PDA

View Full Version : Friday Deals

MtnJeret
11-24-2008, 04:05 PM
I didn't see this topic in any recent threads. Anyone going out for early morning sales Friday morning? Any really good deals out there? Any good stories (fights) from previous years? I am looking to get a good deal on an LCD TV. Any suggestions?

Mtnman1830
11-24-2008, 06:52 PM
I get off work at 0530 friday morning. I just may head out and brave the minions. I just don't know what to buy.

JP
11-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Black Friday...too many shoppers for me :mrgreen:

RedMan
11-24-2008, 08:00 PM
I'd rather slash my wrists.

I think I'll be rock crawling in Moab.

kris
11-24-2008, 10:50 PM
retailer ads can be found at blackfriday.info

I just want to pick me up a PS3. Not sure if any "deal" is worth the hassle.

KapitanSparrow
11-25-2008, 06:16 AM
I never took part in black friday craziness. I hate crowds, heh. I think you can save a bunch of money if you know what you want, do research, and find a good deal. If not, you'll just end up with bunch of crap you don't need.

Jaxx
11-25-2008, 07:24 AM
I didn't see this topic in any recent threads. Anyone going out for early morning sales Friday morning? Any really good deals out there? Any good stories (fights) from previous years? I am looking to get a good deal on an LCD TV. Any suggestions?

I recently bought a DLP. RCWilley was the best price around with the best warranty. I started looking for LCD but the 60" DLP was just too tempting. I saw an ad for RCWilley selling the 65" for $1300. the 60" was $1200 when I bought it. That was just the normal "sales" price. It has nothing to do with this weekend. They were the same price when I bought my tv last month. they are 1080p.

MtnJeret
11-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the info. The last time I ventured out on black friday was 8 years ago to get a cheap TV. I think its natural that I replace the TV with a new one purchased on black friday. :2thumbs:

Does anyone have any stories about fighting for the last toy or other exciting holiday shopping craziness?

skianddive
11-25-2008, 08:33 AM
I'd rather have to sit and listen to James rave about Obama than have to be out shopping on Black Friday. :haha:

But if any are brave enough, here is another website dedicated to this auspicious event, where you can also browse via the product category.

http://www.black-friday.net/ (http://www.black-friday.net/)

Jaxx
11-25-2008, 08:55 AM
One time I went to Toys-R-us on black friday. It was when the tickle me elmo was really big and I had to have one for my daughter.
I got up early and skipped a shower so I could get that few extra minutes in and hopefully be a few people closer to the front of the line.
As I approached the parking lot I could see it was already packed. It was 5:30 on a cold November morning and there was already atleast 100 people there infront of me and alot of cars pulling into the lot behind me.
I ran to the line to secure my spot infront of an elderly woman who looked like she needed help. I thought for a second about helping her but my christian side was overpowered by my need to get a good deal.
As I waited in line I was sizing people up. Who could I beat in the race to the elmos. Who would be a challenge.
as it neared 6 AM the excitement in the air took over. When we saw the workers getting near the door all hell broke lose. People were pushing and shoving and there wasn't a line anymore. It was a huge mob of people pushing and shoving to get as close to the doors as possible. Luckily as a large man it was fairly easy for me to push the mostly woman crowd out of the way. I was near the front. Some bulkier moms infront of me that I decided there were enough elmos for them and me.
The time drew near and the pressure from every direction on my body felt like I was being crushed between two cars. Finally the workers came and opened the three sets of double doors in unison.
As I pushed my way in I was near the front of the crowd. I was feeling confident that I was going to be the lucky owner of a tickle-me-elmo and that my 2 year old daughter would have the happiest Christmas ever. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my ankle. As I fell to the ground I couldn't fathom what was happening. I hit the ground with a thud. People walking all around and on me. Later I realized that I had stepped on the side of someones foot and twisted my ankle causing a pretty serous sprain. I struggled back on to my feet and continued my quest to the elmo in a hoppled sprint.
As I rounded the corner to the isle that the elmos where on I discovered a sea of people like I haven't seen before. People were shoving, yelling, hitting and scratching for the toy.
With my hurt ankle I wasn't going to be very effective as the bully anymore. I had to change my game plan since I couldn't just shove my way through. I politely ask a lady that looked like a running back for the New York Jets if she would mind grabbing one for me since I was hurt. She rudely shoved me aside and told me that "everyone has problems. Stop being such a baby."
I was stunned. My world was shattering and I couldn't help it. I tried to push my way through but I couldn't put weight on my ankle with out a lightning bolt of pain running up my leg.
That is when an angel appeared. The old lady that I didn't help in the line. She had two elmo dolls in her wrinkly and feeble hands. I assumed she had heard my dilema and grabbed me an extra elmo. I asked her if she got the extra elmo for me.
I saw her face change from that of an angel to a pure satanic ogre. She spat in my eye in between curses as she exclaimed that they were for her two grandchildren.
How could this be happening? In a desperate move I did what any crazed non bathed black friday shopper would do. I ripped on of the elmos from her hands and pushed her to the ground. I didn't even care to look around at who saw me. It was for a good cause, right?
I took the farthest register line from the incident in hopes that the lady wouldn't be able to find me. After an hour and a half of waiting in line I finally purchased my tickle me elmo. My daughters christmas was complete and I was done shopping for the year.
As I was leaving I was stopped by a security officer and pulled aside. He asked me about how I was lucky enought to get a tickle me elmo. I started to sweat and my hands started shaking. What did this toy do to me. I have never been in trouble with the law before. I panicked. I figured that there were enough people leaving the store that I would be able to lose him.
I shoved him with both hands and started my limping gallop toward my car. Dodging and weaving in between the other crazies that decided today would be a good day to shop. As I neared my parked car I heard someone yelling "Stop him!". I knew that I had to get to my car. It was my safe zone.
I didn't want to turn around in case he somehow didn't see me. As I neared my car I could feel my heart trying to jump out of my chest. I made it! I fumbled with my keys and unlocked the door. Safely inside I wasted no time starting it up and backing out. I could see the security gaurd running for me yelling into his radio. I peeled out and lost him in the crowd.
As I neared my house I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the emotion of such an experience. I started to sob from the happiness of giving my daughter what she wanted for christmas. There were a few things that I am not proud of but I will worry about that later. After the holidays. For now I will enjoy the victory.

This really didn't happen. I just made it all up. I can't believe that I just spent all that time typing a made up story. I guess I better get some work done since I just wasted 20 minutes.

Really the only thing that has happened was back when I worked for JCPenney many years ago. Some moms didn't get their mickey snow globes and they were pretty mad about it. I explained that there were limited numbers and that I was sorry we didn't have more.

Alex
11-25-2008, 09:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJVZ2p223o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehSkxg7wvyk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KazUR7ZIQ7k&feature=related

No thanks, I'll pass :2thumbs:

DiscGo
11-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Last year I went to RC Willey in the afternoon to have them price match an advertised BestBuy deal. I have now owned my dream television for over a year and I owe it all to an awesome wife and a crazy Black Friday deal.

RedMan
11-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks Alex.

We are such a sad society sometimes.

Too bad people don't put that kind of effort into helping each other.

And all to save a few bucks buying crap nobody needs.

I think everyone I know is going to get a Christmas card that says "I was going buy you some crap for Christmas, but I donated the money to the Red Cross instead".

Alex
11-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Most Black Friday deals are on crappy models in most cases. Crap the stores can't get rid of. I never see Sony XBR or Samsung LCD on Black Friday deals :roll:

MtnJeret
11-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Back 8 years ago when I bought the TV on black friday. I remeber getting to the store at like 6 am and the lines where pretty big but didn't have to fight to get the TV. The funny thing was the TV didn't fit in the car so I had to call my dad at 6 am to get his truck. Needless to say he was pretty pissed.

Teleken
11-25-2008, 11:13 AM
No Black Friday shopping for me 'cause I do smash & grab shopping on Thanksgiving day. :naughty:

Redpb
11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Really the only thing that has happened was back when I worked for JCPenney many years ago. Some moms didn't get their mickey snow globes and they were pretty mad about it. I explained that there were limited numbers and that I was sorry we didn't have more.

That's because as a manager I was able to smuggle SEVERAL CASES out the door days before. Everyone in my family got some and they didn't even have to wait in line. HA!

DiscGo
11-25-2008, 02:06 PM
No Black Friday shopping for me 'cause I do smash & grab shopping on Thanksgiving day. :naughty:

:roflol:

Alex
11-25-2008, 02:15 PM
OK...has anyone tried this tactic?

1. Buy something that you know will be on sale on Black Friday on Wed at a regular price.
2. Take it back to Customer Service on Black Friday and return/rebuy it at sale price.

I know that works really well at Costco and REI, has anyone tried it at places like Walmart or BestBuy?

Deathcricket
11-25-2008, 02:26 PM

:roflol:

The 8 ball in a sock FTW!

blueeyes
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I have my assignment for tomorrow morning.

They are picking me up at 4AM. I am in charge of the Blueray DVD player. I am sure this is for my best friends husband. LOL!! Oh this will be fun. If anything exciting happens I will report. I always miss the good fights.

Mtnman1830
11-27-2008, 03:15 PM
About eight years ago, I worked at ShopKo part=time.

They asked if I was going shopping on black friday. I told them Hell no!
They asked if I would be willing to work. What a madhouse. I have never been shopping on that day, and don't plan on it.

greyhair biker
11-27-2008, 04:10 PM
we are going to avoid the early morning rush and hopefully still find something later on in the morning....can't believe I am actually greeing to this shopping deal on Fri :frustrated:

Gutpiler_Utahn
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Walmart has a 30day price guarantee that can be exploited. So long as you KNOW exactly which item is going on sale, you can buy it before hand, then go back to the Customer Service desk on Black Friday and get a refund of the difference. :2thumbs: