PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Microbrews

shlingdawg
11-04-2008, 04:49 PM
If you like a nice, hoppy and very tasty beer, I suggest you find the seasonal microbrew from Deschutes Brewery called Jubelale (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/BrewPub/OnTap/5811.aspx). They make it every year for Thanksgiving/Christmas and it is extremely tasty.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/BrewPub/OnTap/776.jpg

I found a case of it at my local Costco and decided to crack into it tonight.

I recommend it. 5 stars. *****

stefan
11-04-2008, 04:56 PM
yup ... every year, one of my very favorites :2thumbs:

apcronnelly
11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Just had some imported last week!

Don
11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Available in Utah? I love trying new beers.

Edit: shlingdawg, just noticed your from WA. Any chance Mac and Jacks African Amber will ever be bottled? Good memories of Army time spent at Ft Lewis; I love that beer.

shlingdawg
11-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Edit: shlingdawg, just noticed your from WA. Any chance Mac and Jacks African Amber will ever be bottled? Good memories of Army time spent at Ft Lewis; I love that beer.

One of the very fine nectar of the gods. I doubt M&J will ever be bottled. We both know they would make a very fine living off the proceeds if they did.

A very tasty brew indeed.

I don't know about the availability in Utah. I'm guess the state liquor store would be your only option as it's 6.7% Alc. by Vol.

JP
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Sam Adams :nod:

shlingdawg
11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Sam Adams :nod:

While Sam Adams is one of my favorite beers, I just don't put them in the "microbrew" category anymore. The Winter Lager is mighty fine. :nod:

Don
11-04-2008, 07:44 PM

One of the very fine nectar of the gods. I doubt M&J will ever be bottled. We both know they would make a very fine living off the proceeds if they did.

A very tasty brew indeed.

I don't know about the availability in Utah. I'm guess the state liquor store would be your only option as it's 6.7% Alc. by Vol.

You ever get down this way? If so bring me a pony-keg of M&J African Amber and I'll trade you for some 3.2 local brew. :roflol:

Or I'll offer up some delicious Wasatch Devastator, a strong (8% abv so only available in the state liquor store) double bock. :naughty:

stefan
11-04-2008, 07:48 PM

sorry, don, jubelale is not available in the pretty great state of utah. you'll have do break the law and do some righteous importation of it.

a pilgrimage to bend, or is certainly worth the trip to try the draught on the spot. i've picked it up in id, ca, or,wa and occasionally at raley's, winnemucca & reno.

apcronnelly
11-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Anyone ever have Moosedrool? Not a seasonal but a favorite of mine.

blueeyes
11-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Ok had to pipe in on this one just cuz I hated beer until I tried microbrew. That stuff they call beer and sell at Albertson's is only good for making beer pancakes.

Unfortunately my microbrew experience is limited. So far my favorite is Rooster's Chocolate Stout, and I do like their Bees Knees.

Ok that is all I got. I need more test tasting opportunities.

shlingdawg
11-04-2008, 07:51 PM

sorry, don, jubelale is not available in the pretty great state of utah. you'll have do break the law and do some righteous importation of it.

a pilgrimage to bend, or is certainly worth the trip to try the draught on the spot

And the food they serve at the brewery is second to none. Try the fish & chips - you'll be spoiled forever.

I just happened to spend two nights in Bend a couple of weeks ago, I ate dinner at the brewery both nights. Yum Yum Yum.

I personally rate the Jubelale, along with the Black Butte Porter a step above M&J. Mirror Pond is not bad either.

shlingdawg
11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Anyone ever have Moosedrool? Not a seasonal but a favorite of mine.

Ah, yes. Moose Drool is tasty, Big Sky Brewery IIRC. This Brown Ale is very nice, but it also makes KILLER brats. Boil your brats in Moose Drool for about 45 minutes then grill 'em up. When they're done, slice the brat in half and add a few splashes of Tabasco. I'm drooling already................ :2thumbs:

Edit: I forgot to add that I advise boiling the brats in the beer OUTSIDE. The fact is that it smells just like vomit when it boils.

stefan
11-04-2008, 07:56 PM
nice :2thumbs: love the bbporter ... but i think one of the finest brews known to man is the

OBSIDIAN STOUT :drink:

shlingdawg
11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Ok had to pipe in on this one just cuz I hated beer until I tried microbrew. That stuff they call beer and sell at Albertson's is only good for making beer pancakes.

Unfortunately my microbrew experience is limited. So far my favorite is Rooster's Chocolate Stout, and I do like their Bees Knees.

Ok that is all I got. I need more test tasting opportunities.

For what it is, Roosters isn't all that bad. Considering that it's one of the only Breweries in the Northern Wasatch Front (Ogden, Layton) they've hit a niche. For a light, refreshing hefe, the Bees Knees hits the spot.

If you ever get to Helena, MT, stop in at the Lewis & Clark Brewery - they offer up a very nice Porter.

shlingdawg
11-04-2008, 08:02 PM
nice :2thumbs: love the bbporter ... but i think one of the finest brews known to man is the

OBSIDIAN STOUT :drink:

I have not tried this yet...................... mental note taken. :five: