PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report jumbo springs wilderness

goofball
11-16-2008, 05:09 PM
went out to extreme eastern lake mead for an overnighter. it was a blast. took the gold butte road past the virgin mountains west flanks, past whitney pocket and tramp ridge, thru the joshua tree forest, over summit pass, thru hells kitchen and arrived at devils cove late night. the landscape in the nearly full moon was breathtaking. at dawn i hiked up above devils cove and lake mead, w/ arizona just across the colorado, the benches and mesas grand canyon/parashant nm just a few miles further east. after just a bit here i headed back up hells kitchen to somewhere near new spring and headed west up a wash. then it was aimless wandering thru the wonderland of rock. i stuck to just below ridges on the east side, taking in the views eastward, and then met up w/ an atv track that connects the devils cove road near its jct w/ gold butte rd w/ hells kitchen at cottonwood canyon. i didn't visit cottonwood canyon, to my didsmay. save it for another trip i guess. once on the atv track i followed it, digressing at times into the jumbled rocky landscape, just to make it more strenuous i guess. gorgeous area. for you who like to atv, it is well worth the effort to check it out. i camped in a valley just north of cottonwood canyon, and come morning headed n/ne, crossign a few washes until the exertion inspired me to take one to its confluence w/ the devils cove road and a short road walk back to yay fun mobile. wonderful area ! i absolutely love that gold butte road complex and the access it provides to other areas and plan to make many visits. only 55 air miles from vegas, but 3 hours to get to devils cove. hi clearance and either 4x4 or a shovel to get all the way down ( due to sand ), your choice.

the images do not even come close to showing how cool this area is. lots of big boulders strewn about in many large areas, and awesome views from hi points. reminded me of the wichita mountains in oklahoma, but mellower.

Wild One
11-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Nice. :nod:
looks like a freakin good time. solo?

nelsonccc
11-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd love some more information. Dirt bike trails out there? How do you get out there? Where is the Gold butte road?

We tried to camp at Valley of Fire last weekend, couldn't get a spot and ended up at Echo Bay. 173 spots and only a few people there. Turned out all right. I spend a lot of time out there near Lake Mead, off the Bitter Springs trail and Anniversary Mine area.

Thanks.

Win
11-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Sounds like a great trip. We've been in that area a few times but plan to do more this winter.

Gold Butte Rd is accessed out of Bunkerville, NV. Exit at Bunkerville, off 15, and when you cross the river make a right, it's paved out to Whitney Pockets.

My avatar is from just below the Tramp Mine.

Win

CarpeyBiggs
11-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Nice stuff Goof. Also, was that you who wrote on my car in Zion? :roflol:

goofball
11-17-2008, 06:01 PM

:whistling:

some people see dirt, i see a pallette w/ an image in it begging to be free'd ! i will not be censored ! :jump_nutt:

if we ever meet again feel free to have your revenge. cause' i have full coverage and am reeeealy tired of car payments. i'm just sayin'... it'd be nice to get out from under it.

goofball
11-17-2008, 06:17 PM
I'd love some more information. Dirt bike trails out there? How do you get out there? Where is the Gold butte road?

We tried to camp at Valley of Fire last weekend, couldn't get a spot and ended up at Echo Bay. 173 spots and only a few people there. Turned out all right. I spend a lot of time out there near Lake Mead, off the Bitter Springs trail and Anniversary Mine area.

Thanks.

to get to gold butte rd take exit 112 off I15, the riverside exit, if coming from vegas. once across the virgin river it is an immediate right. the road is "paved" up to whitney pocket. awesome area ! from whitney pocket at the end of the "paved" road go right. you will pass a spur (right) to devils throat and red bluff spring, and next a jct (left) that will take you to az and pakoon springs, then the next jct (left) is devils cove road. continuing forward from there you will arrive at gold butte. i can't remember if there is another jct before that or not. but you can't make a wrong turn out there ! as far as trails i suppose any legal track is ok for whatever motorized recreation you would prefer. google whitney pocket or gold butte road or jumbo springs wilderness and you should get some starting points for more info.

i absolutely love thte lake mead area, so much to do and see ! bitter springs rd is way cool and thte anniversary narrows are very nice. ever dug for stones out at anniversary mine area ?

goofball
11-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Nice. :nod:
looks like a freakin good time. solo?

yeah, last minute my friend here bailed on me. her loss !

goofball
11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
just a couple more pics. better illustrations maybe of the area.

Randi
11-22-2008, 09:25 PM

:whistling:

some people see dirt, i see a pallette w/ an image in it begging to be free'd ! i will not be censored ! :jump_nutt:

Nice pictures Jason!
I wouldn't mind heading out your way for some hiking.
How's the weather there in Dec?
What did you write on Dan's car? That's funny!
My daughter's are always doing that to me, and I'm driving down the street with all kinds of wierd stuff written on my windows...:mrgreen:

tinneyr
01-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Those are some nice pic's. I've been wanting to get out to that area. Have you ever heard of Rainbow Canyon? It's supposedly at Lake Mead. If you Google it the only reference it shows is a tour that one of the resorts take people on. I've yet to find anymore info regarding it.

goofball
01-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Those are some nice pic's. I've been wanting to get out to that area. Have you ever heard of Rainbow Canyon? It's supposedly at Lake Mead. If you Google it the only reference it shows is a tour that one of the resorts take people on. I've yet to find anymore info regarding it.

never herd of that. if it is on the az side of thte black canyon of the colorado, it must be that 4x4 track north of willow beach ( http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=35.91568,-114.65950&z=14&t=T&marker0=37.75832%2C-111.25961%2Cwolverine%20canyon ) . unles they are misleading to try and keep it private club members only.