PDA

View Full Version : A Fruitless Adventure - Buckley Mine

millsclimber
11-18-2008, 07:40 AM
So my brother and I went off in search of the elusive Buckley Mine up rock canyon. I tried finding some beta about the mine but there isn't much online about it (at least that I could find). The grotto told me they don't have the key - they thought that search and rescue did. And search and rescue thought they did. However, I have heard you can sneek by on the the right of the gate.

Unfortunately, we got some generic coords and tried for a couple hours to find it. Let's just say that I am much more familiar with the north side of Rock Canyon now :nod: The only thing is, we never did find the mine. We did do a pretty huge rappel just to end the day right though.

Anyone know anything about it? Coords?

jumar
11-18-2008, 09:01 AM
That sucks, I'd hoped you'd find it. I'll have to have you show me where you searched, so I won't duplicate your effort.

millsclimber
11-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Yeah I thought for sure I would find it. I found another guy that has been there tons of times. So, I'm gonna get some betta beta from him. I'll let you know. He did say the upper part of the mine is getting unstable but the bottom is in good shape. He did say there are lots of shafts and stuff and that it was fairly dangerous...sounds like fun to me!

I'm going to get him over to my office and find out it's exact location.

mills mania
11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Ya Jeff you certainly do not want to duplicate our search it was one heck of a time! hehe. It was fun but a lot of ups and downs.

bigrockman
01-03-2009, 01:50 PM
I have coords if you want to email me. I was across the canyon from it a few months ago looking for a cave when I saw two guys squeeze through the bars. Looks like you could do it from what I saw. There is also an upper entrance directly above it that may not be gated. It is a very dangerous mine though, so be careful. The best route to it is hiking all the way up the canyon to where the shelf gets close to the canyon floor, then backtracking that shelf almost all the way to the front of the canyon.

bigrockman
01-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Here is a picture of both entrances. The bottom one is definitely gated, but I am not sure about the upper entrance.

jumar
01-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks dude. I didn't know you knew the location all this while we've been looking for it. LOL

mills mania
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
hey big rock man i was on the "fruitless trip" that inspired this here thread, so if you would like to send me a PM with your email address or with the coordinates that would be awesome man! we spent hours searching and didnt find jack diddly squat.

bbennett
01-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I spent a bit of time in that mine back in high school. If I remember correctly, there's another entrance higher up on the mountain. My high school days are a little fuzzy, but I remember a fairly flat area that we climbed up a shaft within the mine with a bunch of wooden ladders fixed together to get to.

canyoncopa
06-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Buckley's (Monarch) Mine in Rock Canyon. Trip Report with directions, GPS coordinates, and pictures. http://canyonsadventurecraze.blogspot.com/2012/06/exploring-buckleys-mine_24.html