexico) for lunch, back to Monticello on Rt 666 and then camped out on the edge of the mesa overlooking the Green near Spring Canyon (Hey Joe Canyon). Woke up this morning and made our way back out to 191, spent some time in the Swell on the way home via Black Dragon Wash and up Buckhorn to Huntington. A ton of driving (over 1100 miles and nearly 400 of that in the dirt) but an amazing trip and the rigs help up!

Scott P
12-01-2008, 06:16 AM
What day were you on Long Canyon?

It was Friday, early afternoon.

We ended up coming through there Friday night after a day on the White Rim Trail.

White Rim is one of my favorites, but my brother didn't want to do it.

moab mark
12-01-2008, 07:07 PM
The trail to eye in the whale can be done by a SUV, it has a few difficult spots but not to bad. You have to go in from the salt wash road since the best part of the trail washed out and the park service so nicely just closed it instead of fixing it. It's amazing what they can get away with without public input. It's really not worth the drive out there as far as jeeping unless you just want to see the arch. When you could make the loop it was a fun jeep trail but no more. I have heard just hiking to the arch on the hiking trail is pretty good?
Yea it was pretty packed over the weekend.
Mark

Scott Card
12-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Pucker Pass :lol8: That is one of the finer names out there. :lol8: I take it that ain't the kissing type pucker they are referring to?

Scott P
01-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Pucker Pass That is one of the finer names out there. I take it that ain't the kissing type pucker they are referring to?

The name comes from the huge boulder that you drive under that fell off the cliff and is leaning against the wall. It's a really neat drive.

PolarXJ
02-10-2009, 01:40 PM
One of my favorite pics is driving under that rock.