PDA

View Full Version : Storing Pictures

DWayne27
11-13-2008, 09:56 AM
So- what are people doing to back up there pictures? An external hard drive? One of those storage websites? Burning albums to CD/DVD?

Any cost effective suggestions/recommendations?

Alex
11-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I am paranoid about my pics, so I have a mirror HD set on my PC and then I copy them to an external drive.

asdf
11-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a machine in my home that I use to back up all my photos. I also upload to flickr and make monthly DVD backups and store them off site (in case my house burns down).

Picasa 3 is awesome for backing up photos, pretty much all you need to do keep putting in blank DVD's and it backs up everything. Then if you need to restore you just put in the discs and It will auto restore everything to the path of your choice.
Picasa3 also comes with the best photo viewer ever (replacement for windows photo viewer) simple and perfect.

Alex
11-13-2008, 01:43 PM
I just found this

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BC-EC26498-ProdID11319004&pos=0&whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11315166&lang=en-US#

2 drives in a mirror

DWayne27
12-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Anybody have any experience with the free online storage sites? skydrive.live.com apparently has 25 GB of free online storage for each windows live ID you have.

Thoughts?

RedMan
12-18-2008, 11:18 PM
I have a Thermaltake disk dock.

It allows you to quickly insert and remove SATA disks.
I buy Refurb 1TB disks for $89 each.

My Mac does hourly backups with Time Machine.

I have a small stack of SATA drives for specific things. I treat them like tapes.

Mozy backs up everything offsite for $60 year. I'd hate to have to retrieve much from there.

Cheap and easy.

Joe Gardner
12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I have a Thermaltake disk dock.

It allows you to quickly insert and remove SATA disks.
I buy Refurb 1TB disks for $89 each.

My Mac does hourly backups with Time Machine.

I have a small stack of SATA drives for specific things. I treat them like tapes.

Mozy backs up everything offsite for $60 year. I'd hate to have to retrieve much from there.

Cheap and easy.

Do you use Time Machine to interface with the Thermaltake? Do you simply replace the drive after its full, and start over with a new drive?

RedMan
12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Time machine is the mac only backup software.
You can go to any 1 hour backup and restore any file.
Time machine sees the disk in the thermaltake as just another disk drive.
It has a name like "Backup Disk#1" so yes you can have many disk
and you just tell Time Machine which disk to use and what to backup to that disk.

So lets Say you have a disk in your Mac that is all photos, and you want that backed up separate from everything else.

You would insert a disk in the Thermaltake, call it "Photos Backup".
Tell Time machine to make backups every hour as you work on photos.
Every hour it will backup just the changes you make to the photos to the "Photos Backup" drive.

Of course you can do this without Time Machine, just manually copy the data or use another backup program.

This way you can have more disk in your machine than can fit on a single backup disk.

Of course if the house burns down you are SOL. I keep them in a fireproof safe under my desk but half the time I leave the door open its not that safe really.

The Thermaltake BlacXse has four powered USB ports on the front which I really like. I attach external drives and my iphone etc to it.

Joe Gardner
12-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks, I use time machine with my 250gb drive, but was surprised how soon I would get the 'disc full' message. I think It's time to ebay what I have and get something like your setup. It sounds much more practical.