PDA

View Full Version : gold butte rd

goofball
10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
is it ok to post here if it was in a hyundai elantra ? just because it was designed as a passenger car don't mean it sees more pavement than dirt. and it has the dents and underbody scrapes and punctures to prove it.

this is a really cool backcountry byway ! tons to see, especially when in combo w/ other roads. whether in a day, a weekend, or a week (or more !). of course you'd have to step away from the vehicle and use your legs to do so, but even just as a sunday drive it is way fun.

the virgin mountains, whitney pocket, gold butte, numerous springs, kaleidoscopic rock, devils throat, lake mead, all await. just take nevada exit 112 off i15, once across tthe virgin river take an immediate right and start enjoying.

since the dslr busted i only have the kids p&s, so few pics taken. they do NOT do the area justice in the least, trust me.

americanhero
10-26-2008, 06:34 PM
thanks for the pics of this area.
I liked Gold Butte Byway , especially the area around Whitney Pocket. There is a lot to explore.
Did you go further on to Little Finland aka Hobgoblins Playground?

JP
10-26-2008, 06:35 PM
is it ok to post here if it was in a hyundai elantra ? and it has the dents and underbody scrapes and punctures to prove it.
I'll hold the comments on the manufacturer, but scrapes and punctures will fit in well here :haha: The more places that are posted in here that are off road friendly for others to consider is only a plus :2thumbs:

goofball
10-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I liked Gold Butte Byway , especially the area around Whitney Pocket. There is a lot to explore.

no. that mus be an "unofficial" name ? i stopped at the radio crystal mine after gold butte. i went down the devils cove rd a bit, wanted to go to pakoon springs but ran out of time.

americanhero
10-26-2008, 07:36 PM

no. that mus be an "unofficial" name ? i stopped at the radio crystal mine after gold butte. i went down the devils cove rd a bit, wanted to go to pakoon springs but ran out of time.

I'm not sure if the area is known by Americans. A lot of Germans were exploring the area last year, 'cause of the interesting rock formations there. :mrgreen:

Follow Gold Butte Byway for several miles to the south and then turn right to Devils Throad. From there u can drive in southwestern direction parallel to and after a while while into Mud Wash. It's a little bit sandy, but absolutely easy to drive. After a while u pass a corral and reach a second wash. That one u follow in southeastern direction. At the end is a section where the trail is washed out a little bit and there also is a small step.
Then follow the track to the end and park at the mesa with the palm trees.
This part is about 15 miles long.

What about the radio crystal mine? Should we stop there next year, when we are in that area again? Somehow I like that old stuff :nod:

PS: sorry, my English is not the best, I'm still improving. Just moved to Buffalo :haha:

goofball
10-26-2008, 08:26 PM

I'm not sure if the area is known by Americans. A lot of Germans were exploring the area last year, 'cause of the interesting rock formations there. :mrgreen:

Follow Gold Butte Byway for several miles to the south and then turn right to Devils Throad. From there u can drive in southwestern direction parallel to and after a while while into Mud Wash. It's a little bit sandy, but absolutely easy to drive. After a while u pass a corral and reach a second wash. That one u follow in southeastern direction. At the end is a section where the trail is washed out a little bit and there also is a small step.
Then follow the track to the end and park at the mesa with the palm trees.
This part is about 15 miles long.

What about the radio crystal mine? Should we stop there next year, when we are in that area again? Somehow I like that old stuff :nod:

PS: sorry, my English is not the best, I'm still improving. Just moved to Buffalo :haha:

so to red bluff spring it sounds like. wanted to go there too but no time. something for next trip out there. :2thumbs: thanks !

radio crystal mine is a working mine (i read) i thought it was a ranch or something and did not enter, stopping just shy and turning around because i thought i had gone the wrong dirt road. was trying to get back to the base of jumbo peak. so it is not really old stuff. once home i saw i was going the right way. crap. but if you look on topo maps there are lots of mines in that general area. i even saw some pics on google earth of some.

welcome to america !