PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to Portishead on here?

devo_stevo
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm probably alone around here on this one but I thought I'd ask. I have always been a big fan of Portishead. They put out a new album in April of this year for the first time in a decade. I just picked it up this weekend and I am really digging it. It sounds almost nothing like their old stuff. It will never get any radio play (it's not that type of stuff), but it is really great.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else shares my interest in the more bizaare and obscure when it comes to music and if you have heard the new Portishead album, what do you think of it?

www.portishead.co.uk

hank moon
11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else shares my interest in the more bizaare and obscure when it comes to music and if you have heard the new Portishead album, what do you think of it?

Hey devo_stevo

Ya got a swelling, itching brain? :lol8:

The new Portishead is awesome - esp. "Machine Gun" (one of the more "abasive" tracks, say my old-Portishead-lovin' friends).

I wonder if they ever tour?

devo_stevo
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Great to hear that there's someone else out there. I love Machine Gun. My favorites though are "We Carry On", "Silence", "Threads" and the rest of the disc in no particular order.

I'll agree that the new sounds is far more "abrasive", but that is what I like about it. They can take abrasive and still get a good hook to came out of the noise. Maybe not in the traditional sense, but it's still there.

I think that they toured in Europe earlier this year. I am hoping for a tour in the US, but not holding my breathe. Especially since they probably won't even come near Utah.

asdf
11-17-2008, 01:02 PM
I do.

goofball
11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
portishead radio on pandora.com is my favorite.

devo_stevo
11-18-2008, 06:00 AM

I haven't tried that one yet. I usually listen to a mix of Cocteau Twins, The Smiths and Joy Division on Pandora. Seems to be a great mix that way.

bbennett
11-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I've never listened to them but since you brought it up, I figured I'd check them out. I just grabbed the album; Third (Advance). After browsing over it fairly quickly, I can't say that I'm digging it too much. An acquired taste, maybe?

devo_stevo
11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Their first album "Dummy" is quite a lot more approachable than Third. They even had a couple of songs from it that made a dent in the radio airwaves in the mid 90s. Might be a better place to start from than the new one. They don't really sound anything alike.

Yes, I do think that it's an aquired taste, but I sure do like it. :nod:

fourtycal
11-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Anyone listen to Portishead on here?

Never heard of it so I just youtubed it and my head exploded...or maybe that was just my speakers :haha: :rope:

LOAH
11-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Everybody's heard a track or two of Portishead's.

X-96 used to play the hell out of "Nobody loves me" and "I just wanna be a woman" was on a Levi's commercial.

If people listened to those two tracks, they'd remember.

I really like a couple of their songs, but can't say that I really got into too much of them. I like the vibe for a little while and then I get tired of it.

goofball
11-18-2008, 08:54 PM

I haven't tried that one yet. I usually listen to a mix of Cocteau Twins, The Smiths and Joy Division on Pandora. Seems to be a great mix that way.

pretty nice mix. my favorite mix is portishead/the dining rooms/radiohead/thievery corporation

greyhair biker
11-18-2008, 09:28 PM
cool stuff in an eerie sort of way. Kind of Fiona Apple-ish. Mesmerizing really. :nod:

devo_stevo
11-19-2008, 06:01 AM
pretty nice mix. my favorite mix is portishead/the dining rooms/radiohead/thievery corporation

Never heard of the dinig rooms or thievery corporation before. I'll check them out. Radiohead is great though.

Oh yeah and if you haven't heard the Cranes, you owe it to yourself to check them out. They seem to be one of those love them or hate them kind of bands too. Kind of like Portishead.

cool stuff in an eerie sort of way. Kind of Fiona Apple-ish. Mesmerizing really.

My wife told me that it was "scary" one time when the live in NYC disc came on the iTunes. :haha:

goofball
11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Oh yeah and if you haven't heard the Cranes, you owe it to yourself to check them out. They seem to be one of those love them or hate them kind of bands too. Kind of like Portishead.

i've been diggin cranes. pretty nice. and a crane station is full of nice stuff.

thanks !

i like to expand my horizons periodically.

greyhair biker
11-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I just downloaded Portishead -Dummy through itunes. I'll give it a go :nod:

devo_stevo
11-24-2008, 07:22 AM
I just downloaded Portishead -Dummy through itunes. I'll give it a go :nod:
:2thumbs: It's good stuff. I've listened to that one pretty regularly since it came out in '94.

cmpbiker
11-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Portishead did a remix of Super Bon Bon that was technoriffic.

Ride On
11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
UBER GAY!!!
it just made want to go an a baby punching rampage
slit your wrists and black your eyes all you EMO kids
I don't know whats worse, the crappy singing or the greatly failed attempt at a techno background.
:kboom: :puke8: :bore: :rope: :puke: :wallbash: :help:
I wold rather listen to hannah montana

LOAH
11-24-2008, 07:13 PM
:lol8:

That's funny.

devo_stevo
11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
UBER GAY!!!
it just made want to go an a baby punching rampage
slit your wrists and black your eyes all you EMO kids
I don't know whats worse, the crappy singing or the greatly failed attempt at a techno background.
:kboom: :puke8: :bore: :rope: :puke: :wallbash: :help:
I wold rather listen to hannah montana

:roflol: :roflol:
Thanks for the laugh there Ride On. Never really considered myself an "EMO kid" though. You're right though, it's depressing. I should listen to some power chord rock and roll where they sing about having big balls and all of that stuff... :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
11-25-2008, 09:23 PM
:roflol: I guess you wouldn't like my collection of Kyle Minogue either :roflol:
...go cut your hair girly man :mrgreen: :rockon: