PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Trapping

Udink
11-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Does anyone here know of any laws or regulations pertaining to trapping coyotes in Utah? I read the furbearer guidebook on the DWR's website, and all it mentioned about coyotes is that they're not a protected species and can be hunted without a license year-round. I can't find any mention of whether (or where) it's legal to set traps.

The reason I ask is that I was on an ATV ride today, and I had my dog with me running alongside. I kept seeing what I later figured out were coyote traps buried under the dirt just a few feet from the road, and my dog could have easily gotten caught up in any one of them. It just didn't seem right for somebody to leave something potentially dangerous buried right next to the road.

Deathcricket
11-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Friggin retards. You talking about the clamp jaw dealies? Who cares if it's legal? If they are in an area where a domestic pet can step on them or a human, get rid of them. I would have taken them to the pawn shop and profited a little even. But that's just me.

Gutpiler_Utahn
11-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Trapping is legal year round on yotes, but I believe there are laws about where they can and cannot be.

denaliguide
11-22-2008, 01:32 AM
thats why its best to keep your pets on a leash. also in some states (i dont know about utah) its illegal to mess with someones legally set traps.

Win
11-22-2008, 05:10 AM
We ran into a fellow last Spring who was telling me about his dog getting caught in a trap. The trap was set right along a trail in the Kanab area.
He freed the dog and threw the trap into the woods. He reported it to the authorities and a was later charged with tampering with a legally set trap!

Win

Scott P
11-22-2008, 05:48 AM
I can't find any mention of whether (or where) it's legal to set traps.

Not only is it legal, but tax money pays people to do it on public lands. The Utah Association of Counties supports such measures and has power with the Utah lawmakers. In several counties in Utah a bounty is still paid for people who trap coyotes (paid for by taxpayers). I believe it's $20 a head in several of them, but I don't know if that's the dollar amount for every county. If you look at those ones hung on the fences likely much of the times their ears are missing. This is because they were turned in for bounties.

MY T PIMP
12-15-2008, 07:51 AM
My dad's hounds got into coyote poison and it killed the whole lot of them. :frustrated:

Rev. Coyote
01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
I destroy traps whenever I find them. Knock off a bunch of them out near Horsethief Point once. Trapping is a coward's craft.

JP
01-20-2009, 09:40 PM
I destroy traps whenever I find them. Knock off a bunch of them out near Horsethief Point once. Trapping is a coward's craft.
Look at that, they baited ya right in :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Rev. Coyote
01-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Look at that, they baited ya right in :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Indeed!

Trappers are not always cowards, though (I should clarify). They can also be piss-poor shots or guys who never get sober enough to operate a firearm.

JP
01-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Indeed!
I'm still laughing on how you got baited right in :haha:

accadacca
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I bet you dropped some roofing nails too. :lol8:

Rev. Coyote
01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
I bet you dropped some roofing nails too. :lol8:

Not in that instance.

ilanimaka
01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
So because you think trapping is evil, nobody should be allowed to do it... :roll:

*cough* *cough* fascist *cough* *cough*

JP
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Oh boy :haha: :haha:

Mtnman1830
01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
I have trapped muskrats before and had some inadvertant catches. It is my opinion, however, that blasting the animals with a high power rifle is much more fun and sportsmanlike.

Rev. Coyote
01-21-2009, 06:44 PM
So because you think trapping is evil, nobody should be allowed to do it... :roll:

*cough* *cough* fascist *cough* *cough*

This is America. Knock yourself out if you want to hunt like a coward. But if I find your traps, I'll destroy them. Pro forma.

*cough* *hack* ASSWIPE *snork* *haruff*

ilanimaka
01-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Oh, I don't trap. But it's legal so I support the rights of those who do. There's the difference. I'm accepting of what others do, whereas you seem to lean more towards vandalism.

Great example, "Reverend..." :bootyshake: :blahblah:

Rev. Coyote
01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh, I don't trap. But it's legal so I support the rights of those who do. There's the difference. I'm accepting of what others do, whereas you seem to lean more towards vandalism.

The legality of a thing does not make it right. Trapping is a cruel, torturous way to kill an animal, as opposed to a good clean shot from a .308. I don't oppose hunting (for food), but trapping is just plain wrong, and (as others pointed out on this thread) endangers domestic pets and humans.

You can get high and mighty all you want about vandalism, if that's what you want to call it. I'd call it doing the right thing.

JP
01-22-2009, 08:39 PM
endangers domestic pets and humans.
This coming from a "Roofer" :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Rev. Coyote
01-23-2009, 06:21 AM
endangers domestic pets and humans.
This coming from a "Roofer" :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Touche' JP!! Of course, I never made it clear whether I actually nailed illegal trails or not.

By the way, I followed a thread by RedMan on another 4WD group a while back (even commented under a different name) and he got his cronies whipped into a frenzy about this low-down Rev. Coyote who was spreading nails all over SE Utah. :roflol:

JP
01-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Touche' JP!!
When I saw what you posted, I couldn't pass up such an opportunity :haha: Are you still Eastbound or West? I'll be traveling through Rocky Mount on my way back down to Florida :nod:

Rev. Coyote
01-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Touche' JP!!
When I saw what you posted, I couldn't pass up such an opportunity :haha: Are you still Eastbound or West? I'll be traveling through Rocky Mount on my way back down to Florida :nod:

I'm still (ugh) in VA, out near Harrisonburg off I-81. What's taking you to Floridar?

JP
01-23-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm still (ugh) in VA, out near Harrisonburg off I-81. What's taking you to Floridar?
Dooge :haha: And I'll be heading down 81 through VA, we might just have to meet up :nod:

oldno7
01-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Dooge :haha: And I'll be heading down 81 through VA, we might just have to meet up :nod:

Bring a good leg hold trap or at least a snare, I hear it's coyote trapping season :lol8:

Rev. Coyote
01-23-2009, 07:14 AM

When will that be?

Rev. Coyote
01-23-2009, 07:15 AM

Bring a good leg hold trap or at least a snare, I hear it's coyote trapping season :lol8:

I'll tell you this but once: Use a six pack of Guiness placed in the center of an 8x8' square of sticky paper.

JP
01-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I'll tell you this but once: Use a six pack of Guiness placed in the center of an 8x8' square of sticky paper.
:haha:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/ctr3.jpg

oldno7
01-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Now that's a serious coyote trap. :haha: