PDA

View Full Version : wedding photo helpful hints

Redpb
10-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Apparently I have the nicest camera in the family and have been asked to take photo's for my step-sisters wedding.
This is a 2nd wedding so it's not a big to-do, but I would like to produce something more than just a guy with a camera.
It'll be indoors. I have a Nikon D40x.
Any suggestions, helpful hints, etc...?

DiscGo
10-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Get a bigger memory card, and take a ton of pictures :).

Good luck!

Deuce
10-25-2008, 07:24 PM
What are you working with as far as flash and lenses?

I know indoors, assuming at night....is going to REALLY work you light wise. You may consider renting a lens or 2 from http://www.pictureline.com/cat/507/Rental_Lenses/?go=1&rent=1&page=4 ....and maybe even flash.... http://www.pictureline.com/cat/510/Rental_Lighting_Etc./?go=1&rent=1&page=2

Anyway....just throwing out ideas..... I do not get paid to take pictures.....and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night....so that take for what it was worth.....

RedMan
10-26-2008, 12:46 AM
yeah, go to the wedding location before hand and work out the settings on the camera.

If the place has large windows go at the same time of day you will be taking the shots.

Try shooting some long shots across the room and see if your flash is up to the task.

Get lots of candid shots while the bride is getting ready, and groom is getting ready to run.

Wild One
10-27-2008, 09:33 AM
I was asked to shoot a wedding for my father in law's friends last winter. Dude, I don't think I'd ever do it again, unless I had a backup photographer with me. It was rediculously stressful and even though they only paid me a couple hundred bucks, I still wanted to do a really good job.

The ceremony was indoors, at night, with very low light which made it incredibly difficult. I had a detachable flash with a diffuser and shot almost everything with a Sigma 18-125mm lens. I found that it had excellent focal range for everything I needed.

A couple things I did do which really helped though:
--Took over 800 images (yep, eight hundred)
--Had lots of extra batteries for both camera and flash
--Metered every shot off of the bride's dress when she was in the picture (It is her day--no one else really matters)
--Had a list of shots I wanted to get before I got to the church
--Tried to act like I was enjoying myself
--Asked the minister what his "rules" were for pics during the actual ceremony (he was fine with pics but no flash :( )
--Recreated the ceremony afterward to get close ups of exchanging rings, lighting candles, etc.
--Used tons of different angles (stood on top of the podium, laid down on the floor, etc)
--Spent probably 10 hours in post processing (dude, that sucked)

A couple things I did NOT do that I wish I would've:
--Gone to the rehersal dinner to make sure I knew the plan
--Asked the bride and groom what kind of shots they wanted ahead of time
--Took charge of the pictures (I think this is key, b/c everyone expects that you already know what would be best--they aren't the "expert" after all)
--Asked someone else to shoot some shots as well

All in all I feel like they got what they paid for, but it was freaking hard work man!

Since you're doing it with family, it might be a bit easier to deal with though

Redpb
10-27-2008, 10:56 AM
So here's how it ended up.
A wish list.
I now want a bigger flash.
I also want a 18-200mm lens instead of the 18-55 and 55-200
A faster card. I have a 4gb card but I kept catching up to it and having to wait a few times. Not a big deal, but it would have been convenient.

Fortunately the groom had asked a family member as well to take some shots and he had the same camera kit. He and I teamed up and got pictures of the ceremony from all different sides and angles. Guests were covered, and post ceremony pics too. The toughest part was it was during the day time and this hall had HUGE stained glass windows on 3 sides.
I think between the two of us we came close to 750 pics.

shameem007
06-21-2011, 12:28 AM
yeah, go to the wedding location before hand and work out the settings on the camera.

If the place has large windows go at the same time of day you will be taking the shots.

Try shooting some long shots across the room and see if your flash is up to the task.

Get lots of candid shots while the bride is getting ready, and groom is getting ready to run.